Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not entirely sold on Petty. Always getting injured which usually means a long spell out. If he keeps getting injured this year Crows might go cold on the whole thing.

Not entirely sold on Petty. Always getting injured which usually means a long spell out. If he keeps getting injured this year Crows might go cold on the whole thing.
Petty is a beauty. No fuss defender. Plays on the big boys. Reliable. Can go forward and kick bags. Rare breed this day and age tbh. Not only competes well in the air, enjoys the contested stuff, but actually does the defensive stuff as a forward rather well. Maybe that's spending time as a defender which has helped, but he's quite invaluable tbh. Coming into his prime years too. Will be a massive loss if he goes, not only for his quality flexibility onfield, but because we really are lacking quality depth in the key position stocks. What we get back won't equate to what we lose. Bit like Dogga leaving.

I think statistically we generally won when tomlinson was in the side, Goodwin doesn't seem to like playing tomlinson. I guess he doesn't trust him enough. Yeah he can make the occasional bad error but if the combination works well then just stick to, perhaps tomlinson will game some confidence as well.
I think there’s some insane stat that between round 17 2020 and round 23 2023 we didn’t lose a game with Tomlinson, Lever and May in the same side.

And yet what does our master mind of a coach do for the Pies final. He drops the third tall defender, and Lo and behold McStay kicks two third quarter goals - one contested mark on the defensive powerhouse duo of Rivers and McVee and the other an uncontested mark with the nearest opponent 15 mtrs away.

I’m getting a bit fed up with Goodwin’s tactics to be frank.

If we go into 2025 with JVR and Schache as our number 1 and 2 key forwards, and Jefferson has yet to debut, then we have no choice but to hold Petty to his contract.

Eeeking an additional first round draft pick out of Adelaide at the end of this year, is not worth potentially having the worst key forward depth chart in the league in 2025.

If we go into 2025 with JVR and Schache as our number 1 and 2 key forwards, and Jefferson has yet to debut, then we have no choice but to hold Petty to his contract.

Eeeking an additional first round draft pick out of Adelaide at the end of this year, is not worth potentially having the worst key forward depth chart in the league in 2025.
It all depends on what we can bring in through trade. Agree you don't let a guy like Petty walk out the door with a couple of late first round picks when we literally have nothing in the shed who can take his place. Who knows. Jefferson and Adams might come on. Jury is still out on both. Adams is probably the one we need to develop quickly. Looks a similar type to Petty. I think if he takes a huge leap this season, then trading Petty could be a possibility to get a touch more from the Crows. If not, then we hold him to his contract.

I think there’s some insane stat that between round 17 2020 and round 23 2023 we didn’t lose a game with Tomlinson, Lever and May in the same side.

And yet what does our master mind of a coach do for the Pies final. He drops the third tall defender, and Lo and behold McStay kicks two third quarter goals - one contested mark on the defensive powerhouse duo of Rivers and McVee and the other an uncontested mark with the nearest opponent 15 mtrs away.

I’m getting a bit fed up with Goodwin’s tactics to be frank.
Whole finals series was a coaching masterclass tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back