Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I called his move to CHB in 2010. Im a genius.

Except he is a full back.

And you said Petrie should be CHB. Not so genius.

Except he is a full back.

And you said Petrie should be CHB. Not so genius.

CHB or FB dont get so technical and did we even try Petrie at CHB? How could that be classified as a failure without trying. Admit it, im a genius.

North Melbourne defender Robbie Tarrant on his move into defence and how his luck has finally turned

ROBBIE Tarrant must have thought he couldn’t buy luck at the end of 2014.

At that stage, through seven years of a career that had promised so much, Tarrant had played only 39 games due to a series of persistent shoulder and leg injuries that derailed campaign after campaign.

With a stress fracture in his tibia prematurely ending his 2014 season after just one match, the time had come for fortune to finally favour the young player rated so highly in his draft year, he was taken by North Melbourne inside the first round.

However, slowly edged out of a forward line headed by Drew Petrie and bolstered by the emergence of Ben Brown and Aaron Black, it was put to Tarrant at season’s end that he should trial a move down back.

Not only did that prove a decision that would revitalise his career, but it was one that came amid the best run of both form and fitness the now 28-year-old has ever enjoyed in his decade-long stint at Arden Street.

Tarrant’s impact in North’s back six has continued in the first half of this season, where he has reaffirmed his position as one of the game’s best key position defenders and remains on track for another tilt at an All-Australian guernsey.

He ranks inside the top five among all key defenders for disposals, tackles, rebound and metres gained — while he also averages 2.7 intercept marks and 7.7 intercept possessions per game.

But according to Tarrant, not much has changed in terms of his preparations over the last three years — just some continuity with both his body and with the teammates around him.

“I’ve just been focusing on the same as normal, trying to work with the other defenders as best as we can and helping each other out,” Tarrant said.

“It’s awesome to play alongside Scotty (Thompson). We’ve started to work really well together over the last year and a half, so the more you play together, the better you work together.

“We’ve got a couple of young blokes down there as well in Ed Vickers-Willis and Aaron Mullett and we’re all starting to know our role and play it, which is good.

“I’m just a small part of the backline and we’re all doing a good job at the minute.”

ecdef96192a8273ddbfdcf47b3beba93

Tarrant spoils Buddy Franklin in Round 9. Picture: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia

Indeed, North Melbourne as a team has turned its fortunes around following a strong month of footy.

Having started the season with a disappointing 0-5 record, the Kangaroos have won four of their last five games — with victories over the Demons and the Blues in recent weeks coming despite brave late fightbacks from the opposition.

Such resolve is a far cry from the criticisms aimed at the club earlier in the year, when they gave up three-quarter time leads to Geelong, the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle — losing all three games by under a kick.

On Sunday, a 45-point lead over Carlton was relinquished in the final term, only for North Melbourne to storm away late in the game and keep the side’s finals chances alive.

According to Tarrant, it was reward for effort following a harsh learning period for a young and rebuilding side.

“It was really important,” Tarrant said.

“Obviously they came at us in those second and third quarters and the first half of the last quarter, so to hold on is pleasing because at the start of the season we’d have probably dropped that.

“So to improve on our start and to win our last couple when teams have come at us, it’s good.

“You gain confidence in the processes, but we’ve got to keep building on that. We’re getting there, slowly.”

As someone who has watched North since the early 90s, he is best defender we've had. Pips Archer, laps everyone else. He stops gun forwards, intercept marks, provides rebound.

Im keen to hear how others rate him relative to our best.

I'd have Arch and Martyn ahead of him based on longevity - I mean I agree Arch rivals him straight up and beats him over the journey, but Martyn got the job done for a decade against some of the best full forwards in history.

Taz outstrips Micky if you compare Taz's last 2 years to any of Mick's 2 years, but the fact Mick got it done for so long counts in my book.

And on a 2 year basis I'd have Choppy running pretty close from the 99-00 when he played as a defender. Different role but.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Arch and Martyn ahead of him based on longevity - I mean I agree Arch rivals him straight up and beats him over the journey, but Martyn got the job done for a decade against some of the best full forwards in history.

Taz outstrips Micky if you compare Taz's last 2 years to any of Mick's 2 years, but the fact Mick got it done for so long counts in my book.

And on a 2 year basis I'd have Choppy running pretty close from the 99-00 when he played as a defender. Different role but.
Fair call. Im basing my judgement on the peak reached like you pointed out. He doesn't compare on longevity.

But if he puts up another 4-5 years similar to the past 2.5, he becomes an all time great of the club.

Mim criminally underrated and despite the dodgy action, would have kicked that goal Tarrant missed

Dench (didn't see, but before his time)
Glendinning (remember him as a 6 year old in the '88 final v dees playing for WCE, gun from highlights)
Archer (all time gun, would be our best current field kick behind Higgins)
Martyn (Hard, fast & gave a s**t)
Tarrant - coming

Not Schwass in 1st q 96 GF
Not Watt on Gehrig

Dench and Rossco Glendinning are the best KPB's we've had in my time. Taz is looking good to make a very worthy third in line.
I don't disagree at all, Glendenning often played forward as well iirc. John Law is waving from the carpark, says he is on his way too :-D

Taz is an absolute monster, love the way he matches up on key position forwards such as Buddy and Walker. He doesn't mind being aggressive, having a tussle and getting in their face. He doesn't let anyone stand over him he's an absolute legend his stats are through the roof and continue to grow week on week. Should be All Australian this year, if he isn't we should boycott AFL!

As someone who has watched North since the early 90s, he is best defender we've had. Pips Archer, laps everyone else. He stops gun forwards, intercept marks, provides rebound.

Im keen to hear how others rate him relative to our best.
I agree.

Given that Archer was smaller than most of the key forwards he played against, he did incredibly well to be so effective. Mick certainly wasn't as skilled as Taz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back