Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Hooker back means Hurley as more room to move and limited players like Hartley can just focus on doing a job. Sometimes the selection or position of players has more effect than just what they do in that role. At the same time, you can see Daniher finding it hard to get any space. However, I think that is much easier to cover by having smalls at his feet.

The good thing about him playing back is against a small side like Richmond we could switch things up by giving him a run in the forward half if we want to push Stringer or Daniher onto the ball.

As I said it wasn't just about getting more out of MY BOY it was what we got out of Stringer and Hurley as well this week.

This guy is probably my favourite Essendon man ever.

Consider this:

We tried to piss him off to WA for a handful of magic beans, and not only did he refuse to consider it - he bunkered down in his house and didnt answer the door. But he never held it against us.
We then pumped him full of crazy experimental Mexican love juice that probably made him infertile, and again - he never held it against us.
We also moved him from his AA defence position into the forward line because we had * all other options, and not only did he not hold it against us, but he embraced the challenge like a ******* champion and became a 40+ goal kicker.

I petition we name both ends of Docklands stadium the Hooker end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider this:

We tried to piss him off to WA for a handful of magic beans, and not only did he refuse to consider it - he bunkered down in his house and didnt answer the door. But he never held it against us.
We then pumped him full of crazy experimental Mexican love juice that probably made him infertile, and again - he never held it against us.
We also moved him from his AA defence position into the forward line because we had **** all other options, and not only did he not hold it against us, but he embraced the challenge like a ******* champion and became a 40+ goal kicker.

He was also one of the first of the 34 (if not the first?) players to resign with the club.

Talk of potential citing for the stray arm to Wingard.

They couldn’t could they?
Yeah, you can sleep well tonight my friend, there is no chance of that happening at all.

He was also one of the first of the 34 (if not the first?) players to resign with the club.
YES! He was the first big one, right after Hocking - who is also an A grade certified Essendon Legend.

He just elevates the play of all our other defenders, he didn't do that up forward.

It allows Hurley to roam free, Hartley to focus on nothing but stopping his man.

He also knows exactly where to get the ball to on the rebound.

Hopefully he won't go back forward if Ambrose comes in.

Consider this:

We also moved him from his AA defence position into the forward line because we had **** all other options, and not only did he not hold it against us, but he embraced the challenge like a ******* champion and became a 40+ goal kicker.

How about a street corner?

He just elevates the play of all our other defenders, he didn't do that up forward.

How about a street corner?
Ha-ha! Good one!!

But I do kind of disagree a little bit with the bolded - he made everyone in the forward line walk taller when he was there.

Consider this:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the clubman of the year award needs to be named in his honour. This side is radically different if he decides to jump ship and take Freo's offer this time in 2016.

I was quite happy for Hooker to stay forward but with the improvement of Stewart and getting Stringer it really is starting to look unnecessary and Hooker adds so much to our defense. He's the perfect size to take gorilla's if needed, which is great because Hurley isn't suited to them and if the opposition don't have anyone like that he just intercept marks all day long. Plus we all kinda know that Brown, Hartley and Ambrose are all a bit limited and its best if we are only playing 1 of them (my preference is Ambrose but everyone has their favourite).

I reckon his time up forward hasn't done his disposal any harm because his ball use was sharp today down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back