Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

How good is this guy going to be? Had an outstanding year but I reckon in the past month he's stepped it up again.

He has such brilliant inside game now. The way he willingly uses his body as a battering ram while contorting himself into ridiculous positions to dish the ball out is a sight to behold.

He also tackles like a machine, marks the ball like he's 6 foot 5 and uses the ball brilliantly.

I won't be too disappointed if we lose Mitchell, as long as the cap space goes toward signing this guy up for as long as we possibly can.

He isn't as good as Swallow, Bennell, Gaff, Polec, Conca, Caddy, Heppell, Prestia, Smith, Smedts, Atley, Pitt and Wallis. A lot of teams had other needs more important than a midfielder, so he dropped further. Guys like Hallahan are very similar to Parker so it was probably just an individual preference when taking those players over him. Definitely in the top 20 midfielders in the draft though

I understand you were talking about Parker as a player at the time of being drafted rather than what he could be, but still, I enjoy this post.

I understand you were talking about Parker as a player at the time of being drafted rather than what he could be, but still, I enjoy this post.
I was actually about to bump one of my old posts where we were talking about who on our list could become stars. I said that Luke Parker would be a very good player but did he have that standout attribute that would elevate him to the elite tier? I was wrong - yes he has.

If you listen to 3AW it sounds like he wont make the cut in the AA (they claim to have seen the leaked team)

Would be a joke if true

Doubt there would be an leaked team already.

If Parker didn't make the team I would be pretty speechless in all honesty, wouldn't surprise me if he won our best and fairest.

If Parker didn't make the team I would be pretty speechless in all honesty, wouldn't surprise me if he won our best and fairest.

Yeh Parker must have gained a lot of ground on Kennedy over the last 3 weeks. Kennedy would have been way in front when he got hurt but after missing essentially 3 games (St Kilda, Bulldogs, Richmond) in which Parker was in the best 2 or 3 on ground in each, Parker has to be close. Throw in a BOG performance on Saturday with a decent game from Kennedy, he'd be gaining quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if Kennedy still was winning because of how incredible his season had been to the point of injury though.

I reckon the top 10 might look like this at the moment (with missed games taken into account):

1. Luke Parker
2. Josh Kennedy
3. Lance Franklin
4. Nick Malceski
5. Nick Smith
6. Ben McGlynn
7. Ted Richards
8. Dan Hannebery
9. Jarrad McVeigh
10. Dane Rampe

He's had that good a year I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in the Brownlow.

Good laughs all round, but I enjoyed this one a lot more.

Reminds me of Gary Rohan mixed with Josh Willoughby.

He's had that good a year I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in the Brownlow.

Given I'm accompanying him he would be doing well indeed.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally getting the attention he deserves in the media, he was compared to Lenny Hayes by one pundit last week (could have been Robbo who has a mancrush on Parker)

Finally getting the attention he deserves in the media, he was compared to Lenny Hayes by one pundit last week (could have been Robbo who has a mancrush on Parker)

To me he is Joel selwood 2.0. Cannot think of anything this kid does not do well. He is as hard as nails, very good skills, exceptional mark and one of the most fierce players to play the game. He attacks the ball ( and who ever is unlucky enough at the time to be near it) with a level of ferociousness rarely seen in young players these days.

He could be sole captain next year and could easily win a brownlow next year aswell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back