Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So is Tarrant the Best Full back we have ever had? I think its worth a debate.
Still yet to be named AA, but this bloke has been something else, we conceded inside 50s at will and there he is mopping things up.
It helps that Thommo is also in decent form.

Definitely in the conversation of Top 10 if not Top 5 North Defenders of all time.

It's hard to top Dench & Martyn though.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I think Taz's ball use and marking ability pushes him slightly ahead of Mick as an overall defender, but it's tight as Mick played in an era of gun forwards and one on one footy.

That being said, defenders today have a lot more to think about than just their direct opponent.

On the Couch last night mentioned that Taz has not lost a single one on one contest all year. 43 contests for 43 wins.

20190723_103922.jpg

Last edited:
On the Couch last night mentioned that Taz has not lost a single one on one contest all year. 43 contests for 43 wins.

View attachment 713785
That’s a bit weird. Stats pro has him losing 10 of 43. Which is still bloody good. Maybe the definition of 1v1 is more than just marking contests and he hasn’t been outmarked (which is bloody impressive)

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
That’s a bit weird. Stats pro has him losing 10 of 43. Which is still bloody good. Maybe the definition of 1v1 is more than just marking contests and he hasn’t been outmarked (which is bloody impressive)
I seem to recall he got done 1v1 by Bruce late in the game. He filthed up at the lack of pressure up field.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I seem to recall he got done 1v1 by Bruce late in the game. He filthed up at the lack of pressure up field.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I reckon he filthied up at Goldy for his shithouse smothered kick.

One thing I noticed getting to see a rare live game is that he's like a predator. Most defenders will be a metre away from their man. Taz bends and makes contact with his man giving him no mental release. Then when we win position he runs off him and instantly gets separation. #rentfree

Confidence is shot.
Thank god we were solid after quarter time.
Was seeing the footy like tennis balls and he lost all faith in his hands.
Evident when he spoiled the footy straight to his man in Gunston in the last.

But * did he save us in the last when Hawthorn came at us.

True shinboner performance.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Confidence is shot.
Thank god we were solid after quarter time.
Was seeing the footy like tennis balls and he lost all faith in his hands.
Evident when he spoiled the footy straight to his man in Gunston in the last.

But fu** did he save us in the last when Hawthorn came at us.

True shinboner performance.
Spot on, couldn't hold a mark then just decided to go the spoil all game.

Back