Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown, Hurley, Francis with Ridley back
JD, Smack and Stringer forward
Nah. Brown was moved forward for a reason, we don't need him to play defence. In any case Hartley and Ambrose are better at locking down an opponent.

Hmmm....hammy & calf strike within a month of each other. Doesnā€™t bode well for the season proper if heā€™s getting them without having hit top gear yet.

Ambrose, Hartley get a chance I guess....doesnā€™t fill me with much confidence.

He balanced the side out last year when went back. His direction to others is irreplaceable.
Hope Hartley and Ambrose are fired up to see who takes his place
Let's also point out that when he went into defence the opposition I50 count dropped 5 points on average.

Hmmm....hammy & calf strike within a month of each other. Doesnā€™t bode well for the season proper if heā€™s getting them without having hit top gear yet.

Ambrose, Hartley get a chance I guess....doesnā€™t fill me with much confidence.

Likely he was pushing hard to make up for lost training, so a bit of bad luck / age / pushing too hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you implying he didnā€™t make much difference?
I'm implying that it wasn't solely him that made the difference. The increased pressure from the midfield helped. I mean look at 2017 by comparison, Hartley did his job most of the time in a similar role when the midfield pressure was strong, but in 2018 when there is less pressure coming from the middle in the 4 games he played and he struggles a bit more? A little bit of a trend there.

Nah. Brown was moved forward for a reason, we don't need him to play defence. In any case Hartley and Ambrose are better at locking down an opponent.
We don't need him with a full list to pick from. But Hooker out along with Gleeson and Redman not yet ready leaves us thin. We have a full compliment of forwards and Brown might be playing VFL come round 1, despite good form.
Brown back is far from out of the question, though I think Harts/ambrose will be given first crack back there. Harts playing fills me with fear.

We don't need him with a full list to pick from. But Hooker out along with Gleeson and Redman not yet ready leaves us thin. We have a full compliment of forwards and Brown might be playing VFL come round 1, despite good form.
Brown back is far from out of the question, though I think Harts/ambrose will be given first crack back there. Harts playing fills me with fear.
We have a couple of handy intercept players in Francis and Ridley. Harts has taken players like Hawkins, Bruce and Dixon to town yet he "fills you with fear"? FFS it wasn't 6 months ago that most of the board were bewildered that he wasn't a trade target for teams that needed a key defender.

We have a couple of handy intercept players in Francis and Ridley. Harts has taken players like Hawkins, Bruce and Dixon to town yet he "fills you with fear"? FFS it wasn't 6 months ago that most of the board were bewildered that he wasn't a trade target for teams that needed a key defender.
Yes he fills me with fear because despite playing some good games, he's played plenty more poor games. Picking out a few good games doesn't erase the poor.

I'm implying that it wasn't solely him that made the difference. The increased pressure from the midfield helped. I mean look at 2017 by comparison, Hartley did his job most of the time in a similar role when the midfield pressure was strong, but in 2018 when there is less pressure coming from the middle in the 4 games he played and he struggles a bit more? A little bit of a trend there.

Yeah midfield pressure is important. Hookerā€™s marking is immense. Whole backline looks less panicky with him there. Even Hurley acknowledged that. Was immense in that game against the Cats on Hawkins.

Reckon his value goes up even more this year with 6-6-6. Big loss

Yes he fills me with fear because despite playing some good games, he's played plenty more poor games. Picking out a few good games doesn't erase the poor.
He really hasn't, because if that were the case there'd be no way he'd be on an AFL list.

Yeah midfield pressure is important. Hookerā€™s marking is immense. Whole backline looks less panicky with him there. Even Hurley acknowledged that. Was immense in that game against the Cats on Hawkins.

Reckon his value goes up even more this year with 6-6-6. Big loss
Oh don't get me wrong, he's our best key defender, I just think everyone is overreacting. Hartley and Ambrose are competent AFL key defenders and people are acting as if they're Austin Lucy.

Oh don't get me wrong, he's our best key defender, I just think everyone is overreacting. Hartley and Ambrose are competent AFL key defenders and people are acting as if they're Austin Lucy.
There are fans who rate Harts differently to Harts' no1 fanboi.
Mind blowing.

Hurley, Francis, Ambrose the talls in defence.

Daniher, McKernan, Stringer the 'talls' in the forwardline.

More than comfortable with that.

There are fans who rate Harts differently to Harts' no1 fanboi.
Mind blowing.
People go from "How the hell did no other club chase him?" to "OH GOD HE CANNOT PLAY!" In a matter of 6 months and 1 JLT game

People go from "How the hell did no other club chase him?" to "OH GOD HE CANNOT PLAY!" In a matter of 6 months and 1 JLT game
Or... did I go from "happy for him to explore his options as he is nothing more than depth" to "would still prefer others in the team before him" lol.
Probs time to let it go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back