Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

So how does one judge this outcome...

Was this (in hindsight) an error on the recruiters part or did Nielson not get the best out of himself in his time at the club?
With all things I think it's safer to say Joyce > Player. Must have been Nielson's fault for not getting the best out of himself.

Not as quick, not as natural footballer, way worse defender. I’d argue about him being a better mark too, Durdin has concrete hands for the most part unless he is marking on his chest
Err what? Durdin is a far better natural footballer than Nielson. I mean, it's not even close. Nielson has ok defensive instincts but offers literally 0 in a footballing sense.

It's just that Durdin's intensity, or lack thereof, lets him down. He's an excellent kick for his size and reads the game well, he just doesn't have the mentality required attitude atm to play AFL footy consistently well. He's also a far better mark, albeit a large part of that may be his size in comparison to Nielson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty pissed off about this.

But I need to move on, it's done.

Players come and players go. I hope for his sake he gets another chance even though will annoy me if he is another Josh Gibson. Regardless of my annoyance, good luck Dan. I will never forget the major cringe dancing you did and I hope you get some revenge on that flog Hooker.

Can see this coming back to bite us in the arse. He was great last season and stiff not to be given a run this season. Can defs see him succeeding at another club. disappointed as wouldve preferred him over thompson or durdin.

Can see this coming back to bite us in the arse. He was great last season and stiff not to be given a run this season. Can defs see him succeeding at another club. disappointed as wouldve preferred him over thompson or durdin.

Whilst I think he was stiff to not get some senior games this year, and agree that he's a chance to play at senior level for another club, it won't bite us. He's pretty limited.

Good luck to him anyway.

Four years later and the 2014 draft thus far hasn’t produced much quality.
It’s average.
Durdin was rated highly at the time so taking him with 16 seemed the logical choice.
We then took Nielson nine picks later but outside of Toby McLean who does not suit our club at all and Touk Miller who I rate - it’s pretty thin.
The only other players of note are Mitch McGovern and Ed Langdon. But they aren’t Joel Selwood/Rory Sloane type oversights.

EVW looks a real steal at 36. Extremely happy with that.
And for all the negativity surrounding our first two picks we ended up pinching the pick 7 that year in Pauly anyway.
We tried with Dan and it didn’t work. Club IMO is def not losing sleep over this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back