Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a ******* terrible kick. The difference between him and other ruckmen is they know they can't kick so they give the first option handball to players who can kick and from there hit a target. Nank does it himself and turn the ball over nearly half the time (57% KE).
KE is not turning it over. You would classify a turnover as a clanger, and he goes at 4 per match, about the same as Dusty. Nank is a high possession ruckman so will have a higher KE than Soldo for example, who just taps the ball to the nearest player or bangs it long. Nank has a good boot that can hit targets. He pretty much evened the contest with Gawn last night, what more do you want.

Last edited:
KE is not turning it over. You would classify a turnover as a clanger, and he goes at 4 per match, about the same as Dusty. Nank is a high possession ruckman so will have a higher KE than Soldo for example, who just taps the ball to the nearest player or bangs it long. Nank has a good boot that can hit targets. He pretty much evened the contest with Gawn last night, what more do you want.

What? Kicking efficiency measures how accurate of a kick you are, generally speaking the lower the %, the higher the number of turnovers but not always as you can still produce a terrible kick that doesn't result in the opposition having the ball in their hands which is what a turnover is. Just like with a handball you can hand pass it to the knees of your team mate or one meter behind them but they're still good enough to gather it, it will still go down as an effective disposal. Nank by the way is the king of handballing behind team mates and to their knees. He is a seriously unskillful ruckman.

I want him to stop coughing up the ball in dangerous positions, I want to stop giving away stupid free kicks, I want to actually hit a team mate with a tap rather than picking out the opposition, I want him to actually play physical and stop being a cheap prick and taking out opponents with no idea that he is there when the ball is well gone and in doing so not give a free kick away.

Ideally I want our number ruckman to play in the form of Soldo and stop wasting our time on Nank who isn't the one to take us forward. In the same way Jacob Townsend wasn't good enough post 2017 and we needed a genuine KPF in the form of Lynch, we have Soldo who is a genuine ruckman who has a far greater ceiling that will enable us to stop battling in the ruck and actually make the opposition come up with a strategy to stop us.

He is a ******* terrible kick. The difference between him and other ruckmen is they know they can't kick so they give the first option handball to players who can kick and from there hit a target. Nank does it himself and turn the ball over nearly half the time (57% KE).

What a load of s**t

A very debatable choice as captain as he is not even a clear choice as our no 1 ruckman.

We should have went with vlastuin as the other co captain. We made some bemusing decisions in the off season.

A very debatable choice as captain as he is not even a clear choice as our no 1 ruckman.

We should have went with vlastuin as the other co captain. We made some bemusing decisions in the off season.
He has been fantastic this year so far. And has been a great leader.

You’re grasping for a problem here pal.

Easy to say as an outsider but it was the players and football department that voted
A lot more to footy than the couple of hours on match day

Toby Nankervis in the 2020 AFL Grand Final - left hanging while trying to shake hands - very funny.

Nank sorting Kane Cornes out
slap.jpg

Last edited:
3rd highest rated ruck in the comp behind Witts and Darcy.

And to think some posters were saying he wasn't even our number 1 ruck before the season :drunk:
Gonna pump my own tyres here but I was almost alone in 2020 saying we badly needed to keep Nank, when he was unsigned and was being dropped for Soldo. I hate to say it but the only reason he got put in ahead of Soldo again was because of the ACL, and that was a massive, massive blessing in disguise, because we may well have lost Nank otherwise.

Very happy we signed him as a result and he fairly quickly has proven he's easily, easily our number 1 ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna pump my own tyres here but I was almost alone in 2020 saying we badly needed to keep Nank, when he was unsigned and was being dropped for Soldo. I hate to say it but the only reason he got put in ahead of Soldo again was because of the ACL, and that was a massive, massive blessing in disguise, because we may well have lost Nank otherwise.

Very happy we signed him as a result and he fairly quickly has proven he's easily, easily our number 1 ruckman.

Doubt that ... most of us knew he was streets ahead of Soldo - even on his worst day.

an important player 2 us. not sure about the captaincy tho.
More to the captaincy than on field, in fact you could argue that it’s what they do off field and we will never see that is more important
Without knowing that side it’s impossible to make any judgments

Reckon he’s had a pretty disappointing year and is overall a pretty average ruckman. Looks like a world beater against bottom four ruckmen but then looks VFL standard against the elite big men. I’m with Kane Cornes regarding the captaincy call. Extremely bizarre decision.

The posting in a fair few of these threads lately remind me of the posting in the late 2000's early 2010's when it seemed people were happier when we lost so they had more to complain about. The posts back then as a lot are doing now seem to just bag players, say the club has no idea what they are doing, we should delist half the team. It's as if 2017-2020 didn't and we are still a team mired at the bottem of the ladder. As for the captaincy, Cotchin was constantly called the worst captain in the AFL for several years until suddenly he was a good captain then a great captain. It was always going to tough following Cotchin as captain but why don't we let Nank and Grimes grow into the role before we condemn them.

Reckon he’s had a pretty disappointing year and is overall a pretty average ruckman. Looks like a world beater against bottom four ruckmen but then looks VFL standard against the elite big men. I’m with Kane Cornes regarding the captaincy call. Extremely bizarre decision.

Pretty average ruckman … geez that’s a weird take. Have you been under a rock for 5-years? Who do you think has been leading our ruck division during our dynasty?

Maybe you missed the 2020 final series and PF in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stick with the George insults mate.Least you have some good points there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back