Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

Remove this Banner Ad

CCJ will be getting impatient and will be better than both in the long run. Interesting dilemma, either Nank or Soldo will have to be pushed out.

I'm sad. but I agree. Reckon it'll be Nank :cryingcat:.

If we do trade Nank we will get a damn good pick for him. I reckon, if CCJ is as good as people say, we're on for a decade of ruck dominance.

If CJ is not happy with the no. of games he gets in 2020 he will be an attractive prospect to oppo clubs. Dittto every depth player on our list. I reckon there will be an exodus of good depth players at the end of next season.
That may be so, but CCJ has a fair amount of potential and could be a far better ruck/forward than the other two. Can't afford to give these types away. 2020 will sort it all out one way or the other.

Big boys take time. No rush with CCJ. Let's wait till he's 24 and then we'll see where he is.
The talls may not hit their peak till 24, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't start developing in the seniors at 21-22. He should be given senior games if he shows he has gone up another level next season early in the VFL games. He was impacting games well last season, another preseason, he'll be a unit by mid next year.

It'll be interesting to see how Nank takes on a new role as 2nd ruck, and mobile wrecking crew. Soldo is obviously the better tap ruck, and is maturing very nicely around the ground. But Nank is definitely one the best rucks (bar taps). Reckon our game plan might change slightly to take advantage of Nank vs 2nd rucks. If we get it to work he could become a monster.

It'll be interesting to see how Nank takes on a new role as 2nd ruck, and mobile wrecking crew. Soldo is obviously the better tap ruck, and is maturing very nicely around the ground. But Nank is definitely one the best rucks (bar taps). Reckon our game plan might change slightly to take advantage of Nank vs 2nd rucks. If we get it to work he could become a monster.
A fresh Nank can be dangerous.

i completly love toby. never thought id see a two time richmond premiership ruckman - with a heart like pharlap to boot

buut the size of soldo and ccj, the potential, ruck work etc. etc. is very interesting; i wonder what hardwick and co. are thinking about the ruck stocks currently

surely at least some form of rotation policy will be implemented soccer/nba style?

outside of ccj they dont rest forward well and there is already lynch / jack taking up space so cant really play the 3

then there is balta

i completly love toby. never thought id see a two time richmond premiership ruckman - with a heart like pharlap to boot

buut the size of soldo and ccj, the potential, ruck work etc. etc. is very interesting; i wonder what hardwick and co. are thinking about the ruck stocks currently

surely at least some form of rotation policy will be implemented soccer/nba style?

outside of ccj they dont rest forward well and there is already lynch / jack taking up space so cant really play the 3

then there is balta
and mabior.

then there is balta
Balta? Lol

then there is balta
we need to trade a player, for future credit(s), need to realise/liquidate dormant assets on the list, cos only 22 can line up on Saturday. Cos assets have a value, realise this trade value, and secure future talent when the list is one man down in particulat positions. It is no good having 22 players the equivalent of Brody or Gawn on a list, cos only one ruck can line up for the bounce and around the ground. You cant line up with 18 Body(s) in jerseys come the first bounce. Brody is a ruck, albeit a very good ruck, you will lose. Apart from the fact his asking salary is around 1.5mill p.a.

Which is why I think the best move Collingwood made was letting Leon Davis go the year of his All Australian. Not cos he wast $h!te when the smack goes down on granny day, but to not be able to do the deal with WC nor Freo means they needed to re-up LD on 550kpa.

Get Clarke back from Ireland at 200k pa, that is 350k gap that they need to pay Swan and Pendles who WIN games for them.

Maric was great for us, so is Nank, the ruckrover enforcer /catterpillar/bulldozer creating a room for Cotch and Dusty to go to work.

See: Aron Baynes at Phoenix.

#MichaelLewis
#moneyball
#AronBaynes
#PhoenixSuns

like Davis leaving in an AA year, I reckon Grimes and Rance play the same game, and significant decling marginal gains having both line up in the intercept CHB position. You dont need two of them at 700k/800k.

Have one at 750k, trade Rance to his preferred destination in Perth for a first and second round pick in 2025.

Then we can use the money elsewhere. Like allowing Brando to go to GC, we did not need him on a back flank or wing or in Last Tango in Paris, he was surplus to needs.

RussellEbertHandball

But Hardwick's troupe construction aint an exact science,one must allow a risk qua risk bubble, and allow for "a", depth, whilst not allowing too much depth which will constrain development and opportunity.

Too much talent paradoxically AINT an axiomatic positive, it can work against you.

