Opinion 25 Since 95

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Duffield's in the west is pretty spot on to be fair.

Yep. More goals per game than just about anyone. Only Modra and Chris Groom had a better goals per game average. Groom only played 7 games. Kingsley played 40+ and kicked more than 2 goals per game.

Also, he was interesting to watch...

B: Roger Hayden, Shane Parker, Michael Johnson
HB: Antoni Grover, Luke McPharlin, Paul Duffield
C: Stephen Hill, David Mundy, Brad Hill
HF: Paul Hasleby, Matthew Pavlich (C), Jeff Farmer
F: Michael Walters, Clive Waterhouse, Tony Modra
R: Aaron Sandilands, Lachie Neale, Nat Fyfe

Interchange: Hayden Ballantyne, Ben Allan, Peter Bell, Adrian Fletcher, Ryan Crowley, Heath Black, Justin Longmuir.

McManus isn’t the ‘best’ per se. He was courageous, solid player. But just too many classy, consistent midfielders ahead of him.
Mayne stiff to miss out. Headland, Kickett, Barlow, Ibbotson have a chance too.

For those wondering:

Mark Duffield’s Team

FB: Grover, Parker, Hayden
HB: Johnson, McPharlin, Kickett
C: McManus, Mundy, S Hill
HF: Hasleby, Pavlich, Mayne
FF: Farmer, Longmuir, Walters

R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Bell

Int: Ballantyne, M. Carr, Neale, Duffield, Ibbotson, Crowley, Barlow

McManus isn’t the ‘best’ per se. He was courageous, solid player. But just too many classy, consistent midfielders ahead of him.
Mayne stiff to miss out. Headland, Kickett, Barlow, Ibbotson have a chance too.

Agreed on McManus - if you are thinking of going him in your side you might as well be equally considering Troy Cook; both bled purple out on the field but skills-wise are well behind others. Barlow in his prime was a more accurate and dangerous kick, but worked as hard as both, and then there was Adrian Fletcher as well. If we are talking Freo here you have to go the guy who both works hard and can kick over the guy that works hard but can't surely?

Headland was underrated in my opinion, got criticised for being a downhill skier but stick him into a team of players who are going to do the heavy lifting in the midfield and he is absolutely the sort of player you want on the HFF; he had days where he was insanely good; a better player overall than Chris Mayne.

People also seem to forget the influence that Paul Medhurst had on the Freo team in his hay day - just because he got sent to Collingwood doesn't mean he wasn't a top player for us and he started off with insane levels of accuracy by foot - I would take Farmer and Medhurst over Ballantyne and Walters most days of the week (the difference being that the latter pair made a grand final).

Whilst I think Duffield's team has too many grunts and not enough flair, Fair play: Matthew Carr was an underrated player and someone I would probably want in my team.

Agreed on McManus - if you are thinking of going him in your side you might as well be equally considering Troy Cook; both bled purple out on the field but skills-wise are well behind others. Barlow in his prime was a more accurate and dangerous kick, but worked as hard as both, and then there was Adrian Fletcher as well. If we are talking Freo here you have to go the guy who both works hard and can kick over the guy that works hard but can't surely?

Headland was underrated in my opinion, got criticised for being a downhill skier but stick him into a team of players who are going to do the heavy lifting in the midfield and he is absolutely the sort of player you want on the HFF; he had days where he was insanely good; a better player overall than Chris Mayne.

People also seem to forget the influence that Paul Medhurst had on the Freo team in his hay day - just because he got sent to Collingwood doesn't mean he wasn't a top player for us and he started off with insane levels of accuracy by foot - I would take Farmer and Medhurst over Ballantyne and Walters most days of the week (the difference being that the latter pair made a grand final).

Whilst I think Duffield's team has too many grunts and not enough flair, Fair play: Matthew Carr was an underrated player and someone I would probably want in my team.
Walters has to be in. Classy and capable of kicking 3 + whilst getting 20 touches. I agree on Medhurst. Forgot how great he was on his day. Was a travesty how we treated him 2-3 years prior to him leaving. Got him to bulk up too much to play midfield. Never turned out properly. Should’ve been a 150+ gamer. Collingwood used him properly.

