Player Watch #26: Cale Hooker - Equal 4th in the Coleman!

Donakebab

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Yeah it's just a fluff piece, but first uninterrupted pre-season in a long time and dropping 5-6kg is some pretty good fluff.

11kgm

Premium Platinum
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Hooker's been such a quality player for us for so long. It would be so great if he could get back to some of his best footy in 2021.
The last couple of years he's been plagued by interrupted preseasons and he's always been chasing fitness coming into round 1.
I don't know how much longer he has left in him but having him on the field to lead some of the young blokes could be huge.

Hooker also does round out our defense a bit better if we are pairing him with guys like Francis and Ridley who are less suited to playing on the gorilla's. BZT in theory could play on the bigger guys but it doesn't seem to be happening for him. He's bulked up but its just made him slow and he's still not strong enough from what I've seen.

Mind you all of the above has the big caveat that he needs to stay fit for the next 8 weeks which is far from a guarantee.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Hooker's been such a quality player for us for so long. It would be so great if he could get back to some of his best footy in 2021.
The last couple of years he's been plagued by interrupted preseasons and he's always been chasing fitness coming into round 1.
I don't know how much longer he has left in him but having him on the field to lead some of the young blokes could be huge.

Hooker also does round out our defense a bit better if we are pairing him with guys like Francis and Ridley who are less suited to playing on the gorilla's. BZT in theory could play on the bigger guys but it doesn't seem to be happening for him. He's bulked up but its just made him slow and he's still not strong enough from what I've seen.

Mind you all of the above has the big caveat that he needs to stay fit for the next 8 weeks which is far from a guarantee.
Was going to give you a like after the 1st paragraph, now I'm worried he'll be able to stay fit

Premiership Player
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
He looks the best shape I've seen him in.
He is a 32 year old footballer and passed his peak.

The best we can hope here is that he can contribute and remain healthy, when in the best 22.

He will be in the group that get's rested, to esnure he is at his freshest - barring injury.

Remove this Banner Ad