Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick #53: Tom McDonald
AFL.com said:
Height: 194cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 18/09/92
Club: North Ballarat Rebels (Vic)

Bio: Highly rated tall forward/ruckman who hails from Edenhope in western Victoria. Travelled long distances to train and play with North Ballarat in the TAC Cup, so there's no doubting his commitment.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
A tall, hard-running player who tries to influence as many contests as possible. I try to help out my team in any way I can.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Chad Cornes. He has the versatility to play lots of positions and he reads the game well.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Ability to win my own ground ball as a taller player. Agility, athleticism and running endurance. Ability to free my arms to release runners.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Body strength. Consistency with kicking skills.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Geelong. Chose them at nine years old because they were the only country team.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Geoff Burdett. He believed in me from under-14s through schoolboys and then into the Rebels program.
AFL Website interview and video:
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=104502

Last edited by a moderator:

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Took a while to read his name out - I think deciding whether to go best available or for a small after 3 taller types. Looks a solid unit drafted for a goal square or mobile second ruck role. Let's see how he's going this time in 2 years.

From MFC:
_____

Bio: Highly rated tall forward/ruckman who hails from Edenhope in western Victoria. Travelled long distances to train and play with North Ballarat in the TAC Cup, so there's no doubting his commitment.
Tall ruckman come forward.
Has great endurance / work rate. Never stops running and presenting.
Can take pack marks as a forward and able to fly across packs as a ruckman and take marks.
Gets hands up to handball off.
Clean hands below knees
_____
Some nice aspects here (like any new recruit) but ruck option @ 194cm?

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Reckon we may have been eyeing off Cam O'Shea with this pick given how long we took to make the decision.

I know that O'Shea had been down at Casey training.

Flyswatter

All Australian
Feb 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
just as those of us without foxtel and listening to old skool radio broadcast thought the whole "which Mac/McDonald are they talking about" conundrum was going away...

Notorious

Debutant
Mar 24, 2009
Downtown.
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Magic, Manchester United.
I attended school with Tom at St Patricks college and i am delighted in seeing that he now dons the red and blue. I have seen Tom play a fair bit of school football during last footy season and i will reflect on a particular game where Tom was outstanding. The Herald sun shield final against St Joey's would of been the game that brought Tom into Dean and Barry's calculations. The MFC attended the game as it was a curtain raiser to the Melbourne Vs Sydney match. Tom in this game was instrumental. His ability to get to contests is reflected in his personality and work ethic at school. Tom took countless contested grabs and was unbelievable at ground level. Tom has a fantastic leap and is super agile for his size. I see him as a man that knows what he has to do to be able to make it at the top level, his feet are placed fimly on the ground and i believe he will have a bright future at the club.

Spirit of 39

Cancelled
The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I attended school with Tom at St Patricks college and i am delighted in seeing that he now dons the red and blue. I have seen Tom play a fair bit of school football during last footy season and i will reflect on a particular game where Tom was outstanding. The Herald sun shield final against St Joey's would of been the game that brought Tom into Dean and Barry's calculations. The MFC attended the game as it was a curtain raiser to the Melbourne Vs Sydney match. Tom in this game was instrumental. His ability to get to contests is reflected in his personality and work ethic at school. Tom took countless contested grabs and was unbelievable at ground level. Tom has a fantastic leap and is super agile for his size. I see him as a man that knows what he has to do to be able to make it at the top level, his feet are placed fimly on the ground and i believe he will have a bright future at the club.

Thanks for the insight, Notoroius. Tom sounds like a young man of great character.

Welcome to the Dees, Tommy Mac!!!

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Thanks Notorious - gives me alot of comfort as I dont know much of this guy. Like hearing about his work ethic especially - taking a guy whos going to work hard is better than punting on talent with late picks imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
As bad as it sounds; it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

I was being serious - I didnt see a big problem with that. There are a couple of other stories and implications floating around that were adding up to be more of a problem for me.

(guys we are talking about Jack Darling here not Tom McDonald - just in case)

Pjkimber

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Just been reviewing all the reports from the practice match the other day and was wondering would you rather give McDonald a shot at FB instead of mega dud Matthew Warnock?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back