Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™m very much on the Hooker forward band wagon. Heā€™s such a strong mark that he presents a matchup head ache for a lot of sides

I don't mind him being forward, but what if McKernan and Stewart are fit as well?

I don't mind him being forward, but what if McKernan and Stewart are fit as well?

I think the backline logjam has much more deserving players to worry about fitting into the side. Even with Hooker and Ambrose out of the back 6 Gleeson wasnā€™t selected in round 1. Bring those guys and Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley and Francis come under pressure.

Hooker deserves a spot over Stewart as a forward. You can play both Hooker and McKernan together.

Perhaps. McKernan and Hooker are quite similar types up forward (marking targets, not overly agile). If you had both youā€™d want to surround them with a very small forward line I think. And we have Stringer. Iā€™d probably prefer one beast (McKernan or Hooker) and one agile tall (Stewart or Daniher). Plus Stringer, then the smalls.

Perhaps. McKernan and Hooker are quite similar types up forward (marking targets, not overly agile). If you had both youā€™d want to surround them with a very small forward line I think. And we have Stringer. Iā€™d probably prefer one beast (McKernan or Hooker) and one agile tall (Stewart or Daniher). Plus Stringer, then the smalls.

Our best forward set up in recent years had all of Hooker, Daniher and Stewart in it. Mckernan isnā€™t any worse defensively than Daniher imo

I think McKernan is more agile than beast and picture him playing the agile tall role that you talk about. Hooker as the beast at full forward.

If Stewart and Daniher are fit Hooker goes back. If not he goes forward. Our best possible backline would be Hooker as the intercept defender chopping things off with his elite marking. Hurley locking down on the lead up player, but trying to hurt him the other way if Hooker intercepts. I would also have Francis working as an intercept defender. Add McKenna and Saad and it is elite.

If Zerk continues to come on, Hooker's marking forward of the ball is priceless.

I personally think that Hooker should train at both ends of the ground this year and play where he fits in best with availability. I'd also look to manage him as he must be on the dark side of 30 now and there will be a bunch of games close together.

Y'all talking like there aren't any question marks on what level of performance Hooker is going to bring.

You know that won't affect selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know that won't affect selection.
:hearteyes:
Kicking. Bloody. Goals.
I'm not too sold on Zerk, and if Rutten and Caracella are setting the style you'd probably think we try to go a more mobile forward set up. Personally I think there's still room for a player who can mark it inside 50. It's going to be real interesting to see what transpires with Hooker.

:hearteyes:

I'm not too sold on Zerk, and if Rutten and Caracella are setting the style you'd probably think we try to go a more mobile forward set up. Personally I think there's still room for a player who can mark it inside 50. It's going to be real interesting to see what transpires with Hooker.
I know I'm being parochial. I'm just getting very toey about football returning and I'd like to see Hooker forward.

Hooker just looks a shadow of himself and can barely keep up with the slowest of key forwards... Even inside the back 50 he was woeful. Would rather BZT/Ambrose and just throw hooker forward, at least he's a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back