Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic Tas. Read the posts I'm not talking about the quality of defending, just corrected Benno that Thompson kept Buddy goalless twice.

That's my point though, Tarrant is great because he often doesn't give his opponent the opportunity to have many shots on goal, especially if the players up the field are doing their job. When your opponent has 6 scoring shots then I put it down more to luck than great defending.

Last edited:
That's my point though, Tarrant is great because he often doesn't give his opponent the opportunity to have many shots on goal, especially of the players up the field are doing their job. When your opponent has 6 scoring shots then I put it down more to luck than great defending.

Buddy is a bit of a different proposition though - he is going to get his 6-7 scoring shots most weeks simply due to his size and athleticism (he had seven against Tarrant earlier in the year), it's more about controlling where he has the shots from.

Thompson in 2013 was pretty special. At that point I thought he was the best key back I'd seen at North in terms of overall impact (never saw Glendinning, Dench etc) and Tarrant's 2016 is probably as good so far.
Glendinning isn't a bad comparison actually, in terms of style and effectiveness. Cool-headed, took the mark when it was there to be taken, rebounded with aplomb. Ross probably ran with, and bounced, the ball more, but not dissimilar.

That's my point though, Tarrant is great because he often doesn't give his opponent the opportunity to have many shots on goal, especially of the players up the field are doing their job. When your opponent has 6 scoring shots then I put it down more to luck than great defending.
Alright but you didn't need to reply to me to say this because I wasn't making any argument about Tarrant vs Thompson or Thompson's game in 2013 v 2014 or any argument at all really but you don't seem to realise or care. Play on.

Buddy is a bit of a different proposition though - he is going to get his 6-7 scoring shots most weeks simply due to his size and athleticism (he had seven against Tarrant earlier in the year), it's more about controlling where he has the shots from.

Yeah, and I would say Tarrant didn't have the best of days on that occasion and wasn't helped much by his team mates who didn't put much pressure on. Had Buddy missed all the shots, that wouldn't have made Tarrant's effort any better as he didn't prevent his opponent from having the opportunity. Luck doesn't really play a factor if you are effective or not.

There is a consistency with my point of view which there isn't with you two who are arguing the ability of the forward to convert impacts how well you are playing. I disagree.

Embarrassing to think id written him off to the extent he was already delisted in my mind.

What a defender he has become! Im amazed he can play so consistently at such a high level. Bloke is an out and out gun and should be leading the Syd by a fair margin. Has to be a lock in the farce that is AA selection.

Yeah Thompson took the game on, whereas Tarrant plays more of a quarterback sort of role with his field kicking (which is close to the best on our list).

Can he frigging roost the ball or what? Probably the biggest accurate kick we've had since... Rocca maybe? I think he could clear 60m without even digging into his wind up... hits them almost a perfect arc. Not too high, not too flat. Will enjoy seeing him kick the winning goal in the grand final from 65m out after running off CHB.

Glendinning isn't a bad comparison actually, in terms of style and effectiveness. Cool-headed, took the mark when it was there to be taken, rebounded with aplomb. Ross probably ran with, and bounced, the ball more, but not dissimilar.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record but Glendinning was so good that when the northerly blew at Arden St he would often just stay down the swimming pool end and be chf one quarter and chb the next.

His slight Achilles heel was an opponent who ran around a lot. Geelong often played Michael Turner on him.

We did the same by playing wingers like Phil Kelly at chf on Val Perovic.

Oh and at chb Tarrant is a bit like Glendinning, except maybe Tarrant is a more prolific spoiler of the ball.

prime example of not writing off a big man until they've played a chunk of games

Big Kudos to the club for having faith in his ability and great to see he's paying it back in spades

Sorry for sounding like a broken record but Glendinning was so good that when the northerly blew at Arden St he would often just stay down the swimming pool end and be chf one quarter and chb the next.

His slight Achilles heel was an opponent who ran around a lot. Geelong often played Michael Turner on him.

We did the same by playing wingers like Phil Kelly at chf on Val Perovic.

Oh and at chb Tarrant is a bit like Glendinning, except maybe Tarrant is a more prolific spoiler of the ball.

yeah Rossco was pretty awesome footballer, except for the 78 GF, but he was just a wee lad then

I said something similar about a month ago, but I'm now adding some cause & effect to the equation:

- If Taz doesn't win the B&F, I won't recognise the medal in future years

- If Taz doesn't win our own votes tally here, then you can all G&GF. (It's a joke that it's as close as it is right now).

He has by a mile been our best & most consistent player all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His form has been good all year, and was recognized as such by the media in the first half of the year, but now you don't hear a thing about him. Watch Rance and Tallia and others get all the talk and AA team recognition while Taz gets ignored. ******* pathetic.

His form has been good all year, and was recognized as such by the media in the first half of the year, but now you don't hear a thing about him. Watch Rance and Tallia and others get all the talk and AA team recognition while Taz gets ignored. ******* pathetic.

Pretty certain I heard Gerard Healy a few weeks back say there were 3 contenders for the AA full-back position: Rance, Talia & ..... Heath Grundy!

Hand up. I thought Robbie Tarrant was a list clogger. I was very wrong. He has stood up.

Amazing what a good run does, confidence onfield and in his body was all he needed. Was always a talent. Will (Should) be leading our bnf by the length of the flemington straight.

Without him this year we would of been well and truly ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back