Toast 250 Shades of Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a summary of the 33-year-old’s career by the numbers:

55 - Gray was taken at pick 55 in the famous 2006 AFL National Draft which saw Port Adelaide also claim Travis Boak at pick 5, Paul Stewart at Pick 23, Nathan Krakouer at pick 39 and Justin Westhoff at 71.

100 - Gray was the 100th player to represent Port Adelaide at AFL level. His debut came in a 34-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 10, 2007 at Football Park. That day he debuted alongside beanpole Justin Westhoff and finished with just two behinds from 13 disposals. He ended up with seven goals from five games that first season.

17 – Gray started his career in the number 17 but switched to number nine after some retched injury luck including a season-ending knee injury requiring a reconstruction in 2012.

348 – Gray has booted 348 goals for Port Adelaide, ranking him second in the club’s AFL history behind former captain Warren Tredrea (who finished with 549 in 255 games)

3 – Gray is a three-time club best and fairest, winning the John Cahill Medal on three consecutive occasions (2014, 2015, 2016). Only Tredrea and Kane Cornes have won it more times (four times each) in the AFL era.

47.28 - Gray is a three-time club leading goal kicker across the regular season (2011, 2017, 2018), with his best season haul of 47.28 coming in 2017. His best individual haul of goals has been six goals in a game, achieved on three separate occasions – most recently against Adelaide in 2018.

96 - He has polled a total of 96 Brownlow Medal votes including his best 19 in a season in 2016. He has polled 13 votes against St Kilda – his best against any team – followed by 12 against Adelaide.

4 - Gray has earned All-Australian honours on four occasions (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) as well as playing for Australia on three occasions in the International Rules.

5 – Gray has won a record five Showdown Medals (2010, 2015, 2018x2, 2019).

19.81 – Gray averages 19.81 disposals per game across his 249-game career. His favourite opponent for disposals is Melbourne against whom he averages 21.86 touches.

51.41 – Gray’s winning percentage across his career is just better than 50 per-cent.

6 – Gray has won six hit-outs across his career, the latest coming in a 32-disposal game against Sydney in Round 14, 2015.

33 – Gray holds the record for most goal assists by a Port Adelaide player in a single AFL season with 33 back in 2014. Warren Tredrea also had 33 assists back in 2003.

2 – Gray’s 250th game will come with him aged 33 and 81 days. This means he will be ranked second in terms of the oldest players to feature for the club at AFL level, behind good mate Justin Westhoff, who was aged 33 and 333 days at his final game.

Gibbs goes number one. 54 picks later R Gray is selected. I mean . WTF!
A great player .Love him.
Still No 3 for me. With time people forget how bloody good Gav was though. Wouldn't have a flag without him.

Games played doesn't factor into. He's a great player a work horse, but not a game changing pivot player for mine.

People forget that pre-knee times Primus carried a whole side and was still so dominant that they changed the rules because of it.

Best I throw in Kane Cornes also then

Primus

Now I'm back. Primus one games, dominated, most influential player in the game, even had a rule change. Led us to minor premierships and should have been a Premiership Captain really.

This isn't to diminsh Travis and easily in the top ten, but, he's executed poorly under pressure repeatedly, last years Pre Lim a great example, to the point the club and supporters know his weakness. Similar in vein to a Dom Cassisi really, just much better

My top 5 in no particular order

Boak
Gray
Tredrea
Wanganeen
Burgoyne
No disrespect and we are all entittled to our opinion, but there is no way in the world you can have Boak ahead of tredrea and I personally don’t think gray can be ahead of tredders.

at his best he was the best player in the comp won many games for us.

Here is a summary of the 33-year-old’s career by the numbers:

55 - Gray was taken at pick 55 in the famous 2006 AFL National Draft which saw Port Adelaide also claim Travis Boak at pick 5, Paul Stewart at Pick 23, Nathan Krakouer at pick 39 and Justin Westhoff at 71.

100 - Gray was the 100th player to represent Port Adelaide at AFL level. His debut came in a 34-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 10, 2007 at Football Park. That day he debuted alongside beanpole Justin Westhoff and finished with just two behinds from 13 disposals. He ended up with seven goals from five games that first season.

17 – Gray started his career in the number 17 but switched to number nine after some retched injury luck including a season-ending knee injury requiring a reconstruction in 2012.

348 – Gray has booted 348 goals for Port Adelaide, ranking him second in the club’s AFL history behind former captain Warren Tredrea (who finished with 549 in 255 games)

3 – Gray is a three-time club best and fairest, winning the John Cahill Medal on three consecutive occasions (2014, 2015, 2016). Only Tredrea and Kane Cornes have won it more times (four times each) in the AFL era.

47.28 - Gray is a three-time club leading goal kicker across the regular season (2011, 2017, 2018), with his best season haul of 47.28 coming in 2017. His best individual haul of goals has been six goals in a game, achieved on three separate occasions – most recently against Adelaide in 2018.

