Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Crawford was almost not a champion, then he became a champion in his last game I guess.

Hooker certainly didn't start out as champion quality but the sum of his playing ability, heart, passion and leadership over the back 2 thirds of his career should see him remembered as a champion of the club.
So we're comparing Hooker to Brownlow medallists and still not grasping my point?

There's 25 "Champions of Essendon", and I reckon they all had pretty decent honours to back it up.

Words have meaning. Its like when people say "premiers and champions" when all they really mean is "premiers".

Doug Hawkins.

No brownlow, no premiership. Bloke barely passes as average, couldn't ever be described as a Bulldogs champion.
Scott West too. What a spud he was.

So we're comparing Hooker to Brownlow medallists and still not grasping my point?

There's 25 "Champions of Essendon", and I reckon they all had pretty decent honours to back it up.

Words have meaning. Its like when people say "premiers and champions" when all they really mean is "premiers".
I get your point but I disagree wholeheartedly.

That never happened.

Was thrown up in a trade for Josh Caddy. They said no. We were hellbent on trading him for two second round picks in 2012 to West Coast, but he simply refused to answer the door when Dodoro and Bomber came over. Thank **** he never answered that door :hearteyes:
Hooker and Shiel were definitely linked back in 2010. Hawkes were heavily into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they should erect a statue of Hooker. I guess you could put it 5-10 metres behind one of Franklin.

Thereā€™s a white flag emoji Iā€™m pretty sure

His last quarter is the epitome of leadership.

Scrap leadership group and just have Hooker as VC to Heppell. Leadership group looks like more of a popularity contest atm.

Youā€™d think so, wouldnā€™t you

Apparently Wooshaā€™s whole approach is ā€œplayer empowermentā€. He kind of guides them and prods them along but leaves it very much up to the players to drive things.

No doubt thatā€™s got a lot to do with our shocking inconsistency. Our players just donā€™t get it.

Iā€™d say itā€™s also why Hooker and Hurley were removed from the leadership group. Worsfold knows theyā€™re going to go out and lead anyway so he uses the official ā€œleadershipā€ positions for other guys he wants to empower and bring out of their shells.

Right approach? Who knows.

Youā€™d think so, wouldnā€™t you

Apparently Wooshaā€™s whole approach is ā€œplayer empowermentā€. He kind of guides them and prods them along but leaves it very much up to the players to drive things.

No doubt thatā€™s got a lot to do with our shocking inconsistency. Our players just donā€™t get it.

Iā€™d say itā€™s also why Hooker and Hurley were removed from the leadership group. Worsfold knows theyā€™re going to go out and lead anyway so he uses the official ā€œleadershipā€ positions for other guys he wants to empower and bring out of their shells.

Right approach? Who knows.
If that's true, it's definitely not the right approach. Titles don't make a person into a leader if they don't have the ability to reach others with their message, and it makes a mockery of the system that bestows those titles in the first place. If Hooker and Hurley are the true leaders of the team, they should be in the leadership group. If they aren't, they shouldn't be the ones doing the "leading" on the field - there should be other players standing up.

Dave, Joe & Raz not being there probably forces them to stand up though

What?

Lol.

Hooker - " I need to make sure I don't get stuck on elite hall of fake freak athletes"

Yeah, it was the moment he thought, "ah *, I'm going to have to try hard at this AFL caper" :rolleyes:

Hooker is deffinatly a champ in my opinion.

Poor guy is a victim of basicly years of team/club mediocrity and i shudder to think of just how we would of fared with out him. He's never given up and stuck by us in the darkest times, even when directly poached.

This guy is a dead set champ. He puts his body on the line always without fear, he leads by example, fantastic kick and handball, strong as all *. He controls the ground from wherever he plays . Comparing hille to his level as a player is an insult. Most under appreciated player ever. One of my favourite ever players and one of the most loyal and down to earth blokes a club could ask for. Legend

Watching the replay, he got to the point in the last quarter where his back was so sore he just stopped playing while there was a contest 3 metres away. Canā€™t see him getting up this week.

Well that's not good. Without Cale and Hurley, no chance of competing against giants. Nobody we have in waiting is great at playing on talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back