Player Watch #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
No offence Bunk but that just sounds like more excuses. He can play, there is no doubt. The question mark is over whether he can fully commit. I’d love to see it, I really would.
Well, call it what you want. He’s a human, not a machine. It’s frustrating yes but it was clear as day he was battling some mental demons when he came over. And he’s barely been fit or had a preseason until this year. When he’s been on the park he’s been good... now he looks fitter than ever and it showed today.

The bloke isn’t Trent Cotchin or Andrew McGrath. If he was we wouldn’t have him, he’d be at the Dogs winning Colemans or Brownlows. He is who he is, and was a bargain.

Dero

Formerly "DERO"
Jan 22, 2013
TBC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC
I think your being too harsh.
He is the most talented player on our list and performs when he is on the park.

You don't ship those players out, you work at improving their work ethic to enable them to perform
I’d be happy to ship him out if he is not setting the right example. Bevo shipped him out for a reason and so should we if he is not presenting in the manner that he should.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
It does not really matter how. Unfortunately it points to lack of commitment. No one is questioning his talent but I am happy to question his commitment. He either shapes up or he ships out.
It happens. Not everyone is wired the same or they mature at a different rate. You are right in saying shape up or ship out.No argument from me ,however sometimes it is not as black and white as it looks. There have been a lot of off field things he has dealt with. Some of his own doing and other stuff he has had to work through.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
No offence Bunk but that just sounds like more excuses. He can play, there is no doubt. The question mark is over whether he can fully commit. I’d love to see it, I really would.
Thoughts on Joe then ?
Where you happy to ship him out ?
One of his biggest issues was not being 100% committed to preparation and injury recovery until 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

boncer34

Formerly "Doss"
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
This. Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's a weird take from Dero if I'm honest. The fact he openly admits he came back under done last time and has made sure it hasn't happened this time is something we should applaud him for.

It shows growth from Jake for me.

boncer34

Formerly "Doss"
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I don’t think that is what I was getting at all actually. That said, I’d be happy to trade him if he can’t keep it together.
You said he either shapes up or ships out based on the revelation he came back 7kg overweight last year.

He's clearly shaped up by not doing that this year. I'm starting to think you're not sure what you were trying to say. 😂

Dero

Formerly "DERO"
Jan 22, 2013
TBC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC
So yeah, apologies for suggesting that I would be happy to ship “him out if he can’t set the right example”.

amazing how sensitive people are around here .

I’m right too by the way.

Remove this Banner Ad