Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked real dangerous whenever the ball was directed at him, didn't clunk marks but that touch will come. Scary prospect in our fwd line if the ball movement can be as fast as that all year.

You'd hate to play on hooker. One out it doesn't matter if he marks it, he beats them in the contest.

Love this bloke so much. Guys like this are the reason I played team sports and the reason I love team sports. Such a competitor yet you can see how happy he is when his team mates do well. Gold!!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Still personally not convinced we're better off with this guy forward.

Not based on his forward form, but overall.

Against both Brissy and Carlton I thought we lacked smart, intercepting options out of the backline. Basically, we missed Hooker. Brisbane got on a huge run-on and I think his presence could have quelled that considerably. And Carlton were smarter than us behind the ball yesterday, leaving Simpson back to mop up and intercept attacks whilst we had nobody doing the same.

Hurley is a beast who blankets a forward and attacks when he can... but * we miss All Australian Hooker imo. Such a star.

I guess it's moot unless Stewart or somebody can provide a target up forward.

Against both Brissy and Carlton I thought we lacked smart, intercepting options out of the backline. Basically, we missed Hooker. Brisbane got on a huge run-on and I think his presence could have quelled that considerably. And Carlton were smarter than us behind the ball yesterday, leaving Simpson back to mop up and intercept attacks whilst we had nobody doing the same.

Hurley is a beast who blankets a forward and attacks when he can... but **** we miss All Australian Hooker imo. Such a star.

I too miss Hooker down back was clunk city with him there.

Really hope Stewart becomes the forward we crave.

Hurley is a beast who blankets a forward and attacks when he can... but **** we miss All Australian Hooker imo. Such a star.

In reality we have probably lost our best intercept marks all in one go. Fletch, Hibberd and Hooker.

Yet our rebound from defensive 50m to score is now one of our biggest strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reality we have probably lost our best intercept marks all in one go. Fletch, Hibberd and Hooker.

Yet our rebound from defensive 50m to score is now one of our biggest strengths.

Gleeson is a better intercept mark than Hibberd.

It's just that not having them all there at the same times puts the pressure on one player, rather than 2-3 being there so at least one can always get free.

Last edited:

I agree with this, but until we get a second tall option that can play regular footy up forward I fear our hands are tied to a degree. The small/mid size forwards look good, just need the second tall.

Gleeson is a better intercept mark then Hibberd.

That's a massive call IMO

If Stewart is kept in the twos and kicks bags for a couple of more weeks, maybe we do have Hooker back again. Cue the Hooker forward or back thread.

It's the Harry Taylor thing. Do you want an outstanding backman or an ok forward.

Stand to be corrected but I can't think of many backmen who have gone forward at that stage if their career and excelled. You can't just learn forward craft quickly.

I know he has to be forward for balance but * it sucks missing out on an AA quality backman. Ambrose, Brown, Hartley etc are ok but they couldn't do Hooker's laces up as a backman.

It's the Harry Taylor thing. Do you want an outstanding backman or an ok forward.

Stand to be corrected but I can't think of many backmen who have gone forward at that stage if their career and excelled. You can't just learn forward craft quickly.

I know he has to be forward for balance but **** it sucks missing out on an AA quality backman. Ambrose, Brown, Hartley etc are ok but they couldn't do Hooker's laces up as a backman.
Taylor forward is enough to attract a key defender and open the space for Hawkins. Shitty situation for Taylor but good for GFC and probs the same for us re: Hooker and Daniher, I agree. Better if Stewart comes on quickly... maybe we can trade in Hipwood or Schache.

I know he has to be forward for balance but **** it sucks missing out on an AA quality backman. Ambrose, Brown, Hartley etc are ok but they couldn't do Hooker's laces up as a backman.
Hooker is a much better forward than Harry Taylor IMO. I don't think Hooker would be at his best down back right now either, he is likely to still be a little rusty from his lack of preseason match practice. He did miss all intra-clubs and all JLT games, he would not be in AA backman form either.

Hooker is not a backman turned forward in the purest sense. Predraft he played as a forward, he also kicked 5 in the VFL as a developing player. He has played as a back in his career originally because of need and not because he was always a backman.

If Stewart is kept in the twos and kicks bags for a couple of more weeks, maybe we do have Hooker back again. Cue the Hooker forward or back thread.
Stewart is actually suited to playing 3rd tall.

Besides, I think we can fall into the trap of rating team structure too highly. It is important but it is not an iron rule that can never be broken. If Stewart and Francis are clearly best 22 we should consider bringing them both in. There is a reasonable argument that our best forward 6 (this year) might be:

Fantasia Daniher Stewart
Francis Hooker Walla

I think Adelaide have proven that you can have a great forward line as long as the talent is there; even if you look too tall on paper.

Stewart is actually suited to playing 3rd tall.

Besides, I think we can fall into the trap of rating team structure too highly. It is important but it is not an iron rule that can never be broken. If Stewart and Francis are clearly best 22 we should consider bringing them both in. There is a reasonable argument that our best forward 6 (this year) might be:

Fantasia Daniher Stewart
Francis Hooker Walla

I think Adelaide have proven that you can have a great forward line as long as the talent is there; even if you look too tall on paper.
I tend to agree but I understand Woosha's comment re: chemistry as well. Long term it's chemistry across the team regardless of who might be in or out... Round 8 or 9 might be a bit ambitious though.

Looks like a tall forward line you've devised.

I tend to agree but I understand Woosha's comment re: chemistry as well. Long term it's chemistry across the team regardless of who might be in or out... Round 8 or 9 might be a bit ambitious though.

Looks like a tall forward line you've devised.

Yeah it looks like Woosha is thinking different.

Still looks underdone. I think he's a better back but in late 2015 he had 40 scoring shots from 10 games. That's a serious return in what was a struggling team. With slightly better than average accuracy that's a 50 goal a year forward.

Had his arm chopped or was infringed from entering the contest every time it got near him. We need more stronger leading targets coming off half forward. Every time we went long down the line it was never to advantage and we barely made a contest of it. Not enough switching or running the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back