Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Only thing missing from him this season so far is some head ruffling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting discussion for which there should be more discussion. I reckon the question was answered in 2017 and when Ambrose developed his defensive game.

his AA jacket doesn't really say "wasted potential" to me.
in their prime he and hurley were arguably the best KPD combo in the competition

I guess our persistence with Daniher and other swing options like Hurley may have had something to do with it, as well as our knee-jerk reactions in moving him back every time he seemed to have had an off-day in the forward-line... as opposed to doing what we'd usually do with other players and left him there to marinate and grind out that potential as a consistent forward.

But I digress, the fact that he was able to cement himself as an AA backman is just a testament to his versatility and talent as a player - but good forwards are usually tough to come by, and it's what we've been crying out for since Lloyd's and Lucas' departure. He may have had the talent to make that area his own.

Any other forward kicks 5, or even 3 - and they're in the papers, lauded as the next best thing. Hooker does it, and it's "well, that's Cale".

Nevertheless, hopefully Jones/Cox can develop themselves to be that consistent duo we've missed out on for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back