Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

Remove this Banner Ad

2FF962F4-96B7-42C8-B4C0-F18D47B52FF9.png

Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Richmond
I was at the Grand Final behind the goals top level, and from there I could see the amount of impact Nank had all game. There was rarely a kick deep he didn’t affect from a set up, whether it be directly fisting it over the line, or forcing Geelong’s kicks to go wide. Was my second best on after leaving the ground.

Gotta love Tazzy Richmond Rucks. They do great things for the club ;).

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Player's grand final recollections are up on the club website - guess I should be stating which year too - anyway here is three time premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis with his 2020 memories.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Nankervis. Prestia. Graham. Etc were important however.

Handy off season in hindsight
for us , but this does not mean in the '15 discreet off-season the decisions the team management of Sydney made incorrect choice on Nank's future for the Swans , there are myriad of tangibles that needed to be weighed in contracting players for following seasons , not a binary (false-dichotomy)

#JohnNash

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
for us , but this does not mean in the '15 discreet off-season the decisions the team management of Sydney made incorrect choice on Nank's future for the Swans , there are myriad of tangibles that needed to be weighed in contracting players for following seasons , not a binary (false-dichotomy)

#JohnNash

I wanted pick 6 and deledio so I am clearly an idiot.

Ivan matic was a massively asset gone and nank filled the role very nicely and after 3 flags is still sort of a baby for a ruckman.

Huge get for tigerland.

Outside of jack Riewoldt (dusty) maybe had the biggest 2017.

Win a flag with grigg as your wingman takes some doing. * Maric

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
I wanted pick 6 and deledio so I am clearly an idiot.

Ivan matic was a massively asset gone and nank filled the role very nicely and after 3 flags is still sort of a baby for a ruckman.

Huge get for tigerland.

Outside of jack Riewoldt (dusty) maybe had the biggest 2017
#MichaelLewis moneyball theory , gestalt of Stiglitz and Daniel Kahneman's individual Nobel theses in <correct pricing of assets>

Collingwood was not incentivised to re-up AA Leon Davis at 450k in '12 when they could re-contract Ireland Irish Marty Clarke for 200k base and 50 potential bonus , and redistribute dollar to Dane Swan and Pendles who would have been up for 7figure contracts

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Bloke doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He is a workhorse!!

Toby Nankervis battles Stefan Martin. Picture: Michael Klein

Toby Nankervis battles Stefan Martin. Picture: Michael Klein
TIME TO THANK NANK
FOR years Shane Edwards held the mantle as the AFL’s most under-appreciated star.

That’s because so much of Edwards’ brilliance goes unnoticed to the naked eye.

He makes other stars shine brighter through clever moments which require TV replays to appreciate.

For a stretch last season it appeared Shai Bolton was also flying under the radar, although surely the footy world has now awoken to his class.

Undersized ruckman Toby Nankervis might be the latest Tiger who deserves more plaudits.

“He’s had a great year,” Hardwick said.

“He’s probably a little bit underrated outside our four walls but within he’s very, very important to the way we play.”

The big man’s second and third efforts are enormous and the Tigers wouldn’t have reached last year’s Grand Final without his herculean prelim.

On Friday night the only player to win more contested ball than Nankervis was Bulldogs’ heartbeat Tom Liberatore.

‘Dimma’ also singled out rejuvenated full-forward Jack Riewoldt, who kicked one goal from nine disposals against valiant Bulldog Alex Keath.

“Jack Riewoldt had a low-possession game but I thought his impact was enormous,” Hardwick said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe this guy cost us only a third-round draft pick. Hard to believe Sydney couldn’t see his value.

Is he the best-value recruit of the past four years?
Only 26 and at 89 games his best footy is still ahead of him as well

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard to believe this guy cost us only a third-round draft pick. Hard to believe Sydney couldn’t see his value.

Is he the best-value recruit of the past four years?
Ruckmen ultimate qua <MoneyBall> pick, why waste a number one on Matthew Kreuzer when every year you can pick up a ruckman with potential who has been delisted or trade for a fourth or third round selection

Remember one of the top handful of ruckmen ever was off the rookie list for West Coast's Dean Cox 🍆 and HOF certainty

Ultimately you can only gauge a mature senior professional ruckman when he is tested in the heat of battle in an AFL regular season fixture against other mature senior professional ruckmen who can oppose compete negate spoil and contest ruck ball-ups with 202 cm 104 kg long levers for tap contesting

Nank never had his-
i) mettle
ii) heart
iii) determination
___________ ______ tested in Sydney for the Sydney Swans because Nank was not the number 1 ruckman in Sydney , and de-facto ownership of the incumbancy #1 ruckman is 9/tenths of the law , like the title-holder in boxing and their belt , to be the title-holder you must win a bout with a knockout or so convincingly they cannot fix the decision with Don Nelson

ergo: it was hidden and not clear in Sydney list's logjam that Nank has manifest mettle heart & detemination

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I love Nank and he has been a warrior for the Tigers but feel that he will eventually end his career at another club

We have younger rucks that will demand games and Nank will eventually be tempted by more $$

But 3 x Premiership player he will always be a Tiger
You'll have a fight on your hands replacing 26 year old Nankervis having possibly his best season. I think Nank is a gun and a better player than his next best season 2017.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I love Nank and he has been a warrior for the Tigers but feel that he will eventually end his career at another club

We have younger rucks that will demand games and Nank will eventually be tempted by more $$

But 3 x Premiership player he will always be a Tiger
Mate & Sampson demand games?
Long way before they get to that stage.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I do think drafting ruckman in the first round is generally a mug move*

Even if you get a good player, they often take years and you don't need super elite ruckmen to succeed, you can pick up/trade for plenty of combative workhorse ruckman across the league mature age at a fraction of the cost with later picks that do the job you need.

*of course some of them work out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back