Retired 25. Jared Rivers (2013- 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jared's mum on the phone tonight wishing him happy birthday - "and what did you get for your birthday today Jared ? "
Jared's response "out of hell and off to glory"

;)
For a so called defender, Rivers gets beaten one-on-one 90% of the time.
Expect him to take the opposition's 6th best forward.

you reckon he is a better player than Josh Gibson?
Gibson stepped up a bit this year, particularly with his ball use and is in front of Rivers by a bit.

Rivers plays the 3rd tall role beautifully though. He works very well with other defenders, knows when to leave his man, is courageous and never gets intimidated by any task. Our defense has always been under pressure and he has always met the challenge IMO. Gibson would be preferable to marking a KPF (although neither are really designed for that) and perhaps a surer bet coming out of defense than Rivers but Riv isn't a slouch. He'll make any opponent earn it and he usually makes good decisions.

Why don't you squeeze those sour grapes into wine and take the night off champ

Total garbage...in fact quite the opposite.

Rivers is a tremendous pick up IMO. He will play that third tall position wonderfully for us, and it gives time to people like Hambling and Bathie to continue their development.

Rivers is a very good player. Very strong in the air and can deliver the ball. I am over the moon! Also....

The Geelong Board will be pleased to know I will now stop whining about our lack of KPD's now. :thumbsu:

That's all we need him to take

Lonergan and Taylor take the two best bigs
Enright and Mackie take mediums
Rivers and Guthrie take whatever is left over

Having Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Enright will no doubt help his game as he won't find himself under so much pressure even though Melbourne have an underrated defense, Rivers can become a similar type to Milburn and it's a great pickup.
The only issue is the Mitch Brown dilemma, we need to be playing these blokes as often as we can and having Rivers down back may mean Brown's position on the ground is gone, for the meantime.
just a suggestion to our mods :eek:;) could we merge the caddy/hmac & rivers trades as one !? is alot of replying n jumping of threads :)

Ignore the trolls, great pick up for the Cats. Has been the general in our backline for years, great reader of the play.

With younger players coming through (McDonald) plus a few other internal changes (Dunn back, Seller in etc.) he's become somewhat surplus to requirements, but that's no reflection on his capabilities. Wish him well, and he'll be a more than useful contributor. Wasn't second in our best and fairest in 2011 for nothing.

Looks like we're going for the premiership next year.

Seems like a great player who can handle pressure. Will fit in well. :thumbsu:

just a suggestion to our mods :eek:;) could we merge the caddy/hmac & rivers trades as one !? is alot of replying n jumping of threads :)

we need an off season thread for everything & anything, so amusing videos like these can entertain those who get bored easily :)

in no way am I making fun of this persons religion either, whenever anybody has trouble on a machine as basic as a treadmill, it can be good for a laugh.
(just wanna make that clear)

BBP is a useless troll who doesn't even post on the Melbourne board. Rivers will kill it for you guys he also has a handy for you guys habit of flogging Roughead even when we were getting pumped. He also busted Ben Dixon's face one day as a youngster. I know you guys have a thing for Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute bargain price for a very underrated player. Rivers was one of few who stood up when Melbourne was getting pumped and will play his role as 3rd tall very well. It might not seem right to go pick up a 28yo but this not only puts us in a better position to win another flag in the next few years, it will help with the development of the younger kids. This might mean less senior games but Knights has done a superb job developing the vfl squad and you can see them come into the seniors and have an immediate impact. There are no standout tall defenders in the vfl atm and they are stil young so in 3yrs time, they will be ready when our current talls are ready to pull up stumps.

Dont know abt everyone else but i am very excited with the pickups and cant wait for round 1! Is this the best lot of players we have ever picked up in the draft ?!

Welcome to Geelong Jared. Clearly the MC is under pressure as next year is an odd year when we need to win the flag. ;)

Anyways he is a very good get for the Pussies.

I'll go as far as saying with the Cats structures and being in a finals team that Riv could be a smokey for All-Australian next year, he'd played exceptional football this year despite being thrown backwards and forwards. Of course with our putrid record this year, besides Nathan Jones everything else went unnoticed.

If he didn't get thrown forward for a decent chunk of the season then I reckon he would have ended up runner up to Nathan Jones (by a fair distance but runner-up nonetheless) in the Bluey.

I am rapt. I have always rated Rivers' talent highly. Will be very interesting to see how he functions in an elite team & program and being a genuine 3rd tall. This means our rucks can push forward a little more aggressively.

I'm with you witsend, more pleased with the acquisition of Rivers than Hmac. And who doesn't like a bargain :thumbsu:

Are you going to cut and paste this into every thread about the Rivers signing?

SJ this is for you. Set me straight here.
3 premierships in 5 years. How good was that! How good was our player group.
Now for the next campaign, beginning I assume from 2015. We have a brilliant emerging pool of stars for the next premiership launch. We can add to this star pool next month by some clever draft picks from a choice, I have read, the best in recent years.
Why have we traded 2012 draft picks for 25+ players (Rivers, HMac) to patch up a few short term holes?
What am I missing here?

SJ this is for you. Set me straight here.
3 premierships in 5 years. How good was that! How good was our player group.
Now for the next campaign, beginning I assume from 2015. We have a brilliant emerging pool of stars for the next premiership launch. We can add to this star pool next month by some clever draft picks from a choice, I have read, the best in recent years.
Why have we traded 2012 draft picks for 25+ players (Rivers, HMac) to patch up a few short term holes?
What am I missing here?
Surely one of two alternatives;
1) The belief that we have a genuine shot next year (which I don't really hold, to be honest), or
2) The belief that in order to cultivate a culture of success, clubs must never 'bottom out'.

We are topping up. There can be no doubt about it.

My take is that the Swans are the worst side in the last 10 years to win a flag. The talent pool of the comp is thin with 18 teams. We could have won it this year with a bit of luck. They must figure we can still win it in 2013.

It does seem to go against Chris Scott's "we will not compromise the future".

We are topping up. There can be no doubt about it.

My take is that the Swans are the worst side in the last 10 years to win a flag. The talent pool of the comp is thin with 18 teams. We could have won it this year with a bit of luck. They must figure we can still win it in 2013.

It does seem to go against Chris Scott's "we will not compromise the future".

It's that attitude that cost us this season.

Playing Simpkin and Murchoch over Wojo and Byrnes.....in a finals game?

Sucks knowing we beat Hawthorn, Adelaide and Sydney just a few weeks before the finals and then loosing to a team lower then us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back