Selection 16: Ryan Schoenmakers

Schoe246x316a.jpg
Ryan Schoenmakers

Watch Ryan Schoenmakers in action

Date of birth: 8/11/90
Height: 193.4cm
Weight: 85kg
Club: Norwood (SA)

Bio: A forward with good endurance, Schoenmakers is strong overhead, effective with both feet and a handy goalkicker. A South Australian under-18 representative in 2008, Schoenmakers is from Tea Tree Gully FC.

Jason McCartney says: Ryan played a bit down back early in the carnival, but moved up forward in the last couple of games when SA played very well. He was that third tall who covered the ground really well and had a fantastic set of hands. He was a real key to his side's success here in Melbourne in those last two games of the carnival. He's just a really good size and shape and he won the repeat sprint test at draft camp which tells you a bit about his running ability.
Stats: NAB AFL Under 18 Championships Team Mt K HB D M HO T G S.A. 5 6.8 3.8 10.6 3.2 0.8 1.0 0.4Draft Camp highlights: 1st repeat sprints (six x 30m sprints) 24.82sec
6th 20m sprint 2.9sec
=7th standing vertical jump 69cm
In his own words
What sort of player are you?
I’d say I’m an athletic centre half-forward. I like to cover a fair bit of ground and deliver the ball to the full-forwards.

Strengths?
My biggest strengths are probably my skills and my athleticism. For a big guy, those two attributes come in handy and I’m not too bad at taking a mark overhead either.

Weaknesses?
My weakness is probably at the one-on-one contests. I tend to get pushed out the way at marking contests a bit, so I need to work on my upper body strength and get better in that area.

Which AFL club do you support?
I’ve always been a Crows man.

Which AFL player do you most resemble?
I suppose I’m a bit similar to Ryan O’Keefe. He runs a lot, has good skills and works up the ground a lot, as well as kicking goals, so he’s someone I watch a lot.

Re: Ryan Schoenmakers

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/tabid/4742/Default.aspx?newsid=70427

What the club says

By Ben Casanelia 2:01 PM Sat 29 November, 2008
Schoe246x316a.jpg
Hawthorn are keen to see Ryan Schoenmakers in defence

List manager Chris Pelchen tells hawthornfc.com.au about the club's five selections in the national draft

Selection 16: Ryan Schoenmakers
Norwood, SA, medium forward, November 11, 1990, 192cm, 85kg
“Ryan, while primarily playing his football as a forward, we think he’s got all the key attributes to be developed into a defender. He’s an outstanding kick, he won the repeat speed at the draft camp and that’s for a boy who is almost 194cm … We think he can play defence with that closing speed.”

ryan-schoemakers---action.jpg
Ryan Schoenmakers. Courtesy AFL
RYAN SCHOENMAKERS - NORWOOD / TEA TREE GULLY FC
8/11/90
193.4cm
83.7kgs

An exciting forward prospect Ryan is a goal kicker who possesses excellent skills both sides of the body. A natural left-footer, he is strong overhead and has impressive endurance.

After earning a promotion from the Under 19s after just one match, Ryan played 12 matches with Norwood reserves in the SANFL in 2008 kicking 20 goals, including a bag of four in the Redlegs round 13 victory over West Adelaide.

He represented South Australia at the 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, leading the carnival in score assists and ranking in the top 10 for inside 50s. He was one of the shining lights for South Australia in their loss to Western Australia at AAMI Stadium, impressing with his rebound from defensive 50 when moved into the backline.