Iamanoriginalthinkeriaintrippingoffmoneyballandlewisiammerelyusinghisworktoexplicatemythoughtsinceihaventreadproustinoriginalfrenchavechisflourishotherfolksareplagiarisersnotmemuchlikesmokinjoebiden

however i do solipsism with the best of them

but you wont get originality from boston consulting boffins at affal house[sic]

Zgope1
skilts

Our ruck depth could be played as KPD. Based on one practice match, It's looking like Garth is Grimes back up, Balta Astbury back up. Nank has always been a good intercept mark I wonder if we could turn him into a KPD. Mabior I thought marked well last week, albeit as KPF.
I think Harris Andrew is taller than all of them. I will also be keen to see how McEvoy goes as a KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Nank played a full game in the reserves on the weekend, and was named as an emergency for the seniors.

Does this mean CCJ has already overtaken him, or they were just being cautious?
CJ needs some senior games. I haven't watched the game but he hits the scoreboard, is mobile and looked comfortable enough to hold his spot . Nank had a very good GFinal. 3 AFL standard young rucks, is an excess. Going to be innaresting list wise this year.

Could easily see Nank traded at the end of the season. Out of contract at the end of the year, so could be offered up. This is from the HUN

TIGERS FLAG RUCKMAN MAY BE ON WAY OUT
Nathan Broad was close to signing a new multi-year contract at Richmond before the coronavirus pause, but has pledged his future to the Tigers.

He is one of the few uncontracted premiership players at Punt Rd, with the biggest watch on Toby Nankervis who might struggle for regular game time given most clubs will only play one ruckman this season.

Ruck/forward Callum Coleman-Jones is the youngster on the rise and is signed up despite GWS having a crack at him last trade period.

So despite two premierships in four years at the Tigers, Nankervis’s contract has plenty to play out.

He might have to find a first-ruck spot at a rival club.

Brave man to write the old warrior off, but it’s a good thing for the club if CJ can leapfrog him in the pecking order.

Personally I’d love to see CJ and Balta in our starting 22 in the next 12-18 months. If this happens then the writing might be on the wall for Nank. But until/If that happens he’s still got a valuable role to play this year

CJ needs some senior games. I haven't watched the game but he hits the scoreboard, is mobile and looked comfortable enough to hold his spot . Nank had a very good GFinal. 3 AFL standard young rucks, is an excess. Going to be innaresting list wise this year.
Hope the club extends CJ beyond 2021 this year. Opposition clubs will be into him big time particularly if he’s not getting opportunities

If we are playing a solo ruck this year it means we have an opportunity to rotate all of our rucks through during the season Keeping them fresh and preventing any one being worn out

Have all 3 play 7ish games or have Soldo and Nank take the lions share and give CCJ a few runs

Love Nank as much as anyone but if GWS came after Coleman-Jones last year I’d happily trade one of him or Nank (probably Nank) for some of their young midfield talent. No point having 3 AFL quality rucks on your list plus we have Chol and Balta that can play ruck.
GWS would be the ideal club to trade with as they need a ruck so will pay a fair price and also have an abundance of young talent and are unable to keep them all, especially if the salary cap is reduced.

If we are playing a solo ruck this year it means we have an opportunity to rotate all of our rucks through during the season Keeping them fresh and preventing any one being worn out

Have all 3 play 7ish games or have Soldo and Nank take the lions share and give CCJ a few runs
Yep or if JR or Lynch are injured/ rested play him as a kpf 2nd ruck

Love Nank as much as anyone but if GWS came after Coleman-Jones last year I’d happily trade one of him or Nank (probably Nank) for some of their young midfield talent. No point having 3 AFL quality rucks on your list plus we have Chol and Balta that can play ruck.
GWS would be the ideal club to trade with as they need a ruck so will pay a fair price and also have an abundance of young talent and are unable to keep them all, especially if the salary cap is reduced.
Definitely an interesting idea
If I had to choose between the two I would trade Nank just given he isn’t as versatile and has already had a few injury concerns

Plus I genuinely think CCJ has the potential to be one of the top rucks in the comp

Brave man to write the old warrior off, but it’s a good thing for the club if CJ can leapfrog him in the pecking order.

Bit harsh to call him old - he's only 25. That's just reaching peak for a big man.
The problem with Nank (at hitouts) is that he has short arms for a ruck. He's only 9cms shorter than Gawn, but Gawn can reach much higher. Grundy, Stanley, even Soldo, are built with a longer body and arms. Nank's a tank, and very good at the bullocking, around the ground, contesting - being a big body. But we don't win a lot of hitouts or centre clearances with Nank. Now, I'm not convinced that hitouts or clearances are that particularly valuable in today's game, and we've certainly worked out a way to manage the fact that we don't get hurt much - but that may change.

What I would love is if Soldo could take the ruck contests and then magically morph into Nank around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back