Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Edmunds on SEN apparently said that Hooker had a massive crack at the coaching staff for not giving TBC a farewell game (currently being discussed on Blitz). Hurley was also apparently not happy about it - not to the same degree as Hooker though.

May be on the outs at the moment.

lol thatā€™s awesome from Hooker. We were never going to beat the Dees, I donā€™t know why they wouldnā€™t give the retiring guys a farwell - just shows how clueless they all are I guess

I reckon Hooker has a bit to offer but probably not for us unless we are miles better next year than we were this year.
Probably should be used like Mumford for GWS where he gets managed a lot.

lol thatā€™s awesome from Hooker. We were never going to beat the Dees, I donā€™t know why they wouldnā€™t give the retiring guys a farwell - just shows how clueless they all are I guess
From watching the game it was clear that they preferred to go on building that amazing playing culture we have been learning all year

FMD

Sam Edmunds on SEN apparently said that Hooker had a massive crack at the coaching staff for not giving TBC a farewell game (currently being discussed on Blitz). Hurley was also apparently not happy about it - not to the same degree as Hooker though.

I'm not sure if already mentioned and apologies if so but you don't & shouldn't just get given a farewell game. Plenty of blokes haven't been given one. I love that he's stuck up for a mate but life aint fair. Would've thought he got that by now.

I'm not sure if already mentioned and apologies if so but you don't & shouldn't just get given a farewell game. Plenty of blokes haven't been given one. I love that he's stuck up for a mate but life aint fair. Would've thought he got that by now.

It all reeks of we signed on during your darkest hour, we looked after you, you said you'd look after us...

I agree totally. A farewell game in another state in a COVID hub, whatā€™s the point. TBC said himself he didnā€™t want one.

TBH, Iā€™m happy we picked the best 22, regardless of it being a dead rubber.

Farewell games are for Club Legends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It all reeks of we signed on during your darkest hour, we looked after you, you said you'd look after us...

IMO The players were compensated handsomely during and AFTER the Saga.

Guys like Hooker were gifted contracts WELL above what their market rate would have been.

If this is the type of s**t players are worried about at our club then it shows how soft we actually are as a club. Maybe the players should get a bit more upset about not winning a final in ******* 16 years, more so then their mate not getting an undeserved farewell game.

TBC has been plodding around for the last 2 years collecting super. If it wasn't for Drapers ACL injury he realistically should have been DELISTED 2 years ago.

Guys like Hooker were gifted contracts WELL above what their market rate would have been.

If this is the type of sh*t players are worried about at our club then it shows how soft we actually are as a club. Maybe the players should get a bit more upset about not winning a final in ******* 16 years, more so then their mate not getting an undeserved farewell game.

TBC has been plodding around for the last 2 years collecting super. If it wasn't for Drapers ACL injury he realistically should have been DELISTED 2 years ago.

Agreed

If this is the type of sh*t players are worried about at our club then it shows how soft we actually are as a club. Maybe the players should get a bit more upset about not winning a final in ******* 16 years, more so then their mate not getting an undeserved farewell game.

He should have been delisted 2 years ago because Draper did his ACL last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should have been delisted 2 years ago because Draper did his ACL last year?

Sorry I just rounded up. Draper did his knee in May 2019.

well said.

The question has long been the length of time it would take to overcome the supplements saga. The club has essentially done everything it could do to prolong the pain.

As you've said the players have been been compensated for what they've been through. If they haven't they can go and sue the crapper out of the club (and they'll get plenty for it).

Of course, it's Essendon so, the club had to treat the football as part of the compensation package because it was trying to win a PR battle. Stupid 5 year deals for Hurley and Hooker in the context of their bodies (Hurley worn by impact injuries from the waist up and Hooker worn by constant hamstring problems that robbed him of his pace). Farewell tours for players done in 2015. No selection pressure. It never seems to end.

Now we're essentially being humiliated by Daniher sleeping around in the hope he will return, because, funnily enough, we can't deal with the embarrassment of divorce. This is from a guy who hasn't wanted to play for us for most of the last 24 months.

In no way did it have to end this way but we made it inevitable. We really shouldn't waste this opportunity, at a time at which we are as low as we were in 2015, probably even lower on field, to reset everything. Clear out absolutely everyone and start again.

Last edited:
The question has long been the length of time it would take to overcome the supplements saga. The club has essentially done everything it could do to prolong the pain.

As you've said the players have been been compensated for what they've been through. If they haven't they can go and sue the crapper out of the club (and they'll get plenty for it).

Of course the club had to treat the football as part of the compensation package because it was trying to win a PR battle. Stupid 5 year deals for Hurley and Hooker in the context of their bodies (Hurley worn by impact injuries from the waist up and Hooker worn by constant hamstring problems that robbed him of his pace). Farewell tours for players done in 2015. No selection pressure. It never seems to end.

Now we're essentially being humiliated by Daniher sleeping around in the hope he will return, because, funnily enough, we can't deal with the embarrassment of divorce. This is from a guy who hasn't wanted to play for us for most of the last 24 months.

In no way did it have to end this way but we made it inevitable. We really shouldn't waste this opportunity, at a time at which we are as low as we were in 2015, probably even lower on field, to reset everything. Clear out absolutely everyone and start again.

Everyone chucks Hooker and Hurley into the same basket but I think there's a bit of hindsight-ism over Hurley's deal in 2016. At the time he was a 25/26yo reigning AA key position player. A five year deal wasn't stupid and was actually about par for the course. He would've got six on the open market.

Of course the club had to treat the football as part of the compensation package because it was trying to win a PR battle. Stupid 5 year deals for Hurley and Hooker in the context of their bodies (Hurley worn by impact injuries from the waist up and Hooker worn by constant hamstring problems that robbed him of his pace). Farewell tours for players done in 2015. No selection pressure. It never seems to end.

Agree too all.

like I said in a different thread if I was Rutten id be telling Joe he has until end of September to confirm is he's staying or not.

If Daniher hasn't made his mind up after a year then that's not a good look and we don't need him taking the piss out of us. Better to take the pain now and plan going forward accordingly.

Its risky going too harsh on some of the older players like Hooker. He's part of the glue that keeps the team together.

I agree Bellchambers has been gifted the last 2 years barely being there, but how likely would we have gotten Saad, Shiel, Stringer, Smith, to signup to the dons if they thought we were going full rebuild?

We should do a Hawks player management on Hooker/Hurly, rest them in early season matches and unleash them at the later stages of the year come finals.

Sam must be reading Bomber Blitz. :p

Give the man a choice, he can stay if he wants or choose to go to a contender of choice and weā€™ll give him Essendon life membership, donā€™t send him off disgruntled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back