Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth remembering that before he tore his ACL he was the first of our draftees that season so be selected, albeit in the NAB Challenge. I remember many reports at the time saying that he was seriously impressing with his good body work and natural defensive nous. The injury set him back a long way but I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting games next season.

I diagree, team structure and players practicing in their correct roles would still play a part.

You wouldn't want 4 key defenders all clogging the same backline denying you practicing ball movement as a team just because you can.

B-Rad likes this as a plan!

It's worth remembering that before he tore his ACL he was the first of our draftees that season so be selected, albeit in the NAB Challenge. I remember many reports at the time saying that he was seriously impressing with his good body work and natural defensive nous. The injury set him back a long way but I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting games next season.

So he tore his ACL pre-season 2015?

Unfortunately i just can't see a future for this kid. Is a shocking kick and is also relatively slow too. glad to be proved wrong, but he's done next to nothing in the vfl this year so much so that it has culminated in him playing a fair bit of development league. I remember questioning this pick on draft night two years ago and he was also considered a massive reach at pick 25 when the projection was late third round.

Unfortunately i just can't see a future for this kid. Is a shocking kick and is also relatively slow too. glad to be proved wrong, but he's done next to nothing in the vfl this year so much so that it has culminated in him playing a fair bit of development league. I remember questioning this pick on draft night two years ago and he was also considered a massive reach at pick 25 when the projection was late third round.

KR I think similar and as I can't question youth selection at draft level as I don't watch any underage he does seem extremely unlikely from what I'm hearing anyway.

Hope he proves us wrong.

Still looks very raw. Has very limited attacking noise on the field and is very one dimensional. His kicking on the weekend was abysmal. His defending however was quite solid.

Looks to be too small to play as a genuine key position player though.

I reckon he'll be a big part of our future. Every defender around him has a attacking side to their game. I see Neilson as the stay at home stingy defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is the clubs recruiting in the last 4 years has been downright deplorable.

Dont even get me started on how poor the clubs been in development either.

Yet here we are about to hit finals again. Imagine if they got it right

Last edited:
Give the kid a chance to get some continuity in his footy before making a judgment. A few months ago heaps of people were saying EVW was no good and a wasted pick. Now everyone wants him in the 1s. Hopefully Nielson can get a full preseason in and we'll know how he's really shaping up by mid-late next year.

I'm all for giving him more time, but he'd want to iron out his kicking and add a more offensive element to his game if he is to progress.

By far the biggest downside to him is that he is too small to be a key defender. It says on the website that he is 194 but Joel Tippett genuinely looks 8-10cm bigger than him and he is only 197cm

Some of the posts here on this kid are deplorable, ridiculous and just plain moronic. He's a young kid, key position player who is coming back from a 12 month ACL. Before he did his knee I'd seen the kid at training and in the NAB. He looked like a gun. One particular training session I saw he was glued to Petrie and all over him. He was fast, ferocious, and just the kind of desperate, dogged defender that we need. With another pre-season behind him I see a big future for this kid. Still excited about what the future holds for him and what he can offer the club.

In regards to his kicking well let's face it, it's clear that the North Melbourne coaches have failed in this regard with the vast majority of our list. We have so few players who can hit a target this year, it's been downright embarrassing and shameful to think so many of our players can't administer the basic skills. This is why we can't beat the top sides at the moment.

The coaches (or perhaps the recruiters) need to take the blame for kids like Nielson being poor kicks.
It seems to me that the last 4 or 5 pre-seasons have been all about fitness, endurance and contested ball. The coming pre-season we need to have our entire playing list dedicated to kicking and handballing, under pressure and without pressure, both sides of the body, skills skills skills. Obviously don't neglect fitness, tackling and game plans but teams that can't hit targets in this day and age don't win football games.

I just cant believe we pick a KPD that cant kick - what the * were we thinking?

There is no place for a simon prestigiacomo is todays football.

Our recruiters need firing ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back