Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
anyone else a bit worried about Chook? he's been good all year and structurally he's very important for us...but he was ordinary against the Pies - 0 goals, 3 free's against (mainly out of frustration), 1 mark, 2 tackles....hope he just had an off day and bounces back against the Blues this week. OR we could rest him and give Ambrose a go at full forward against the Blues...???

anyone else a bit worried about Chook? he's been good all year and structurally he's very important for us...but he was ordinary against the Pies - 0 goals, 3 free's against (mainly out of frustration), 1 mark, 2 tackles....hope he just had an off day and bounces back against the Blues this week. OR we could rest him and give Ambrose a go at full forward against the Blues...???
Only one game.

He didn’t stop trying and put enormous amount of pressure on. We scored so many opportunistic snap goals. The pressure he, Jones and stringer were applying, and at least being able to bring the ball to ground makes his off game still important

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

WTF

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought he was fine. Took their main defender which allowed Wright to get better match-ups. Sure he didn't kick any goals, but that's more a bonus to what he already does by being in the forward 50.

Really don't think Ambrose can play that same role tbh. He's nowhere as good a mark as Hooker, so I feel like whoever's manning him would eventually start zoning off without having to worry about getting burned the other way.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Had a game similar to one of Townsend's. Was actually a hindrance spoiling his own teammates, getting in their leading lanes etc. Love him and I hope that game was an aberration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Didn’t get amongst the goals, I might be mistake but I don’t think he got outmarked all day by his opponent and always made sure the ball came to ground - which is always a great sign.
If he's fit, he plays

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

No totally. Did not have a great day but a lot of the ball kicked to him he brought to ground and we held it in the forward half. If he was being out marked time and time again it would have been more of a concern.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Not worried in the sense that he's a fading gun and some really bad games are to be expected from someone who will struggle to cover the ground to the extent he does.

He'll probably play 50/50 good and bad depending on whether we can get the ball into that phone box in which he is most effective.

It's just not going to happen every week. So far he's still been effective enough to have a good farewell tour.

I'd like to think next year Bryan comes in and Wright replaces Hooker as the no 1. Lots of water to pass under the bridge yet.

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: Cale Hooker

Very fast. 2.88 in the 20m sprint and a 7.94 in agility, with good endurance all at 195cm. Seems like an athlete, but can he play footy?

This is in the first few posts in this thread (for whatever reason I was diverted to page 1 or palm mashed or something).

Imagine if Hooker maintained that athleticism proportionate to the weight gain (I assume everyone slows a bit with the weight).

Hooker would have been the key defender of his generation and in the discussion as one of the best ever. Like the rich man's version of Harris Andrews (if you could picture such a thing).

This is in the first few posts in this thread (for whatever reason I was diverted to page 1 or palm mashed or something).

Imagine if Hooker maintained that athleticism proportionate to the weight gain (I assume everyone slows a bit with the weight).

Hooker would have been the key defender of his generation and in the discussion as one of the best ever. Like the rich man's version of Harris Andrews (if you could picture such a thing).
He's not 195 anymore either, I wonder if that was his legs growing a bit more and that caused his hammies to go?

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's not 195 anymore either, I wonder if that was his legs growing a bit more and that caused his hammies to go?

Who knows, sounds like that could be part of it but he was also recruited at 19 so it would have been a pretty late growth spurt.

I also sometimes think height measurements are like they were during a footy camp I did at school many years ago.

Basically walking past measurements on a wall with some old guy calling out what he thinks the height looks like through his cataracts and sitting in a chair.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Nah.

He missed two very gettable shots, competed hard all game, didn't get outmarked. He's fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back