AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Out for extended period with stress fracture in foot - 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Keen to see him play. What importance is signified that the deliberation took a couple of months? Seems a long time to decide but probably points to the complexity of his medical situation vs. a survey of other available player options.

Drafted with an ACL or something, don't think we know exactly when he got injured though but it'd be 12 months after that at the earliest.
It was june last year wasnt it?

Might see him late this year once the season is well and truly cooked (round 21-23ish) if he is fit and had some games under his belt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something extraordinary would need to happen for our VFL team to make finals this year. We seemed to have dropped the ball on list management for the VFL guys.
Not sure about dropping the ball. They have gone young and the injuries to the AFL listed players have hurt.

Not sure about dropping the ball. They have gone young and the injuries to the AFL listed players have hurt.
They started putting their list together later than the other teams and only had a few guys signed by feb. I expect they took a wait and see approach with COVID - but the net result will be an inexperienced/lighter framed unit. I’ve only gotten to the one practice match, but hopefully we’ve added a few bigger bodies since then.

They started putting their list together later than the other teams and only had a few guys signed by feb. I expect they took a wait and see approach with COVID - but the net result will be an inexperienced/lighter framed unit. I’ve only gotten to the one practice match, but hopefully we’ve added a few bigger bodies since then.
Incorrect.

I stand corrected.
We, rightly or wrongly, chose to go with youth instead of chasing the flag. We still have several experienced big bodies but they're in their early 20's rather than mid to late 20's.

Something extraordinary would need to happen for our VFL team to make finals this year. We seemed to have dropped the ball on list management for the VFL guys.
as Ant said hard to field a good VFL team when you have 10(by my count) players who are either currently injured or have been injured over the last month(or longer) who would all have legitimate claims on a senior spot, be that claim as a 1st up starter or as a 1st choice backup. That takes a lot of talent out of the pool for the VFL team, not even the Tigers could cover that level of loss at their VFL level.

We did not need to be chasing flags in the VFL. A few players that had signed have not played all the practice matches.

as Ant said hard to field a good VFL team when you have 10(by my count) players who are either currently injured or have been injured over the last month(or longer) who would all have legitimate claims on a senior spot, be that claim as a 1st up starter or as a 1st choice backup. That takes a lot of talent out of the pool for the VFL team, not even the Tigers could cover that level of loss at their VFL level.
That's pretty much what they did for the first half of 2019, where they won the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back