Headland was a beast for Brisbane was useless for us, how Neale or Barlow are not straight starters is interesting, most of our players like Toia, callaghan, Cook, McManus, Waterhouse, we’re warriors with no skills and wouldn’t rank in any decent team outside Freo, Hayden and McPharlain would be top fifty defenders in any team in the last ten years, Grover was a machine too, loved his duels with Fev, remember that game he got so angry at him he pulled his hair 😂, inside our 50 sadly has always been poor, Jlo was ok at best, Pav easy a top 50 player in any team in the last ten years, Farmer and Modra were ok but past their prime when they arrived, albeit still love his mark vs Geelong, Midfield we always had some half decent players, so much better over last 8 years, Crowley will always be our best lock down man, ever

McManus undoubtedly was a warrior and to an extent he deserves a spot in the team. However, I think there are so many players who came afterwards who warrant a position more. Maybe they didn't bleed purple to the same extent that Macca and Cookie did but then you have to consider that those two champs benefited from some poor drafting, poor trading and poor coaching as it is unlikely they would have made many other teams. If it was a toss up between McManus and Barlow, I've got to take Barlow every time (still filthy Ross moved him on).

Although...guys like Gale, Harding, Carroll, Mitchell and Krummel did end up playing elsewhere so I could be wrong.

Can also see the argument for having Hunter up forwards instead of Modra or Longmuir. He was fairly decent between 96 and 98. Probably a player who could have benefited from better forward entry and to be fair to him, the midfield around the time was Wills, Callaghan, Mitchell, Leach and Toia as Watters, Allan, Macca, and Norrish spent good amount of time injured.

Yep. More goals per game than just about anyone. Only Modra and Chris Groom had a better goals per game average. Groom only played 7 games. Kingsley played 40+ and kicked more than 2 goals per game.

Also, he was interesting to watch...

86 goals in 41 games is a good return for a young player. 41 games in four seasons not so much. Its an honorable mention for me, no way he's top couple as a key forward even at Freo.

I was trying to remember how did the trade to the Dogs happen? Did Kingsley want out or was it Freo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Wira wanted to come home and Hunter had a poor 98 so it was Freo I believe.

Last edited:
Shane Parker Stephen O'Reilly Roger Hayden
Adam McPhee Luke McPharlin Michael Johnson
Brad Hill Nat Fyfe Stephen Hill
Michael Walters Matthew Pavlich Paul Hasleby
Jeff Farmer Tony Modra Justin Longmuir

Aaron Sandilands David Mundy Peter Bell

Paul Medhurst, Dale Kickett, Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Antoni Grover, Clive Waterhouse, Hayden Ballantyne

Official team from the Fremantle 25 year Gala:

Backs: Roger Hayden, Shane Parker, Antoni Grover

Half-backs: Michael Johnson, Luke McPharlin, Dale Kickett

Centre: Stephen Hill, David Mundy, Shaun McManus

Half-Forwards: Michael Walters, Matthew Pavlich (Captain), Clive Waterhouse

Forwards: Jeff Farmer, Tony Modra, Hayden Ballantyne

Ruck/followers: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Peter Bell

Interchange: Paul Hasleby, Lachie Neale, Troy Cook, Michael Barlow, Ryan Crowley, Justin Longmuir, Ben Allan

Very decent team.

Surprised Walters made it. Brad Hill should’ve made it, but not even games?

Why are you surprised Walters made it? He's easily in the team, absolute elite talent who never until 4 weeks ago got the recognition he deserves.
Official team from the Fremantle 25 year Gala:

Backs: Roger Hayden, Shane Parker, Antoni Grover

Half-backs: Michael Johnson, Luke McPharlin, Dale Kickett

Centre: Stephen Hill, David Mundy, Shaun McManus

Half-Forwards: Michael Walters, Matthew Pavlich (Captain), Clive Waterhouse

Forwards: Jeff Farmer, Tony Modra, Hayden Ballantyne

Ruck/followers: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Peter Bell

Interchange: Paul Hasleby, Lachie Neale, Troy Cook, Michael Barlow, Ryan Crowley, Justin Longmuir, Ben Allan

Very decent team.

Surprised Walters made it. Brad Hill should’ve made it, but not even games?

Why are you surprised Walters made it? He's easily in the team, absolute elite talent who never until 4 weeks ago got the recognition he deserves.
Purely because he hasn’t played enough games for mine. BUT Modra only played 47 games for us and made it. So yep, now I’m not surprised.
That forward line is delicious. Farmer and Balllas together would’ve been a treat

Not too much to argue with in this side but:

Out: Allen (he was cooked for us) Barlow (too many midfielders)
In: Fletcher, Duffield.

Also it pains me a little that Shauny Mac makes the side. I mean he has to as a former captain and 230 games and no absolute standouts to take the spot (pick the side in two years and it would be Brad). He should have been delisted a good 60 games before he retired. It's an indelible reminder of how poor we were.
In an alternate universe where we didn't trade him out then back in its Out: McManus In: Black.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back