Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

sfdsf.jpg

Contract Status: Retiring at the end of Season 2021
Last Game Played: Round 19, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

Yeah I far prefer him back but he has to play forward unfortunately. Need a set of hands.

I almost think if he doesn't play forward we lose. We need the target, and Clarke sure as hell wont provide that.

If we go Draper for Clarke and play Tommy forward that may work though.

Bellchambers isn’t anywhere near the marking target that Hooker is. He’s really the only option we have.

Yeah I was more comparing it to the alternative of bringing in Brown for Smack which i believe loses us the game if we go that way. We would lack a target and would get rebounded against heavily.
Interesting selection to be honest, not necessarily from a form point of view but a structure.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I almost think if he doesn't play forward we lose. We need the target, and Clarke sure as hell wont provide that.

If we go Draper for Clarke and play Tommy forward that may work though.
I like this set up if Hooker plays back. Make TBell lead out of deep ff all night and attract attention away from Stringer and the mosquito fleet.

I like this set up if Hooker plays back. Make TBell lead out of deep ff all night and attract attention away from Stringer and the mosquito fleet.

TBell is a poor forward,yes as resting forward he’s good for odd mark but as permanent he’d cost us more the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
TBell is a poor forward,yes as resting forward he’s good for odd mark but as permanent he’d cost us more the other way.
...if Hooker plays back. I'm thinking it will only be for one game then JD returns. I'd prefer Hooker than TBell, of course, but at least TBell has the size and aggression and a decent pair of dukes to hurt a pack and take a mark. Not a bad kick for goal either. I take your point on his defensive ability though. Free kicks would be for high tackles if he actually laid any.

...if Hooker plays back. I'm thinking it will only be for one game then JD returns. I'd prefer Hooker than TBell, of course, but at least TBell has the size and aggression and a decent pair of dukes to hurt a pack and take a mark. Not a bad kick for goal either. I take your point on his defensive ability though. Free kicks would be for high tackles if he actually laid any.

Andrews would have a field day. Think a more mobile Brown would be better along with Stringer.

Daniher, McKernan, Laverde and Stewart all injured...pfft and Tigers think they have it tough with injuries!

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Andrews would have a field day. Think a more mobile Brown would be better along with Stringer.

Daniher, McKernan, Laverde and Stewart all injured...pfft and Tigers think they have it tough with injuries!
Riewoldt, Rance & Cotchin are FAR more significant injuries, forgetting Houli, Grigg and Short with Martin suspended. To think our issues are even close to that is either sarcasm I've clearly missed or hugely overrating McKernan, Laverde and Stewart.

Riewoldt, Rance & Cotchin are FAR more significant injuries, forgetting Houli, Grigg and Short with Martin suspended. To think our issues are even close to that is either sarcasm I've clearly missed or hugely overrating McKernan, Laverde and Stewart.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Forget his vice grip, or his positioning...

I was in the pocket on the fence city end, first time all year I have heard a players voice over the crowd directing his troops.

He is the general down there, he improved Hurleys game, Ridley's game just by being there.

I had heart in mouth at first bounce when I saw him on McCarthy but I neednt have worried, it just gave him more 'general' time to push the troops round the board.

Great in. Huge.

Forget his vice grip, or his positioning...

I was in the pocket on the fence city end, first time all year I have heard a players voice over the crowd directing his troops.

He is the general down there, he improved Hurleys game, Ridley's game just by being there.

I had heart in mouth at first bounce when I saw him on McCarthy but I neednt have worried, it just gave him more 'general' time to push the troops round the board.

Great in. Huge.
This post makes me so happy.

Jacques_

Senior List
Jun 22, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy is so underrated, absolute gun. His hands are unbelievable & his kicking is no where near as bad as it once was.

Hooker does his best work down back when the midfield applies pressure like they did today. Keep the kicks coming in hurried and high instead of being laser pointed onto the **** of opposition forwards and Hooksy will keep clunking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back