Traded 25. Zac Fisher

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly why I included speed & strength along with size: to give you an idea of how they perform athletically for their size (IMO).

Gresham
Nous: A
Skill: A
Size: D
Speed: B+
Strength: B

Daniel
Nous: A
Skill: A+
Size: E
Speed: B+
Strength: B

Mitchell
Nous: A+
Skill: B+
Size: D+
Speed: C
Strength: A+
Caleb Daniel is a B+ for speed? He's not particularly quick at all. Wasn't even top 10 in agility or speed at the combine. He's an endurance running machine.

Looks like a mini Jack Silvagni! Reckon he runs like Buckley. Caleb Daniel made a mockery of those who said he was too short - racked up the possessions and hardly missed a target - Fisher might "surprise" as well!
Reminds me of Tony McGuinness, ex Footscray and Crows way back when.

Specific attributes always come in and out of vogue in the football world.

Almost like a fad.

The fundamentals always remain the same

Nevertheless, it invariably leads to quality players being overlooked because they're small, slow and so on.

For example, as of now clubs seem to be placing a premium on 'big bodied' midfielders, because of the success of the likes of Fyfe, Cripps and Bontempelli.

One other example of this is highlighted by Simon Black who maintains that he fell all the way to around pick 30 because he was considered slow at a time in which pace was a valued attribute.

My point is that Zac Fisher was probably undervalued by other clubs because he didn't fit the current perception of what a midfielder should be like.

Almost like a fad.

Nevertheless, it invariably leads to quality players being overlooked because they're small, slow and so on.

For example, as of now clubs seem to be placing a premium on 'big bodied' midfielders, because of the success of the likes of Fyfe, Cripps and Bontempelli.

One other example of this is highlighted by Simon Black who maintains that he fell all the way to around pick 30 because he was considered slow at a time in which pace was a valued attribute.

My point is that Zac Fisher was probably undervalued by other clubs because he didn't fit the current perception of what a midfielder should be like.

I think the big bodied fad is a lot to do with flexibility. If a mid can go forward a take a contested mark, then that takes the one dimensionality out of the forward line. With team defence, the traditional KPF has to work really hard to get away from his defender and has been rendered pretty ineffective if he is not very mobile like a Riewaldt . But if that team defence also has to look after a cripps or bontempelli or fyfe who can take a big mark then that stretches the resource of the team defence. Even the likes of the small forward eg Eddie are expected to put pressure on the team defence by taking an occasional big mark just to let the defenders know that they have to mind them as well. The problem with the smaller mids is that they cannot take on the role of the bigger guys in the forward line and take the big marks. But as the dogs have shown , clean hands and slick handball and catching the team defence out of postition can overcome their lack of big KPF's to a large degree. But they have to be highly skilled, with quick , clean hands , able to think quickly and strategically to allow the ball to be released to the correct player. It seems that we have recruited a few of those this year Pickett, SPS, Zac, Polson all seem quick and pretty slick with handball. But Zac will need to build up his tank as does every mid, to become useful. There is no use being able to do all the highly skilled things if he cant get to the contest. Its hard to see him being able to do this in his first preseason, but again other players have been effective in their first year- you just never know.
Multiple avenues to goal is the new mantra, this makes a player such as Picken invaluable. The importance of the ruckman being able to drift forward like Boyd did and take a big mark, the bontempellie/cripps/fyfe type of mid is nearly essential.

Good to have a replacement Zac but still getting used to it not being 2E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of ZT, I notice he's saying he wants to play in the midfield....if he gets a go at it and does well I'll be gutted after wishing for 2-3 years for him to have a crack in our midfield

Almost like a fad.

To be fair, i think the extra love for 'big bodied' mids is already changing.
Yes they are still valuable, but Caleb Daniel and the Dogs have already changed perceptions that it is a must for success..

I think 'real footballers' who understand the game and are quick of mind with high footy IQ is now the standout trait recruiters are looking for.

I think i remember reading somewhere that at the time even SOS said he wasn't that interested in Caleb Daniel due to concerns about his size...and that his success changed his perception. Clearly had a big effect on him since he's had no problem picking little guys this year!

If they tick all the other boxes like competitive, high footy IQ, neat skills and can run...then size DOESN'T matter ;)

Anyone who averages 20 odd touches at WAFL seniors as a 175cm/ 61kg/ 17 year old mid, can play.

And there is nothing in those highlight vids that convince me otherwise. Quite the opposite. The kid is streets ahead with mongrel and positioning, which tells he he'll make the transition well.

Im very bullish about Zac.

People keep saying Caleb from the Dogs, but for mine the kid screams Lachie Neale.

Anyone who averages 20 odd touches at WAFL seniors as a 175cm/ 61kg/ 17 year old mid, can play.

And there is nothing in those highlight vids that convince me otherwise. Quite the opposite. The kid is streets ahead with mongrel and positioning, which tells he he'll make the transition well.

People keep saying Caleb from the Dogs, but for mine the kid screams Lachie Neale.

YES PLEASE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. This kid has a combo of Simmo and Murphy in him. Just watch!

I bloody hope you're right Mal.
From the bit I saw of Zac through the year I don't think he's anything like Caleb, other than their lack of height.

Zac has awareness, elite skills and hunts the footy relentlessly. Think Zac Merrett this year.

So pumped sos had the cahunas to pick him at 27.

On our old second round pick wish list thread, you'll find I commented that he is the only one of interest in the options the mods gave us.

So yes either SOS and I are both geniuses or we are both fools. I'm betting on the former.

Sos: "So, Zac what do you want? - the regulation shoulder injury which will put you out for most of the season OR we can do you a much less traumatic wrist injury toward the end of the season which we think( sorry we know) will affect your beep at the combine. Get back to us within the week and we will make the arrangements"

Maybe he gets Serge to do his very best "Godfather" impersonations with potential recruits???

How could you say no?

He sure is in good company....
62f63bbac703bbfe18ef3dceb5b28ec9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So we took SPS at 5 - then the "All Australian" at 25?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back