Toast 250 Shades of Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubber Toe gets a flag, he’s equal top 3 with Waz and Wanga.

Chadbro and Love Boak close second tier.

Yeah.. nah.... great player, great work horse... top 3?? ..... so you think Boak sneaks in in front of Burgoyne, Wanga's, Treadrea, Wilson, Primus, Francou, Carr, Lade.....

Burgoyne - Absolutely
Gav - Probably on par
Tredrea - Behind
Wilson - Absolutely
Primus - Absolutely
Francou - Yes
Carr - Absolutely
Lade - On par

Tredrea
Gray
<gap>
Boak
Gav
Lade
Chadbro
Kane
<gap>
the rest

Lefti93

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, AEK FC
these threads always turn into the same thing lol.

congrats on getting to 250 Rob, a true great of this club.

love you almost like no other. :heart:

hope derwayne is commentating this game - "LANDED LIKE A CAT ROBBIE GRAY / LIKE SHELLING PEAS"

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geez, c'mon Ports!!!

1623983573897.png

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robbie Gray has been a warrior for our club, a club great and club champion. Robbie has done many great things, but there is one thing he has achieved that I don't think anyone else in the AFL has matched him on.

Robbie after having an ACL reco has gone from a good neat player with a lot of potential, but a bit flakey because of his body was struggling with the rigours of the game, to an absolute superstar of the competition. I can't think of another player that has won 4 All Oz selections and won 3 club championships after having a knee reco.

Tim Watson had a knee reco in 1986 and won Essendon's B&F in 1988 and 1989 and made the VFL team of the year in 1989 is the only player that readily comes to mind to achieving something similar, but not as grand as to what Robbie has, post knee reco.

Watson had played 194 of his 307 games when he did his ACL. Robbie had played 70 games when he did his. Robbie had a similar recovery, did his ACL in 2012 and won the club champion award and All Oz selection 2 years later in 2014 and 2015. Both were 24 when they did their ACL, just that Watson started when he was 15 years and 300 odd days old. He retired for the 2nd time at 33 after having a year off in 1992.

For all the outstanding things Robbie has done, recovering from an ACL the way he has, is arguably his greatest achievement.
Dont forget he had to also overcome & recover from testicular cancer in 2017 as well. Quite often this marks the end of a career with a few marquee farewell games. Robbie, on the otherhand, just keeps on performing and thrilling the crowd 4 years later.

Truly a Port Adelaide Legend in my books!

So it is, that is weird that they put it up amongst the latest articles out
Save's Loukas Founten having to write another article, and talking to Ken.

DSL64

All Australian
Sep 29, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Absolute Champion.
2nd for me behind the great Tredinator.
I've really enjoyed watching him play.

Hope we get up for him tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked up Robbie's playing record.

Between his debut game Rd 10 2007 and that game he did his knee injury Rd 4 2012 he played 70 of 108 possible games and most of those 38 games were missed because of groin and soft tissue injuries as his young body struggled with the rigours of the AFL.

He missed another 21 games during 2012 and the first 3 rounds of 2013. In between time he hit the gym hard and his body wasn't ravaged by the game and the running requirements. Burgo rocks up in November 2012 replacing Falloon and our rehab program takes a quantum leap.

He plays 20 of the next 21 games in 2013. Then he hits preseason and the Dubai camp and apparently was a star there and all preseason and has a season from heaven in 2014.

So since he returned in Rd 4 2013 he has played 179 of a possible 188 and 1 of those 9 games he missed was the stupid MRO ruling and tribunal suspension where he braced to protect himself in that trial game at Mandurah against West Coast.

All up Robbie has played 249 of a possible 317 games and is on a 44 game consecutive streak.

His good mate Boaky made his debut 2 games after Robbie in Rd 12 2007, hasn't had the injury issues and has played 294 out of a possible 315 games. When Robbie did his knee he had played 94 of a 106 games and since then he has played 200 of a possible 209 including 183 of the 188 since Robbie came back.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I still remember listening to the '06 draft online. We'd already called out Boak, which caused melts, and I think Stewart and Krakouer. Then we called out "Robert Gray" with pick 50-something and I distinctly remember thinking 'never heard of him, I'm sure he'll be a nobody'. Lol.
I remember talking to John James (remember him?) before the draft and he said the recruiting team were insisting that we shouldn't go for the local "superstar" and he was wondering about how to deal with the fallout.

I continue to be thankful that we didn't end up in the James Sellar sliding doors universe.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Most ‘clutch’ player of the AFL era for me. His ability to step up when we need it most is just unparalleled.

WHEN Travis Boak jumped on a plane from Melbourne in 2006 to start his AFL career at Port Adelaide, he had no idea what the scruffy-haired teenager next to him would become, nor the friendship they would develop.

Had the pair chatted at all during the one-hour flight, Boak might have got a hint. Instead, the pair sat in silence, conscious that their under 18 rivalry had been superseded and they were now teammates at the most successful senior football club in the country.

Boak was part of the Geelong Falcons side which was forced to watch on as the Oakleigh Chargers came from sixth on the ladder to win the premiership.

Among the Chargers outfit was a classy, if scrappy, young forward called Robert Gray, who at season’s end was named among the TAC team of the year alongside names like Matthew Kruezer, Shaun Grigg, Lachie Hansen and James Frawley...................

Remove this Banner Ad

Back