Displaying an exceptional mix of speed and endurance at the NAB AFL Draft Camp, Ryan was the top ranked player in the repeat sprint testing and a top six performer in the 20-metre

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...your-club-fared/2008/11/30/1227491911602.html

The 2008 AFL Draft: How your club fared

Emma Quayle | November 30, 2008

HAWTHORN

No. 16 RYAN SCHOENMAKERS
(Norwood) 18, 193cm, 84kg
South Australian who has played most of his junior football up forward but will be recast by the Hawks as a key defender. Is a good overhead mark and penetrating kick off either foot. Represented SA in U18 this year. “He could play senior footy next year — he has played reserves for Norwood. We’ll have to wait and see. He’s played mostly as a forward but we think we can mould him into being a defender.” Chris Pelchen,recruiting manager.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/News/Bl...x?newsId=70763

Hawks travel all over the countryside

Evans said the club’s five new draftees Ryan Shoenmakers, Luke Lowden, Jordan Lisle, Liam Shiels and Shane Savagehad adjusted well since arriving last week.

“They’ve all settled in well. They’ve already developed some pretty close relationships with each other which is common when you get a group of kids come through at the same time. A couple of them are only 17 and still need to complete their VCE studies next year,” he said.

Just wondering how he is going at Pre-Season guys?

Ryan looks good the few times I've seen him at training. Does anybody know how Savage shoulder doing?.

Draftee moves back to take a step forward

081201_draftee3_246b.jpg
Ryan Schoenmakers is looking to play in defence in 2009

RYAN Schoenmakers made his name as a forward in his junior days but looks likely to forge his career at Hawthorn at the other end of the ground.

"They said that I showed some defensive qualities and that's where they eventually saw me fitting into the side," Schoenmakers says of his initial chats with Hawthorn recruiters after being taken 16th overall in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

"I don't know whether that will happen, but I'm definitely going to aim for that."

Draftee moves back to take a step forward

By Jason Phelan 12:56 PM Mon 16 February, 2009
081201_draftee3_246b.jpg
Ryan Schoenmakers is looking to play in defence in 2009

RYAN Schoenmakers made his name as a forward in his junior days but looks likely to forge his career at Hawthorn at the other end of the ground.

"They said that I showed some defensive qualities and that's where they eventually saw me fitting into the side," Schoenmakers says of his initial chats with Hawthorn recruiters after being taken 16th overall in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

"I haven't played much in defence during my junior career, but I played one game at centre half-back during the under 18 championships.

"It will require a bit of a change of mindset having played up forward most of my life. It will be hard at first, but I love a challenge."

The young South Australian is noted for his endurance.

"
193 and growing:) sounds good

Rookie Hawks rewarded for pre-season

By Luke Holmesby 3:17 PM Fri 20 February, 2009
Clarkson_sorry_a.jpg
Hawk coach Alastair Clarkson will give young players every chance in the NAB Cup

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson says rookies Ryan Schoenmakers and Luke Shiels will have a chance to hold down a spot in the senior team after being selected for the side’s NAB Cup opener against Melbourne on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Met his Nana in the lift on the weekend. Lovely lady.

Says Ryan's a great kid and that his head is screwed on the right way. Has grown very quickly over the last 6 months.

I liked his game on the weekend, got setup by Roughy with that handball though.

Round 1 2009 vs Geelong.

Ryan makes his debut for Hawthorn :thumbsu:

One of three first gamers to play this game for the Hawks. The others are Whitecross and Suckling. With The Shoe they are all interstaters! (SA, Qld, NSW)

To debut infront of nearly 70,000 fans at the M.C.G. on a Friday night with the Hawks unveiling their 2008 flag. Some kids do have their dreams come true.

It is fair to say Ryan will get a lot out of this game.

His stats are modest. 1 kick, 4 handballs, 1 mark, 1 hit out, 1 free for, 2 against and 1 tackle.

As a learning experience this is invaluable.

Boots had a much better game against Sydney. Was playing most of the night out on the wing, looks very comfortable out there. Competed hard all game, made some nice spoils too.

Im excited about this kid, I think he is going to be something special. He has a certain poise about him you rarely see in a fresh draftee.

