Yabby Medal votes: 19 (seventh)

Averages

Kicks: 13.1 per game
Handballs: 10.1 per game
Disposals: 23.2 per game
Marks: 3.4 per game
Tackles: 6.6 per game

Milestones

Played 200th AFL game (round 18, 2019 versus Geelong Cats)
Ranked 13th in the AFL for total tackles
Ranked 12th in the AFL for clangers per game
Ranked 7th in the AFL for tackles per game

Standout

Round 18, 2019 (versus Geelong Cats): In his 200th AFL game for Hawthorn, Shiels was imperious in midfield. He collected 29 disposals, laid eight tackles and kicked two goals as he led from the front against the much-vaunted Geelong midfield. His attack on the ball was ferocious and he galvanised his teammates to turn the screws on the Cats, resulting in a comfortable Hawthorn victory, against the odds.

Shocker

Round 2, 2019 (versus Western Bulldogs): Shiels suffered an injury in the course of the game that arguably helped to cost Hawthorn the victory. With only eight disposals to his name at the time of his injury, there's no doubt that Hawthorn missed his presence on the ground as the Bulldogs overran the Hawks in the second half.

26 - Liam Shiels (2018)

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been doing the same thing for years now. One of the teams biggest workhorses, but has some brilliance in him as well.

Bump

After a poor 2020, I don't think Shiels has set the world on fire so far in 2021.

His heat map from last week had him playing on the wing. 17 disposals at 53% DE.

Attended only 6 centre bounces (out of 33 i think)

Are we getting enough for Shiels? Is it time for a rest and can we run Maginness through there instead, or even Downie if he is going to play wing.

Or am I being to harsh on a warrior like Pup?

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Leads the tackle count almost every week. Hard to drop him until the likes of Morrison, Worpel, Phillips, Howe or Cousins develop the same habit.

Surely must be closing in on the all-time tackle record?

Edit: ranks 13th of all-time. 2nd all-time highest career average (behind Matt Priddis). For those playing at home, Shaun Burgoyne ranks 8th for all-time tackles, Joel Selwood needs only 3 more tackles to claim top spot.

Last edited:

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would assume it’s very deliberate that he is attending less center bounces and worpel/ Finn are getting tagging jobs not him.

Liam is one of the most chronically underrated players - he got better after the 3-peat, now cleaner by foot and can kick a goal. He is hard as nails, uncompromising and a leader.

No doubt he is getting less of the ball and is less involved generally because we are changing the midfield mix. But still think he plays a critical role in a young side.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would assume it’s very deliberate that he is attending less center bounces and worpel/ Finn are getting tagging jobs not him.

Liam is one of the most chronically underrated players - he got better after the 3-peat, now cleaner by foot and can kick a goal. He is hard as nails, uncompromising and a leader.

No doubt he is getting less of the ball and is less involved generally because we are changing the midfield mix. But still think he plays a critical role in a young side.
Hasn't kicked a goal all season

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Though I've been a big fan of him for a long time I think we've seen the peak of this and are on the way down again. Had two shots on the weekend from a location that in 2019 he would have slotted no problem, but these two faded pretty terribly and burned players who were very free in-front of him/beside him.
I think Shiels will go down as being a very underrated player, but I hope he goes out before we see the sharp decline like we did in players like Poppy or Stratton.
As HF pointed out above though we need someone to up their tackle/pressure game for him to lose his spot. Hopefully Worpel and Maginness can up this aspect of their game.

SammyC

Team Captain
May 20, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree he doesnt look to be performing to the same level this year, but think this is more a result of a slight change to role and focus. We needed to break up the midfield mix to inject some more dynamic types and not be dependent on him as a defensive mid.

His numbers will drop off but I reckon he will still find a way to contribute. At times we have been a little soft this year, it happens with young teams, but this is one bloke that goes every time. No goals but was more making the point that I think people miss the fact his decision making and impact with the footy has improved markedly since the 3-peat years.

Back