Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sub 3 second 20m sprint and particularly quick over the first 5-10m

I've no doubt Mahoney (less so Turner with his new role) has his work cutout

The last natural goal kicking forward we drafted of his type was Kieran Harper.

This kid is seriously talented and one of the most underrated players coming into this draft. Western Jets syndrome is why he's slipped, similar to Eddie Ford last year.

I rate Curtis higher than I did Ford at the same time last year. Mercurial.

Souup, do you see him as a small-forward or a medium-forward? I'm a bit worried he'll be lost in-between.

I get the feeling that if we went Lohmann earlier, we would not have picked Curtis as well. You compared Lohmann to Alex Fasolo, so who do you compare Curtis too?

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Souup, do you see him as a small-forward or a medium-forward? I'm a bit worried he'll be lost in-between.

I get the feeling that if we went Lohmann earlier, we would not have picked Curtis as well. You compared Lohmann to Alex Fasolo, so who do you compare Curtis too?

When you've got the footy IQ, skills, goal sense and evasiveness that this bloke has, it doesn't matter how you class him, whether short or medium.

He can beat you in many ways - crumbs it, marks it on the lead, out-bodies his opponent, opportunistic snaps conjuring something from nothing, on the run.

Comparison would be something like a Didak/Greene hybrid type. Didak in him being a small left-footed small forward who is quite crafty and opportunistic, but like Toby Greene in the sense that he can beat you in many ways and is very hard to match-up on as a result.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
When you've got the footy IQ, skills, goal sense and evasiveness that this bloke has, it doesn't matter how you class him, whether short or medium.

He can beat you in many ways - crumbs it, marks it on the lead, out-bodies his opponent, opportunistic snaps conjuring something from nothing, on the run.

Comparison would be something like a Didak/Greene hybrid type. Didak in him being a small left-footed small forward who is quite crafty and opportunistic, but like Toby Greene in the sense that he can beat you in many ways and is very hard to match-up on as a result.

Is his pressure good and what’s his pace like

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is his pressure good and what’s his pace like

Averaged 5+ tackles per game (3.75 inside 50m tackles) in the last 4 games of the season which is where he really turned it on and took his game to another level.

Had a few games where he took 2 contested marks. Averaged a tick under 5 shots on goal a game in the last 4 games and averaged a tick over 8 score involvements.

To put in context why this was so impressive: This is all for a team that was sub-par for the whole season and averaged a score of 56 total points per game.

To answer your question without feeding you stats, his forward pressure only got better as the season wore on and really rounded out his game to leave very few weaknesses. I mentioned it earlier but he's sub 3 second 20m sprint and has an elite first 5-10m.

EDIT: For those that care (I know a lot hate it, but I think they have their place), he averaged 124 champion data/supercoach points over the last 4 games of the season

Jul 12, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
This kid is seriously talented and one of the most underrated players coming into this draft. Western Jets syndrome is why he's slipped, similar to Eddie Ford last year.

I rate Curtis higher than I did Ford at the same time last year. Mercurial.

What is the Western Jets syndrome for those that don't watch the the U18s?

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Averaged 5+ tackles per game (3.75 inside 50m) in the last 4 games of the season which is where he really turned it on and took his game to another level.

Had a few games where he took 2 contested marks. Averaged a tick under 5 shots on goal a game in the last 4 games and averaged a tick over 8 score involvements.

To put in context why this was so impressive: This is all for a team that was sub-par for the whole season and averaged a score of 56 total points per game.

To answer your question without feeding you stats, pressure only got better as the season wore on and really rounded out his game to leave very few weaknesses. I mentioned it earlier but he's sub 3 second 20m sprint and has an elite first 5-10m
But Bazzo

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Some muppet on Insta is blowing up over us selecting Curtis instead of Bazzo.

Welcome Paul and kick ass

I read some of the comments by one *******. It’s one thing carrying on like a tool on BF, but it’s next level making a campaigner of yourself on an official club page.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Averaged 5+ tackles per game (3.75 inside 50m tackles) in the last 4 games of the season which is where he really turned it on and took his game to another level.

To answer your question without feeding you stats, his forward pressure only got better as the season wore on and really rounded out his game to leave very few weaknesses. I mentioned it earlier but he's sub 3 second 20m sprint and has an elite first 5-10m.

EDIT: For those that care (I know a lot hate it, but I think they have their place), he averaged 124 champion data/supercoach points over the last 4 games of the season

Might of been easier to state his weaknesses lol

Sounds like a jet in more ways than one.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I read some of the comments by one *******. It’s one thing carrying on like a tool on BF, but it’s next level making a campaigner of yourself on an official club page.

Yeah some people have lost it - it’s not like we passed on Dench or Roscoe

It’s a kid that has dreams and to cop that on his happiest day is just sad

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is the Western Jets syndrome for those that don't watch the the U18s?

Western Jets have been left behind a few of the other catchment areas in the last decade or so.

With the evolution of school football and some of the biggest school football sides not being in their catchment area, they haven’t been the most competitive side of recent times. Hence some of their better players can get tarred with that brush.

Jul 12, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
For whatever reason (there's a number of factors) Western Jets players are underrated year after year and draftable players tend to get picked up later than they should

Thanks. I can see that with Eddie Ford - he looks like a natural footballer where nothing fazes him.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For whatever reason (there's a number of factors) Western Jets players are underrated year after year and draftable players tend to get picked up later than they should

Couple of exceptions to that rule being Cam Rayner (who has justified being a number 1 pick), Zac Butters and Callan Ward (but that was a long time ago now).

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Couple of exceptions to that rule being Cam Rayner (who has justified being a number 1 pick), Zac Butters and Callan Ward (but that was a long time ago now).

Ford last year was a classic example. He had one of the most impressive highlight reels. Great size & athleticism. Great attitude. Kicked a bag in the All Star game. Yet still slipped to the 50’s.

Did he not interview as well as the posh kids? I don’t really get it.

Back