Tackled hard & attacked the ball getting better with every game!
2009 Round 2 vs Sydney

Kicks 7
Handballs 3
Disposals 10
Marks 2
Tackles 5
Goals 0
Behinds

SYDNEY SWANS 3.4 8.7 16.9 22.11 (143)
HAWTHORN 5.4 8.9 12.12 15.15 (105)

Goals
Sydney Swans:
Barry Hall 4, Adam Goodes 4, Darren Jolly 3, Nick Malceski 3, Ryan O’Keefe 2, Jarrad McVeigh, Jesse White, Craig Bird, Jarred Moore, Marty Mattner, Brett Kirk
Hawthorn: Mark Williams 3, Jarryd Roughead 3, Lance Franklin 2, Jarryd Morton 2, Cameron Stokes, Campbell Brown, Cyril Rioli, Garry Moss, Stuart Dew
Best
Sydney Swans:
Jarrad McVeigh, Craig Bolton, Nick Malceski, Adam Goodes, Jesse White, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Darren Jolly
Hawthorn: Xavier Ellis, Jarryd Roughead, Mark Williams, Cameron Stokes, Cyril Rioli

The SHOE Stopper

Has had a solid start to career and has clearly shown the coaches something and has been picked for every game this year.

The most impressive traits shoey has shown thus far IMO has been his tackling, averages almost 5 a game and his kicking, the kid can kick a footy and has beautiful kicking action that hits targets more often than not.

I feel shoey is yet to adjust to the pace of the game and has looked slow with decisions and delivery, but that it is to be expected the change in intensity of the game from school boy to AFL is huge, and is a result of the AFL not having a professional junior league, which would have the players training every day from age 15-16.

As shoey adjusts to the pace of the game and makes his decisions more quickly we will have a freak show defender, or another quality tall forward thou its obvious we need him as a defender.

Shoey's Stats Averages To Date

Games = 3
Disposals = 9
Kick = 3.7
Kicklg = 1.7
Mark = 2
Cmk = *
Hbl = 5.3
Tkl = 4.7
Gls = 0
Bhd = 0
F/F = 1
F/A = 2
H/O = 0.7
1st = 1.7
Cle = 1.3
In50 = 1.3
Rb50 = 1.7
CP’s = 1
UCP’s = 8.7
1% = 3
Err = 4.3
Bnc = 0

I think that with Birch out of the side for a month, Shoey might be given more of a creative role of the HBF. He has the size/skills for it, he already reminds me a lot of Birchall (in the way he moves), but he looks a great tackler and knows when to spoil.

Hope he carves this week.

Round 4 AFL season 2009 note:

Schoenmakers was named as one of three emergencies for the Hawthorn Port Adelaide clash at the M.C.G. on Saturday 18th April but was not required.

Played his first senior game for Box Hill in their Round 2 (round 1 was a bye) clash at City Oval against the Northern Bullants on Sunday 19th April.

Was unable to watch the Shoe's box hill game but from the reports on the box hill forum he started the match well and faded out towards the end of the game. The general consensus from those who watched the game was he should be looked at for senior selection again this week.

"Ryan Schoenmakers did some good work and showed he has plenty of class. He took one very good mark and kicked a great 55 metre goal from a set shot. He is still picking up the pace of the game and learning how to pace himself". Hudinihuddo

Round 16 - Saturday 18 July 2009 v Collingwood.

Ryan Schoenmakers given the big job of minding Collingwood tall Travis Cloke and did it well in the Hawks 45 point win.

This quote from the HFC website from senior coach Alistair Clarkson about Schoenmakers performance.

"The Hawthorn coach was also impressed by the performance of young Hawk Ryan Schoenmakers, who kept key Collingwood forward Travis Cloke goalless for the match.

It was a little bit of a punt playing such a young fella on Travis Cloke,” he said.

“We threw caution to the wind and backed the lad in and he did a super job on Travis - his effort tonight was first class.”

Stats for this game

10 Kicks

7 Handballs

5 Marks!

2 Tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back