Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is goals kicked the only metric you use?

In that case, are you saying Ben/Max king, Cale Hooker, Mitch Geordiardes, Brody mihocek, buddy, Tom Hawkins, Aaron Naughton, Eric Hopwood, Harry Himmelberg and Jack reiwoldt have had better years so far than Tom?

Tom averages more disposals than all of them, more score involvements than all bar Naughton, more I50 entries, I50 tackles, metres gained, marks (bar Naughton) intercepts, contested marks (bar Naughton)

Of the rest I've left out, the following have also kicked more goals

Allen, Bruce, McKay, tabener and darling.

Allen, kicked a 5 and a 4, but also had 3 games where he has hardly touched it

Bruce, 10 goals against north, 4 other games where he hardly touched it

Tabener 8 goals over last 2 games, but only just going outside that.

McKay 17 goals over 3 games, but largely ineffective the other 3. Looks great when Carlton can use him, but a witches hat outside that.

Darling, putting together a very solid season, but probably not really starting just yet.

From my original statement, there is only walker definitely ahead, and you could throw a blanket over McDonald, McKay, Darling and Naughton next.
I'm not potting him, I reckon he's been great for us this year. And no, goals isn't the only metric. But it's weighted heavily for a KPF, much more so than I50 entries, meters gained and intercepts. If Adelaide came to us right now and said we'll straight swap Walker for McDonald I wouldn't do it. McKay, Naughton, Darling, either King on the other hand. I'd be very surprised if Tmac was in any rolling all-Australian calculations as a key forward right now. He's as much a link up player as he is a key forward, which is suiting our need and our system. But you need a big old pair of rose coloured glasses to suggest he's the second best key forward in the comp to this point in the season.

The old losing a bit of weight over an off-season looks to have resurrected another career.

Good to see his mobility and workrate back, was always his biggest strength. Undroppable at the moment

where was this form the last two years? we go out and spend big to get another key forward to replace him and then he decides to come good. onya TMac!

Last year of his contract funnily enough. I expect Harmesy to come out of hibernation around the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey and Neeld turned him into a defender, reading page 1 he came in as a ruck forward and really has played his best footy there? Never really got a chance before 2017/2018?

Bailey and Neeld turned him into a defender, reading page 1 he came in as a ruck forward and really has played his best footy there? Never really got a chance before 2017/2018?

I'm just happy to assume because his field kicking could be so bad that no one ever considered he could reliably kick it between the two big sticks, turns out he was probably the most accurate kick for goal we had on our list the whole time

I'm just happy to assume because his field kicking could be so bad that no one ever considered he could reliably kick it between the two big sticks, turns out he was probably the most accurate kick for goal we had on our list the whole time

TMac is a lot like Mason Cox being a good set shot at goal despite not being the best user around the ground. Doesn't overthink things for one, and looks like he got his set shot routine out of "Set Shots for dummies" coz absolutely everything is text book. Runs in a straight line towards the target, gets up decent momentum, holds the ball low on his approach so not much can go wrong with his ball drop.

It's not that hard , Clarry and Trac. You both do none of those three things.

Tmacs field kicking is funny, he nails some really good passes but when he does screw it up it is horrendously bad. Always used to be at least 1 or 2 turnovers which would kill us when he was a defender.

I think he most of his bad kicks are from over kicking it when he tries to kick bullets

Has improved his snaps as well. 2018 he wasn't kicking ones like he did on the weekend.

Weid has a pretty good action but will need to get even more accurate to keep up with Brown and Tmac, 2 of the most reliable shots on goal atm.

Its funny how no oppo has clued onto his side-steps as well, been doing them since he was a defender. Pulling them off much more regularly with his mobility back.

Does my head in that two incredibly talented players don’t have good set shot routines. Requires zero skill just work one out that suits you and stick with it. Oliver is genuinely the worst set shot in our team and Trac is way better in general play.

TMac is a lot like Mason Cox being a good set shot at goal despite not being the best user around the ground. Doesn't overthink things for one, and looks like he got his set shot routine out of "Set Shots for dummies" coz absolutely everything is text book. Runs in a straight line towards the target, gets up decent momentum, holds the ball low on his approach so not much can go wrong with his ball drop.

Haha I remember we were talking about it at the time and we came to the conclusion that he kicks accurately in defence he just has no depth control. So He's not missing kicks left and right, it's always short or long which is perfect for goal kicking

The goal he kicked where he moved through traffic was so dumb. Looked slow as * but he's so strong that no one could tackle him. Perfect finish as well.

Probably the best game he's played Since the Eagles game in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back