Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm suggesting he got absolutely towelled up by Jenkins and had to be shifted. Hartley then did a good job in defence and was dropped to the 2nds (while Hooker continued to stink it up and play like absolute s**t) and then walked out of the club for more opportunitues.

Hey? Week after Crows he won us the game off his boot against the Suns. Then the final 3 weeks after that our mid and forwards were so poor no defence would have stood up against Port, Dogs and Eagles.

He wins games by himself (haha) and only loses when his team mates let him down. What a guy. They'd make him captain aside from the fact he'd only abdicate to give someone else a go.
He wasnā€™t shithouse against Suns and do you blame him for last 3 games? Was he any worse than the rest? Defence was overrun because of lack of forward and midfield pressure.

Again would his replacement have been any better?

So Hooker didn't get toweled up?
Yeah, it's just not possible when you think about it. If anything he probably let Jenkins kick all those goals on him because he knew they'd shift him forward, giving someone else a turn as is his habit. It also provided him a sighter so that he could single handedly beat the mighty Gold Coast Suns the following week.

Just a natural born leader and all round good bloke who dons the sash, literally.

Yeah, it's just not possible when you think about it. If anything he probably let Jenkins kick all those goals on him because he knew they'd shift him forward, giving someone else a turn as is his habit. It also provided him a sighter so that he could single handedly beat the mighty Gold Coast Suns the following week.

Just a natural born leader and all round good bloke who dons the sash, literally.
I'm just wondering how Jenkins toweled him up when Hooker wasn't on him for 1 goal and another was a butter fingers moment from Hooker (surely you'd agree Hooker doesn't drop sitters regularly) that Jenkins capitalised on.

I mean 2 goals is toweling someone up?

You are cooked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just wondering how Jenkins toweled him up when Hooker wasn't on him for 1 goal and another was a butter fingers moment from Hooker (surely you'd agree Hooker doesn't drop sitters regularly) that Jenkins capitalised on.

I mean 2 goals is toweling someone up?
Yeah, i got it wrong. Bit cooked ATM. When you apply the standard 2 goal a half discount and recognise that the other 2 goals were the fault of the midfield, it makes you wonder why they even shifted him. Probably a call he made himself, as a leader.

Was good early in 2019 and then very ordinary towards the back end of the year when he was clearly hampered by injury.

The question is whether the decline was injury related or age related. Possibly it was both. Right now, nobody here knows.

Questioning Hookers character is crazy, questioning how he might go this year is valid.

10 weeks post surgery, not in main training yet.

ā€œCale had a hip arthroscopy. Heā€™s running freely at the moment 10 weeks post-surgery. Heā€™s got a little bit of work to do before he integrates back into the group, but heā€™s doing extremely well.

Itā€™s super important we have Hooker right for round 1 - and I really hope it was injury not age holding him back in the second half of 2019. Praying he can play forward as a contested marking beast and kick some goals - the move down back when Joe is right to go. I do emphasise praying

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Itā€™s super important we have Hooker right for round 1 - and I really hope it was injury not age holding him back in the second half of 2019. Praying he can play forward as a contested marking beast and kick some goals - the move down back when Joe is right to go. I do emphasise praying

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say hes about 33/1 to play round 1 - Isn't even with the main training group yet so will be a long way behind.Besides - he's too important to risk given his versatility and ability to play as a key forward

I'd say hes about 33/1 to play round 1 - Isn't even with the main training group yet so will be a long way behind.Besides - he's too important to risk given his versatility and ability to play as a key forward
He wasnā€™t in main training last year either, having a hamstring injury until the preseason games started and then doing his calf which ruled him out of the rest of preseason. Heā€™d barely finished recovery when he was selected in round 3.

Weeks in preseason main training is not a prerequisite for an experienced player like that - even without doing preseason heā€™s still going to be a better bet for the selection committee than most of the other guys.

He wasnā€™t in main training last year either, having a hamstring injury until the preseason games started and then doing his calf which ruled him out of the rest of preseason. Heā€™d barely finished recovery when he was selected in round 3.

Weeks in preseason main training is not a prerequisite for an experienced player like that - even without doing preseason heā€™s still going to be a better bet for the selection committee than most of the other guys.

I hear where you are coming from but I just remember the last 6 or so games in 2019 where he really dropped off - and the selection committee will be mindful of this. As an experienced player yes he does have credits in the bank - but we have so many options down back now we won't be rushing him back to a key defensive role you wouldn't think - it will only be because of our lack of key forward options that he plays round 1 and he'd play up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back