Retired 25. Jared Rivers (2013- 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why we are trading in players in their late 20s when I do not believe we can win a flag in the next two seasons with our weakish midfield.

Because we need experience as well and we had a hole. We also want to make the most of our older players whilst we still can, Bartel, Chapman, Enright etc!

Very happy with this, agree this is the club looking at both 2013 and 2015 and 2018.....

Because we need experience as well and we had a hole. We also want to make the most of our older players whilst we still can, Bartel, Chapman, Enright etc!

Very happy with this, agree this is the club looking at both 2013 and 2015 and 2018.....
I'm a bit worried about the succession plan for our backline. Who will be taking the key posts in 2015?

I don't know why we are trading in players in their late 20s when I do not believe we can win a flag in the next two seasons with our weakish midfield.

It's a fair call. The only explanation is that the Cats (rightly or wrongly) disagree and think that they can challenge for a flag before Bartel, Kelly and Johnson (especially) along with others hang them up. You could argue either way, as whether our midfield is weak, average or strong in two years time will depend entirely on the development of Duncan, Christensen, Menzel, Poodle, Caddy, Murdoch and possibly others like Guthrie, Horlin-Smith and Motlop.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but Sydney's midfield was probably looked at as being average this time last year and, perhaps more importantly, the players who seemed to explode in 2012 (Jack, Hanneberry, Jetta...Kennedy, to a lesser extent) all looked to actually be stagnating in 2011. The improvement can come from what we already have.

I started out the trade period with that opinion on Rivers and McIntosh.

The longer the trade period has gone on, the more I have warmed to it.

Free agency and the compensation picks destroying the draft has changed the landscape.

It would be very difficult for us to rebuild/refresh the list while finishing say 5th-10th and getting average first/second/third round picks.

As a club we are in a good place, but not being a traditional powerhouse club, a little slip off and we may struggle to grab a hold on the way down.

Look at St Kilda. They've slipped out of the 8 and copped it from both directions. Their prospects aren't great which means they have a star player in Goddard jump ship, and they also can't attract anyone to their club during this trade period (circa Geelong until Ottens).

Rivers and McIntosh will keep us competitive, keep us an attractive place for future free agents to go, and hopefully go towards us continuing to be a place where players want to stay rather than jump ship for a more successful side.

I'm hoping that the injection of Menzel back into the F50, along with the addition of Rivers into the B50, will allow Bartel to spend some more time in the middle. We still have Kelly and Selwood in there too. I'd hardly call our midfield weak, maybe just 'average' or middle of the road.

I'm a bit worried about the succession plan for our backline. Who will be taking the key posts in 2015?

God knows.
You? Me?
Its a worry...
I would bet though that the Cats have it covered, or atleast are fully aware of the potential weakness in 2-3 years time when Taylor and Lonners retire, I'd back them in to make the right decision.

I just home home from work to the double celebration.

We'll win the flag next year if McIntosh stays fit.

Mark my words.:thumbsu:

I started out the trade period with that opinion on Rivers and McIntosh.

The longer the trade period has gone on, the more I have warmed to it.

Free agency and the compensation picks destroying the draft has changed the landscape.

It would be very difficult for us to rebuild/refresh the list while finishing say 5th-10th and getting average first/second/third round picks.

As a club we are in a good place, but not being a traditional powerhouse club, a little slip off and we may struggle to grab a hold on the way down.

Look at St Kilda. They've slipped out of the 8 and copped it from both directions. Their prospects aren't great which means they have a star player in Goddard jump ship, and they also can't attract anyone to their club during this trade period (circa Geelong until Ottens).

Rivers and McIntosh will keep us competitive, keep us an attractive place for future free agents to go, and hopefully go towards us continuing to be a place where players want to stay rather than jump ship for a more successful side.

Agree totally , the bolded are the compelling factors that we have to face if we are to continue to challenge and be a force. We will no doubt see a lot more selective topping up as FA becomes more established and understood.
I also love that we have debued 21 players over the last 3 seasons , no doubt we will have a well informed view of our youth as a result of this. Depth is so vital and we look to be accumulating a fair amount of it for 2013.
Will await the final details but if we have kept some low picks and picked up Caddy , Rivers and HMac and not traded away any guns I think Wells and company can take a well earned bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really rate Hawks, WCE Midfield that high either.. both have one star (Mitchell, Kerr) then the rest are just solid contributors ( eg: Priddis, Sewell) We have that too in Selwood and Kelly. The Killer for me is why we don't play Bartel in the mids anymore. I thought Johnson's Clearance work has been solid too.

IMO the only current star midfield are Sydney and Pies. Pies was well off without Ball this year and don't seem as defensive as there where under Malthouse.

God knows.
You? Me?
Its a worry...
I would bet though that the Cats have it covered, or atleast are fully aware of the potential weakness in 2-3 years time when Taylor and Lonners retire, I'd back them in to make the right decision.

It's really not that big a deal, we'll still have Taylor and hopefully one of Lonergan or Rivers. We do need to find someone in the draft this year or next though. Free agency might allow us to find someone.

Great post. It was so long ago, but I remember it was a big news story when Ottens came to Geelong, that a big name, in-demand young player actually wanted to go to Geelong. It was practically unheard of at the time. And it's been great for us in this trade period. But a few seasons of mediocre results will change that perception very quickly and we'll become an ugly step sister to Melbourne clubs for most trade period targets, particularly those wanting to return to Victoria (read: Melbourne).

Happy with Rivers. Seasoned defenders don't grow on trees.
Let's not get too carried away with winning the flag.

But to have a key position player up and going by 2015 they need to be playing senior footy in 2013.
FA is a whole new world SJ if you need one you can pluck one from somewhere else even though most of our preferences is to grow our own players but the football world is changing and we have to learn to adapt or be left behind

I dont know what to make of this to be honest, he could really thrive playing with some good defenders in Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan and Enright and be a pretty dominant player and lead the league in that stat Tommy Harley loves so much 'marks from opposition kicks'.

But we do have a huge number of players 28-32. Adding another two, feels wrong to me.

I am rapt. I have always rated Rivers' talent highly. Will be very interesting to see how he functions in an elite team & program and being a genuine 3rd tall. This means our rucks can push forward a little more aggressively.

I dont know what to make of this to be honest, he could really thrive playing with some good defenders in Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan and Enright and be a pretty dominant player and lead the league in that stat Tommy Harley loves so much 'marks from opposition kicks'.

But we do have a huge number of players 28-32. Adding another two, feels wrong to me.

If we win the flag next year (or at least go close) would you say it's been worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back