Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 26. Cale Hooker

he showed real glimpses of talent on saturday. seems like a smart footballer

After a few weeks as an emergency for the seniors and after playing some very solid games for Bendigo, Hooker seems likely to debut very soon. He was named best on against Frankston last weekend with Dempsey behind him. I have seen him play a couple of times this year and I like the look of him. He plays as a tall CHF/FF but what impressed me most was when the ball was on the ground and his ball-handling ability. He can read the play beautifully and has the ability to play as a crumber or marking target. Keep your eye out for him in the next few weeks as he is sure to debut this year.

he was drafted as a development player so there is no need to rush him into the seniors this year. he certainly has developed so his drafting would seem to have been worth it at the moment.

i like to think of him as a good mix between kepler and jared brennan

didnt think he was too bad on sunday. looked as if he started to find his feet which is a great sign as all you want to see from a developmental player is continued improvement

Was one of the few good signs in the most disgusting performance i've seen Essendon put on the park.

A very long way to go but liked the way he came out after a pretty poor first game and held his own.

Another big pre-season and more experience and we'll see how he goes.

Hero!

PS

Superb plug! He could had just said 'A phone' but he's got the sponsor in there as well!

Essendon are the best drilled team in the comp re mentioning sponsors. It's one of the reasons we scored the biggest deal ever. Got to give them value for their gigantic bucketloads of cash!

hook.jpg

Height: 196cm
Weight: 93kg
Date of birth: 13/10/1988
AFL debut: 2008
Essendon debut: 2008
Total AFL Games: 2
Total EFC Games: 2
Total Goals: 0
Previous Club(s): East Fremantle
Recruited From: 2007 National Draft, selection 54

Ok, so its no big secret that I have copied this straight from the EFC website, but rest assured If any news comes to hand, I will be posting it up here ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Big fella is gettinbg a game this year. Has had a few solid matches without being outstanding in the Magoos, So will be interesting to see how he goes with the pressure of the top Level

Taken from Essendonfc.com.au

Assistant coach Gary O’Donnell is excited that Cale Hooker will get the opportunity to support Patrick Ryder in the ruck this weekend against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

Speaking on 'Best 22', O'Donnell is confident that Hooker will step-up following a recent strong stint at the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL.

He will replace Essendon ruckman David Hille.

“Cale is a flexible player; he can play as a tall back man, and is flexible forward as well. He played a little bit of ruck during pre-season, and has recently come off a regular stint at the Bendigo Bombers, where he has been performing consistently,” O'Donnell said.

“It’s a big step to go from VFL to AFL, but we’re pretty sure that he can fill the void and also to relieve Paddy. It would be unreasonable to leave Paddy playing full games – like last week – for too long."

Best 22: Hooker gets his chance in the ruck
Thursday, 30 April 2009
Laurene Collier for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1
09intraclub77-l.jpg

Bellchambers and Hooker compete in the ruck during the 2009 intra club practice match
Assistant coach Gary O’Donnell is excited that Cale Hooker will get the opportunity to support Patrick Ryder in the ruck this weekend against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

Speaking on 'Best 22', O'Donnell is confident that Hooker will step-up following a recent strong stint at the Bendigo Bombers in the VFL.

He will replace Essendon ruckman David Hille.

“Cale is a flexible player; he can play as a tall back man, and is flexible forward as well. He played a little bit of ruck during pre-season, and has recently come off a regular stint at the Bendigo Bombers, where he has been performing consistently,” O'Donnell said.

“It’s a big step to go from VFL to AFL, but we’re pretty sure that he can fill the void and also to relieve Paddy. It would be unreasonable to leave Paddy playing full games – like last week – for too long."
Link

Good mobility and sidestep.

Only question what positions suits?

He can't play as ruck - too short and has no idea. Not enough strength for key back - he might develop some though.

Doubtful as a forward. No history of him doing anything there.

Kicking is a bit suspect.

Worth persevering with for another 2 years.

Good mobility and sidestep.

Only question what positions suits?

He can't play as ruck - too short and has no idea. Not enough strength for key back - he might develop some though.

Doubtful as a forward. No history of him doing anything there.

Kicking is a bit suspect.

Worth persevering with for another 2 years.

Good to see that you can see the positives in a player. :rolleyes:

He should be played as a key back. Has good speed and agility for a KPP and being he is in the upper 190's height wise would give us a player with a bit of reach for those taller forwards (Hurley, Daniher and Pears all hovering around the 191/192 mark or so). Came to us gangly and very light (I think he had had glandular fever or something and lost a fair bit of weight before the draft if memory serves) and has bulked up this preseason, another year or two and he should be quite strong.

Oh, and he did some nice things in that game (especially as it was his 3rd or 4th AFL game ever). If Daniher wasn't injured I'd suggest throwing him forward and having Hooker replace him in the backline while Lucas has no form.

I'd like to see him play forward. With Daniher, Hurley and Pears, i'm not sure we need him down back, and last year watching a few Bendigo games, he just looked a natural forward, he looked like he knew what he was doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back