Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 26. Cale Hooker

Good mobility and sidestep.

Only question what positions suits?

He can't play as ruck - too short and has no idea. Not enough strength for key back - he might develop some though.

Doubtful as a forward. No history of him doing anything there.

Kicking is a bit suspect.

Worth persevering with for another 2 years.

Well he will not play ruck every week. It was more horses for courses last week where he and Brennan had 4 ineffective hitouts each.

He will end up in KP defence or forward.
He has come a long way since last year and is so far looking ok for a speculative pick at the back end of an average draft.

Every week this year he has kept improving.
Starting to look like a seriously good pick in the fourth round of a not overly strong draft.

couldn't agree more. I first really started paying attention when I saw Bendigo play @ Box Hill - in the game before Gumby broke his collar-bone - and he really impressed me that day. Had a real presence.

For a speculative pick, his improvement has been nothing short of sensational

Drawing a long bow here,

but anyone reminded of a young fletcher with hookers long arms and gait?

Feels like he isnt quite used to his body just yet, but getting there.

Fantastic game tonight against Riewodlt

Needs to wear a looser guernsey. It's kind of got that skin-tight Collingwood look to it. Loving his work though.

Drawing a long bow here,

but anyone reminded of a young fletcher with hookers long arms and gait?

Yep, I agree with you! That's what I was thinking after the game against Hawthorn and made a post about it....somewhere...:confused:
His size and frame reminded me of Fletcher and he looks agile. Looked like he could be able to play on tall or short fowards.
Highly doubt he will get anywhere near as good as Fletch though ;)

Many positives out of Sundays game but for me, he was the biggest.

Incredible effort to break even or win the amount of contests that he did against probably the best CHF in the league.

Showed excellent athletic ability on many occasions, backed himself and exposed Reiwoldt going forward on many occasions and was unlucky not to make a fool out of him when he hit the post.

Rarely gave him huge latitude that Roo always seems to have and when he did get it, he was absolutely buggered.

Super impressive. Still a long way to go in terms of his balance & disposal skills. As a young guy though i've been super impressed with his tank during a game and I think with another couple of pre-seasons under his belt, alot of those kicks that helicopter or scrub with be far more precise (Almost looks like he's running too fast to execute at times).

Performance made even better given that most football people would suggest that he would be due for a let down after a very good game on Franklin the week before.

Super impressive.

Not afraid to take on the game and has a strong competitve nature about his game. Can't see him playing ruck though, KP defender seems ideal for him. :thumbsu:

I just love this bloke ( no, not gay). Since he has started filling in ruck duties, every week he begins to play like a ruck. Combine that with what he has already achieved down back this year and we have ourselves a player. Pick 54. (and i wrote him off) Very impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

128743725718248265.jpg

seriously, this guy is da shiz

Very impressed. I can't beleive how much he has improved on last year. Love that he has started taking a few marks and is winning his own ball at ground level and breaking tackles, last year it seemed he could run but not much else.

With my SC in tatters (5 players out this week - all from my main side) I need to make trades, so why did Hooker get dropped? Was this just because he wasn't needed against Bulldogs? Is he likely to come back in any time soon?

From here:

Cale's had a great year really when you think where he has come from. His best position is defence and he has done some good jobs on big name opponents but he has had to support Paddy in the ruck and that has been asking a lot of him. We just think the time is right to put him back into the VFL and get a bit of confidence back into him.

Basically he has been thrown around quite a bit and for a KPP in his first proper playing season it probably hasn't been great for his development, so they will give him time in his prefered spot at an easier level. As for when he will come back maybe someone else can answer that, I guess it will depend on needs and team balance.

Has had a brilliant season (relatively speaking).

In his second year on an AFL list (being picked late in a draft with an eye to the future) he has stood against Lance Franklin and Nick Riewolt. He broke even with both of them (Lance did kick a few but it was not due to contested marking or beating Cale one on one).

Hooker was then been asked to play as a relief ruckman culminating in assuming the ruck duties in a final (probably beating Maric and Sellar around the grounds). While his ruck work was not good enough to suggest that he would be a serious ruck prospect he showed an aggression around the ground, good mobility which showed how effective he could be around the ground.

Cale has taken his opportunity in making the most of the mountainous
challanges presented to him and deserves a spot in our best 22. He has the size and speed to go with the best key forwards in the game. While his kicking isn't brilliant it is solid and he does seem to make the right decision more often than not. Queries over his strength are a little unfair given his performance against Franklin and Riewoldt and the fact that he is only a second year player.

Hopefully he is groomed as the full back for the next ten years. He seems to be more limited as a rebounding defender than the other options that we have in our side so he strikes me as the one to take the largest and most dangerous opposition key foward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back