Details
Number
Height 186cm
Weight 96Kg
DOB 04-09-1987
Debut 2006 Round 5 Vs Brisbane
Height 333
Weight 50

Player Honours: AFL Rising Star nominee 2007; All-Australian 2018, 2019 (Vice-captain); AFL Premiership Captain 2018; West Coast Eagles Captain 2015-
Draft history: 2005 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (West Coast) No. 13 overall.

Last edited:

949833-d653c658-7511-11e3-b21a-c1acf4d34253.jpg

Shannon Hurn could be part of a bigger midfield rotation at West Coast in 2014

Hurn pre-season update:
After losing most of 2013 to a serious ankle injury, it has been a real treat to see Hurn back on the training track fit and firing. He has been training in the main group for the vast majority of the pre-season, is looking fit, training the house down, with his kicking obviously a feature.

With arguably one of the best kicks in the league, Hurn is one of the Eagles' most important link-up players coming out of defence and is crucial to West Coast kick-in strategies. Hurn's absence was a major loss to WC for most of 2013.

With a new senior coach and a new game plan, Hurn's usual rebounding role from half back may change somewhat under Simpson with a chance he and fellow defender Will Schofield may rotate into the midfield. I know some here on BF have been calling for this for some time, and personally I think Hurn's kicking could be a real asset to West Coast's midfield which was really caught lacking throughout 2013.

A fully fit Shannon Hurn will no doubt slot straight into the best 22 in 2014. If Hurn can learn to fully break oppositions offensive tags in 2014, there is no doubt in my mind Hurn could reach his peak in 2014. At 26, I feel he has been a real asset to the WC in his 8 seasons, however, I believe that he is yet to completely fulfil his potential. With a big 2014, there is no reason he couldn't go on to make the AA team and really help push the eagles to a finals berth in September. All the best to you Shannon and the Eagles this year, I'm looking forward to seeing a fit and fresh Eagles team in the season ahead.

Yesterday's pre-season match against Freo gave us a little reminder of what a significant difference Hurn makes to our backline and to our team overall. Kicking was obviously a feature, and his rebound off half-back was invaluable to the result. Re-sign him up right away!

NAB cup round 1 stats: 14K, 1H, 8M, 1SG.

Personal highlight was a 70/75m monster super-goal early in the first term:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-02-18/hurn-launches-monster-goal

Obviously it's just a pre-season match, but I'm very excited to see what Hurn and the team has in store for the season-proper. Well done first up Bunga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was great to see Hurn return to the eagles line-up on Sunday against the Dogs, and he didn't disappoint. Hurn was one of the more influential players for mine, that extends beyond his mere 20 disposals count (winning 14 kicks, 6 handballs, and taking three mark). His ability to rebound from the half-back line using in laser-beam like kicks was sorely missed last year, and it just shown through in round 1 just how much he adds to the line-up.

A good start to the year for both Shannon, and for the eagles. I know it was only the Bullies, but a win is a positive none-the-less. Well done boys :thumbsu:

Despite a solid win against the Dees on the weekend in round 2, it wasn't a good outing for Shannon Hurn. After looking in fine touch last weekend, Hurn succumbed to a knee injury in the early stages of the first quarter. It looked positive when Hurn came back onto the field after the initial injury, however, he was not able to continue from then on-wards and was subbed out of the match for Brad Sheppard. The injury is deemed to be a minor medial ligament strain, and is predicted to miss two to three weeks. Certainly not an ideal scenario, but the injury could have easily been much worse.

Here's what the AFL website has to say about the injury:

WEST COAST'S Shannon Hurn will be sidelined for at least a fortnight after suffering a knee injury in the Eagles' big win over Melbourne on Sunday.

The powerful defender copped a knock to the knee during the opening minutes of the match.

He had his leg strapped up and briefly returned to the field, but was subbed out during the second quarter.

Hurn was later diagnosed as having a minor medial ligament strain.

"He might be two to three weeks," West Coast coach Adam Simpson said after the game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-30/simpson-postmatch

Round 7 vs Fremantle:

Player stats: 21 disposals (16 kicks and 5 handballs), 7 marks and 4 tackles (http://www.afl.com.au/stats)

It was great to have Shannon back into the WC line-up on Sunday, and while he picked up reasonable numbers stat-wise (21 disposals and 7 marks), he certainly looked 'proppy' on that knee of his, and looked rather rusty which resulted in a number of clangers (resulted in a few kicks being smothered off the mark for example). But, being his first match back for a number of weeks, we certainly can forgive him for being a little rusty. He will no doubt improve with further game-time in the coming weeks.

Something of note, was that Shannon who would normally take 90-95% of the kick-ins, was actually taking a lot fewer.. with players like Yeo, Bennell and even Rosa talking a number of kick-ins. I don't know whether this was to protect Shannon from re-injury in his first game back, or a strategy implemented by Simmo to perhaps release Hurn up the ground a bit more? In any case, it was a mere interesting observation of mine.

