Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2006
Tasmania - N/W Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics Tas Tigers
Hi all,

Haven't posted in years, and I shudder to think about looking at my history of posting as a teenager and young adult, thought I might get back into it, and start by using this forum and put it to use. I am literally running out of ideas.

As the title suggests I am a 25 year old male looking for work in Melbourne. I'm originally from Tasmania and moved here a little
over 3 years ago. For the last 3 years I have been in the police force but recently not being able to work due to suffering from slight depression due to some factors to do with my mothers health. I decided to put my health first, knock the depression on its head and get my mind back to where it always was.

The trouble I am now finding is trying to catch a break and getting back into the work force. I love working, I love structure and I love routine. I just want to get back into it. When I apply for a job I'm just another name on a piece of paper, along with the other 1000 applicants. I've tried to think outside the box lately, I've emailed football clubs, radio stations, organisations and I've told them about my story of being an ordinary young male, who suffered depression, sought help, and got on top of it. I thought perhaps if I cant get a job the normal way (by applying through the seek website) I thought maybe my struggles and experiences and being able to get on top could be of use to someone else in some form or another. But as of yet haven't had any luck with that idea either.

Being from interstate and not knowing too many people from
Melbourne itself I have found it hard to network and use my lack of contacts over here as a source of who I know not what I know to perhaps land a job like someone could who has been entrenched in Melbourne all their life. Whilst trying to brain storm and think outside the box I thought I might use this forum to put the feelers out to see if anyone could use a young, fit, intelligent, bloke who can use his initiative.

If you feel like a chat, or want to bounce some ideas off me, please share down below, or feel free to pm me. I have a resume and cover letter ready to go and to pass on if needed. Really happy to do anything, but also really think I have a lot to offer in regards to my past health issues, getting on top of them, and now allowing that to help others.

Regards, and thanks in advance,

I don't mean to be rude, and congratulations on feeling better, but any serious employer isn't going to hire you because they feel sorry for you.

I'd drop the sob story and continue to push your strengths that are pertinent to the jobs you're applying for. Being able to string a sentence together puts you ahead of most other people applying for jobs, so keep being persistent and I'm sure you'll find your way.

Just my 2 cents worth on this matter, but don't mention that you've had mental illness whilst going for a job unless directly asked. Even though it is fantastic achievement to have overcome any mental illness, many employers see this to be a possible problem in future.

Sure be honest if asked, but focus on your work achievements

Like everyone's said above, drop the story. As someone that hires, I read "suffers from depression" as "going to take days off". And honestly, a lot of people have suffered depression & gotten on top of it. It's great that you've gotten better! But it's not a selling point. Employers want to know what you're good at, what your strengths are, what you're going to bring to the organisation.

What kind of work are you looking for? Have you tried asking for (unpaid) work experience? Footy clubs & radio stations get sooooooooo many applicants, don't hold out for one of those jobs, get what you can now to get some experience under your belt. The last job that I was involved in at my work had a short list of 27 applicants. That's after HR weeded out hundreds of other applicants that didn't meet the job requirements. No s**t - one of our recurring jobs that we recruit about 80 a year, got 6000 applicants.

And when it comes to your past experience, having worked in the police force looks great on your resume! Use that to sell yourself, because that's what you do job hunting - it's all about selling yourself.

First mistake is applying on line for roles... There's heaps more jobs out there when you go in face to face and speak to people... If they don't have anything ask if hey know someone who is looking for someone. Let employers do your networking for you. 80% of positions aren't advertised so get out there and I'm sure you will find something soon.

80% of positions aren't advertised

Exactly. This is the most important advice you could ever have...

You can get a job within a week through asking around yet many only rely on online job ads, which when you think about it is rediculous.

My advice..

- Apply directly to company websites career pages
- Tailor your resume accordingly to the position, this takes a bit of effort
- Write a cover letter from the heart, something that will resonate with the person hiring.
- Ask around. In person, very good way to find people who can help you find some new work..

I know someone who is 25 and had mental health issues (social anxiety) and he got a job through a mostly fictional resume. From the end of year 12 seven years ago to now he has mostly been living with his parents and playing video games. With 2 aborted attempts at Uni in that period when his parents were hassling him. With no experience and no references he was basically unemployable so he made himself employable. He created 2 imaginary jobs. 2 imaginary reference letters. Fake signatures. Links to 2 fake emails. And 2 mobile phones. They called one reference and emailed the other. He answered both and said he was a good worker. He got the job and it is going well.

The moral of the story is, if the truth isn't working maybe try lies?

Last edited:
I know someone who is 25 and had mental health issues (social anxiety) and he got a job through a mostly fictional resume. From the end of year 12 seven years ago to now he has mostly been living with his parents and playing video games. With 2 aborted attempts at Uni in that period when his parents were hassling him. With no experience and no references he was basically unemployable so he made himself employable. He created 2 imaginary jobs. 2 imaginary reference letters. Fake signatures. Links to 2 fake emails. And 2 mobile phones. They called one reference and emailed the other. He answered both and said he was a good worker. He got the job and it is going well.

The moral of the story is, if the truth isn't working maybe try lies?

Yep. And cover your tracks. Too many nuffies leaving themselves exposed through social media.

First mistake is applying on line for roles... There's heaps more jobs out there when you go in face to face and speak to people... If they don't have anything ask if hey know someone who is looking for someone. Let employers do your networking for you. 80% of positions aren't advertised so get out there and I'm sure you will find something soon.

Where do you get that 80% figure from? Maybe in the 1980s before the prevalence of the Internet and for primarily entry level roles but most major organizations these days either promote from within or have a forced advertisement policy, the days of hiring a bloke because he is your mate are done.

In more senior roles you might be headhunted through networks you've built or recruiters but that's hardly applicable to OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back