96 - He has polled a total of 96 Brownlow Medal votes including his best 19 in a season in 2016. He has polled 13 votes against St Kilda – his best against any team – followed by 12 against Adelaide.

4 - Gray has earned All-Australian honours on four occasions (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) as well as playing for Australia on three occasions in the International Rules.

5 – Gray has won a record five Showdown Medals (2010, 2015, 2018x2, 2019).

19.81 – Gray averages 19.81 disposals per game across his 249-game career. His favourite opponent for disposals is Melbourne against whom he averages 21.86 touches.

51.41 – Gray’s winning percentage across his career is just better than 50 per-cent.

6 – Gray has won six hit-outs across his career, the latest coming in a 32-disposal game against Sydney in Round 14, 2015.

33 – Gray holds the record for most goal assists by a Port Adelaide player in a single AFL season with 33 back in 2014. Warren Tredrea also had 33 assists back in 2003.

2 – Gray’s 250th game will come with him aged 33 and 81 days. This means he will be ranked second in terms of the oldest players to feature for the club at AFL level, behind good mate Justin Westhoff, who was aged 33 and 333 days at his final game.

What a super player. Hope the club wins big for him in his 250th and I hope his career is celebrated by whichever station is covering the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No disrespect and we are all entittled to our opinion, but there is no way in the world you can have Boak ahead of tredrea and I personally don’t think gray can be ahead of tredders.

in no particular order

I thought they said no order?

1. Arsene. Brilliant captain and probably the best player in the AFL in toughest position on the ground for a decade.
2 Matty. Absolutely the most inspiring leader on ground that we've had and the ability to impose his will on a game on countless occasions.
3. Robbie our most brilliant and enjoyable to watch.

Matty and Arsene took on the captaincy.
I don’t blame Robbie in the slightest for not taking it on but it’s a close call and a point of difference.

Currently sitting .01 behind Cyril in #2 on all-time goal assist average.

First time I saw him play, I instantly feel in love with the poise and skill.

He is my G. Ablett Jnr of Port.... I would put Robbie on par with Gary.

Robbie Gray has been a warrior for our club, a club great and club champion. Robbie has done many great things, but there is one thing he has achieved that I don't think anyone else in the AFL has matched him on.

Robbie after having an ACL reco has gone from a good neat player with a lot of potential, but a bit flakey because of his body was struggling with the rigours of the game, to an absolute superstar of the competition. I can't think of another player that has won 4 All Oz selections and won 3 club championships after having a knee reco.

Tim Watson had a knee reco in 1986 and won Essendon's B&F in 1988 and 1989 and made the VFL team of the year in 1989 is the only player that readily comes to mind to achieving something similar, but not as grand as to what Robbie has, post knee reco.

Watson had played 194 of his 307 games when he did his ACL. Robbie had played 70 games when he did his. Robbie had a similar recovery, did his ACL in 2012 and won the club champion award and All Oz selection 2 years later in 2014 and 2015. Both were 24 when they did their ACL, just that Watson started when he was 15 years and 300 odd days old. He retired for the 2nd time at 33 after having a year off in 1992.

For all the outstanding things Robbie has done, recovering from an ACL the way he has, is arguably his greatest achievement.

Last edited:
Robbie Gray has been a warrior for our club, a club great and club champion. Robbie has done many great things, but there is one thing he has achieved that I don't think anyone else in the AFL has matched him on.

Robbie after having an ACL reco has gone from a good neat player with a lot of potential, but a bit flakey because of his body was struggling with the rigours of the game, to an absolute superstar of the competition. I can't think of another player that has won 4 All Oz selections and won 3 club championships after having a knee reco.

Tim Watson had a knee reco in 1986 and won Essendon's B&F in 1988 and 1989 and made the VFL team of the year in 1989 is the only player that readily comes to mind to achieving something similar, but not as grand as to what Robbie has, post knee reco.

Watson had played 194 of his 307 games when he did his ACL. Robbie had played 70 games when he did his. Robbie had a similar recovery, did his ACL in 2012 and won the club champion award and All Oz selection 2 years later in 2014 and 2015. Both were 24 when they did their ACL, just that Watson started when he was 15 years and 300 odd days old. He retired for the 2nd time at 33 after having a year off in 1992.

For all the outstanding things Robbie has done, recovering from an ACL the way he has, is arguably his greatest achievement.
Max Gawn would be up there. He had two ACL's to boot.

Boak is easily better than all of them bar wanganeen and tredrea
Imagine thinking Boak isn't better than Michael Wilson or ****ing Josh Carr lol. Laughable.

I still remember listening to the '06 draft online. We'd already called out Boak, which caused melts, and I think Stewart and Krakouer. Then we called out "Robert Gray" with pick 50-something and I distinctly remember thinking 'never heard of him, I'm sure he'll be a nobody'. Lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back