Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting strategy to pay Burgoyne under the salary cap rather than the football department soft-cap. Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs follow suit and retain veterans on the senior list rather than pay for coaches under the soft cap.

Work for clubs down the bottom of the ladder. Got to assume caps will be tightened and squeezing players into a hard cap would be more important than breaching the soft cap, sides that can manage the salary cap best will be the contenders.

Here's us with an ASADA pension plan going, we'd be wanting to shift those salaries across if possible. Otherwise we're probably right stuffed.

not injured and not selected. of all the senior players to make an example of, it blows my mind that it is Hooker.

is there something else going on here?

not injured and not selected. of all the senior players to make an example of, it blows my mind that it is Hooker.

is there something else going on here?
He tried and cared too much, went against team policy.

Is he just not playing so they can have another look at Stewart in defence?
I'm wondering something similar, perhaps mucking around with the defence forces the midfield to be more accountable, or they just want to shuffle some magnets and find out about a few players that have had limited opportunities and need to be assessed ahead of list cuts or whatever.

It's definitely a bit strange.

Would Eagles take him for a year? Reckon heā€™s got it in him. Games this year and last when our mid worked well and took pressure off the defence and he and Hurls excelled. In. A very good team heā€™d be very handy. Deserves a chance at success

Would Eagles take him for a year? Reckon heā€™s got it in him. Games this year and last when our mid worked well and took pressure off the defence and he and Hurls excelled. In. A very good team heā€™d be very handy. Deserves a chance at success
Doubt they need him.

There is nothing too serious. He as has not been 100% his form was average and they are giving BZT a crack.
I donā€™t disagree, but why was he literally the only player to be omitted in the last 5 years when everyone else gets ā€œmanagedā€.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Experience?
He isn't in their best defence and has played less than half the games this year. Freo aren't taking him

With one year left on his contract, surely the club can talk him into doing the club the biggest of favours and retire a year early.

I doubt the club can carry Hooker & Hurley on the same list in 2021. They will but they shouldn't

They can keep him on. He was decent as a forward in the first game he played there. A month ago most where outraged with how Fox Sports treated him and now we are asking him to retire ? I have the opposite view. He has some footy left in him.
Just on Hurley he has been good this year. Not the player he was but the defenders have been under the pump in a lot of games because of the lack of pressure up the ground when we are playing badly.

I donā€™t disagree, but why was he literally the only player to be omitted in the last 5 years when everyone else gets ā€œmanagedā€.

Maybe his feelings do not get hurt like others. They explained why. For me that is enough.

When the mids have put in a reasonable effort Hooker and Hurley looked very good ...I donā€™t get the theyā€™re finished crowd. Who took Hooker apart this season?
Levi Casboult immediately springs to mind

Levi Casboult immediately springs to mind
Yeah he did play well...from memory kicked one out of his arse on boundary and took a disputed mark.

Following weeks I think took care of Cox but who hasnā€™t. Was good against North, one of our better players against Dogs. Played an important role keeping McGov accountable v Eagles. Forward against Hawks and decent and important. Should have been thrown back earlier against Cats.

And he got dropped !! I just donā€™t get it. Not finished either

The one bloke who brings true passion to the team week-In-week-out is not out there when we are at our most insipid. This seriously needs a better explanation than to do with his form because he wasnā€™t playing any worse than Hurley, Zerk, Gleeson etc etc.

Last edited:
Sam Edmunds on SEN apparently said that Hooker had a massive crack at the coaching staff for not giving TBC a farewell game (currently being discussed on Blitz). Hurley was also apparently not happy about it - not to the same degree as Hooker though.

May be on the outs at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back