Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

The nice part of imagining this is picturing the bags of 10+ he would need to pull it off.

Imagine Chook with 12. The double fist pumps would be cranking off the charts

How good is it when he just continues his run-up to kick by running toward the crowd with his arms raised as the ball sails through

Have said it before.....there is a real sliding doors scenario re what might have been had we realised earlier that Hooker was such a capable forward rather than cycling through Hurley and then Carlisle.

I reckon the first person to call for him forward was Yaco55 and many scoffed at the time. Looking back now we had a 60+ goal forward on our list and no bloody idea that we did. Would have taken so much heat off the young JD who was getting double teamed every time he jumped for the footy, in fact JD may have ended up getting the number 2.

Have said it before.....there is a real sliding doors scenario re what might have been had we realised earlier that Hooker was such a capable forward rather than cycling through Hurley and then Carlisle.

I reckon the first person to call for him forward was Yaco55 and many scoffed at the time. Looking back now we had a 60+ goal forward on our list and no bloody idea that we did. Would have taken so much heat off the young JD who was getting double teamed every time he jumped for the footy, in fact JD may have ended up getting the number 2.
Hurley - Carlisle - Ryder - Daniher - Hooker spine.
With what we know now, that's quality.

Hurley - Carlisle - Ryder - Daniher - Hooker spine.
With what we know now, that's quality.

Its nice to look back on, but the reality would just be different.

Carlisle was fantastic at CHB for what... half a season? He left to get a permanent backline position and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire at St Kilda. He’s never reached the level he did for us in 2013.

Daniher we know - straight to All Aust but then basically hasn’t played for the three years since.

Ryder moves on anyway due to “off field issues”

Hurley and Hooker we hardly wasted - both were All Aust as key backs.

We can’t have too many regrets with that group. Nothing we could do about Daniher being made of glass. Ryder hurt but it wasn’t our fault. Carlisle has not fulfilled his trade price at St Kilda. He’s had a fourth and seventh place in their B&F, which is as good as he’s been. Hardly worthy of a Top 5 draft pick, which we got for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its nice to look back on, but the reality would just be different.

Carlisle was fantastic at CHB for what... half a season? He left to get a permanent backline position and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire at St Kilda. He’s never reached the level he did for us in 2013.

Daniher we know - straight to All Aust but then basically hasn’t played for the three years since.

Ryder moves on anyway due to “off field issues”

Hurley and Hooker we hardly wasted - both were All Aust as key backs.

We can’t have too many regrets with that group. Nothing we could do about Daniher being made of glass. Ryder hurt but it wasn’t our fault. Carlisle has not fulfilled his trade price at St Kilda. He’s had a fourth and seventh place in their B&F, which is as good as he’s been. Hardly worthy of a Top 5 draft pick, which we got for him.

I always felt Carlisle would have been AA if he played permanently down back for us. Has been smashed by injuries at the Saints. Hooker to FF would have been a dynamite spine as a hypothetical, but the reality means we know it would never have really lasted with Ryder going and the suspensions.

I always felt Carlisle would have been AA if he played permanently down back for us. Has been smashed by injuries at the Saints. Hooker to FF would have been a dynamite spine as a hypothetical, but the reality means we know it would never have really lasted with Ryder going and the suspensions.
also smashing coke doesn't help

I agree, but he played two of the most amazing games up forward for us. The 8 goal performance against the Dogs and the 20+ marks game against Pies. Didn’t help his ‘I want to be a backman” argument

I agree, but he played two of the most amazing games up forward for us. The 8 goal performance against the Dogs and the 20+ marks game against Pies. Didn’t help his ‘I want to be a backman” argument

He had all the physical tools and was a smart enough footballer, but just not that elite performer’s mindset I think.

Oh he was certainly more than capable of playing as a forward as well, just didn't want to, whereas Hooker seems happy to play anywhere.

A happy Carlisle back, with a happy Hooker forward, versus an unhappy Carlisle forward, and a happy Hooker back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back