Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question but why do supporters get bitter about a player deciding to leave and go elsewhere especially someone who has given everything to the club already when on the flip side the fans are happy for an up and coming player who another club have poured 5 years into development and have plans to be the mainstay full forward once in this case Jack R retires at end of next season.

Yeah your losing a player who has been great for you but getting Coleman Jones is going to well and truly make up for that in the long run.

Genuine question but why do supporters get bitter about a player deciding to leave and go elsewhere especially someone who has given everything to the club already when on the flip side the fans are happy for an up and coming player who another club have poured 5 years into development and have plans to be the mainstay full forward once in this case Jack R retires at end of next season.

Yeah your losing a player who has been great for you but getting Coleman Jones is going to well and truly make up for that in the long run.
There's really not that many who are bitter. Most have wished him well.

Not bitter just sad. Loved him as a player and I am allowed to be disappointed he is leaving. Some players go to other clubs and I barely raise an eyebrow but Robbie isn't one of them for me.

Bit of a shame but don't begrudge him chasing a flag at Tigers. And at the same time even though he is a gun defender and will be missed short term, we do have a bit of a positional log jam with Walker, Corr, Ziebell and McKay wanting to play down back.
Also if we draft a young key defender we might want to give him some game time to build a long term back six/seven for a premiership tilt which unfortunately Robbie wouldn't be part of. Any idea what kind of compensation we would get, if any?

We're not melting about it and demanding Jy Simpkin and pick 1 for a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a shame but don't begrudge him chasing a flag at Tigers. And at the same time even though he is a gun defender and will be missed short term, we do have a bit of a positional log jam with Walker, Corr, Ziebell and McKay wanting to play down back.
Also if we draft a young key defender we might want to give him some game time to build a long term back six/seven for a premiership tilt which unfortunately Robbie wouldn't be part of. Any idea what kind of compensation we would get, if any?

I honestly think Tigers are on the decline and we’re on the rise.

Thinking about it, timing seems a bit odd though. If he had a 2 year offer from Richmond, and us upping to 2 made no difference. Why even entertain an offer from us?

I think faith has been paid both ways, so at his age, surely he wasn't that put off by an initial offer of a year?

Well played by Brady offering 2 years. If we'd stuck to a 1 year deal, the narrative would have been we didnt offer club great what hes worth. Robbie has decided to leave on his own accord, with a two year deal from us left on the table. Which he is entitled to do.
Thanks for being a rock in defence Robbie, our most dependable player of the last 10 years. Good luck

Sad to see him go but with Higgins moving and seeing Brown playing in a grand final next week this would have swayed his decision.
Also after his dust up with Jade Rawlings, the surgery he had this year and then finishing 17th and 18th reckon Robbie wanted a change.
Tbh if we offered him 1 then upped it after then I can’t blame him for leaving.
Feel like Robbie is a straight shooter and stalling him hurt him deeply. Like was he only worth 2 after Richmond offered him 2?

The statement by the club just seems like it’s a very very messy exit. Opposite of Higgins.

Anyways he won’t be part of our next flag tilt but still its disappointing to see him depart, and like Higgins and Brown once his allegiance changes he means nothing to me.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Robbie will get cheered by North supporters 2022 when he takes the field against us. Corey was, Mick was, Schwatta was.
Carey wasn't for obvious reasons.

Sad to see him go but with Higgins moving and seeing Brown playing in a grand final next week this would have swayed his decision.
Also after his dust up with Jade Rawlings, the surgery he had this year and then finishing 17th and 18th reckon Robbie wanted a change.
Tbh if we offered him 1 then upped it after then I can’t blame him for leaving.
Feel like Robbie is a straight shooter and stalling him hurt him deeply. Like was he only worth 2 after Richmond offered him 2?

The statement by the club just seems like it’s a very very messy exit. Opposite of Higgins.

Anyways he won’t be part of our next flag tilt but still its disappointing to see him depart, and like Higgins and Brown once his allegiance changes he means nothing to me.
new name for you now?

Very sad to see Taz leave. He’s been a gem. However, we have adults in the room now. Not everything will fall our way along our path to success. However, the one area that everybody here seems most worried about is our ageing backline. Something like this is bound to happen. It’s akin to having a plaster ripped off. It’ll prove better in the long run.

* Maybe, Sam Durdin will nominate for the draft… 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very sad to see him go for a couple of reasons; firstly he’s been an absolute weapon for us over the journey and secondly this player thread was started by the great man Lidge RIP.

Love you Taz and all the very best in life after footy (not at the Tiges 😉)..

The other take is that Taz was pretty loyal to the Club when others were hardly falling over themselves to join us. He would have walked into every other team but he stuck fat.

And we were loyal to him when his body was failing and a Syd Barker would've seemed like fantasy.

Each to their own on this one. One door closes and so on.

I'd say the thread has been 99% supportive and those that aren't just are surprised. We went through the same with Higgins last season. Can't speak for other forums like Twitter or Facebook but if you're basing it on the North board it comes off a little like wishful thinking. From my observation one supporter base is being supportive of their player looking for a different opportunity and another has torn a guy to shreds for looking for a different opportunity, I'll let you work out which one is which.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back