Looking forward to seeing plenty more of Hurn in the coming weeks. He is such a crucial player for us, and needs to stay fit and firing if we want to be challenging for September action.

Round 8 vs GWS:

Player stats: Player stats: 27 disposals (20 kicks and 7 handballs), 12 marks and 3 tackles (http://www.afl.com.au/stats)

After an atypical rusty performance against Freo last week, Shannon Hurn was back to his best over the weekend in the Eagles huge win against the Giants. While the Eagles defense was not really tested, Hurn was still able to perform his customary rebounding role with aplomb. His kicking was excellent, and was also able to take an equal (with Adam Kennedy) game-high 12 marks highlighting his intercepting ability. He was voted in the top 5 players by both the coaches and by general consensus in the BF voting.

With both Ellis and Hurn back in recent times, it allowed Simmo to release Elliot Yeo into the midfield against the Giants, which has been a universally popular idea on the BF board for some time. Yeo performed admirably, and will hopefully be afforded regular stints in the middle from now on. With the Eagles defense being a strong suit for some time now, hopefully moves like the Yeo one can help our sometimes struggling midfield.

The bye has probably come at an inopportune time for Bunga as he is trying to find fitness for the big games ahead after a sizable injury layoff. That being said, a weeks rest may be just what the doctor ordered to minimize the chance of an injury re-occurrence.

Good effort Bunga :thumbsu:

Round 10 vs Collingwood

Player stats: 18 disposals (16 kicks, 2 handballs), 4 marks, 1 tackle, 2 goals (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/10/coll-v-wce)

Coming off the bye week in round 9, Hurn was able to carry over some good form from his last outing against the Giants into the round 10 fixture against the Pies. While not amassing the same volume of possessions as he did against the Giants, the quality of possession was still there for Hurn. The most notable aspect of Hurn's game was definitely his ability to find himself forward of center, and this was highlighted by kicking two very important goals, including an absolute gem from beyond 50 in the dying stages of the game.

While it was an unfortunate result for the Eagles in the end against the Pies, there were a number of positives to come from it, including a good performance for Hurn :thumbsu:

Round 11 vs Norf

Player stats: 23 disposals (17 kicks, 6 handballs), 12 marks (equal game-high), 2 tackles (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/11/wce-v-nmfc)

After all of the build-up and fanfare associated with Brad Scott week, my personal favorite week of the year on the BF board, the Eagles ultimately went down in a disappointing display to lol-Norf. Perhaps the most disappointing aspect from the game from an Eagles point of view, was just the shear volume of errors, general clangers and horrid kicking efficiency. However, in trying to find positives from the game, there were a few players that stood up and could hold there heads high including E.Mac, LeCras and Hurn. The last few games has seen Hurn spend time in the middle, which has been a positive move from Simmo and has worked out for the most part. A big-bodied mid is something we on BF have been crying out for, for some time now, and while I like the Hurn to the middle move, I personally would like to see the move used sparingly, given that he is clearly our best kick and rebounding defender from the back half. With Hurn in the D50, we as a team look infinitely better.

It certainly has been a big first half of the season for Hurn, despite the injury set-back, and I'd love to see Hurn continue this rich vein of form from here-on-out. I'd put him in my top 5 WC players thus far in the season, and should his form continue, may see him potentially sneak into the AA extended squad :thumbsu:

Round 12 vs Hawthorn

Player stats: 18 disposals (13 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal)

After a poor stretch of results for the Eagles leading into the difficult Hawks assignment, it was always going to be an uphill battle in Tazzie against the reigning premiers. Despite putting up a reasonable fight both early and late-on in the game, it was ultimately a losing cause, with the Eagles going down by 44 points. Hurn, while not one of his team's best, was a more than solid contributor primarily playing his usual half-back role. What I have been pleased to see this year, more so than previous years, is Hurn's ability (or perhaps licence under Simmo) to move further up the field in stints, which has resulted in a number of crucial goals for his team this season.

As Champs said above, gee we'd look a whole lot better with a couple more Hurn's running around in our side :rolleyes: Get that man in a tent ASAP, we need some F/S selections :D

Round 13 vs Gold Coast

Player stats: 26 disposals (19 kicks, 7 handballs, 12 marks, 1 tackle).

It was another inconsistent team performance for the Eagles, this time against the Suns, however there were a number of players that were able to help lift the Eags to a narrow win. As has been his way this season, Hurn was there amongst the best for the Eagles that saw him collect an impressive 26 disposals and a 12 marks. His vision and intercepting ability was a highlight of this game for me, and something that has stood out for mine this season.

Another game, another impressive performance from Hurn :thumbsu:

PS, would anyone be able to cover me this coming weekend (round 14) and post a short summary of Hurn's game? I'm just at the airport now heading to Vancouver for a conference and won't be able to watch the game. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back