Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Yes I get that and apologies if that post sounded like I was having a go at you because I didn't mean it that way, I just think you are a bit blinded to what Parker actually does because of your love for Hewitt.

Fair enough, though it's more the opposite. My love for what Hewett does was born from my frustration at what Parker does. If that makes sense

Personal gripe.
Don't like it when people strawman my opinions on Parker. See people say that there's posters saying his overrated or not that good.

I haven't seen such posts. What posts I think they are referring to is me and few others, who think he is better suited in the forward line.

If I think Buddy would be a better inside mid, it may be a terrible opinion, but it is not reflecting what I think of him as a forward. Same with Parker.
And I'm sure I'm not alone in think that losing Parker would be one of the biggest losses for the team. Absolutely a gun and great captain no matter where he plays. Just because I think he would be better in another position is not reason enough to say that I think he is no good.

Assuming these posts were made about that particular opinion. If there is some random poster dumping on Parker I apologise for the rant.

Personal gripe.
Don't like it when people strawman my opinions on Parker. See people say that there's posters saying his overrated or not that good.

I haven't seen such posts. What posts I think they are referring to is me and few others, who think he is better suited in the forward line.

If I think Buddy would be a better inside mid, it may be a terrible opinion, but it is not reflecting what I think of him as a forward. Same with Parker.
And I'm sure I'm not alone in think that losing Parker would be one of the biggest losses for the team. Absolutely a gun and great captain no matter where he plays. Just because I think he would be better in another position is not reason enough to say that I think he is no good.

Assuming these posts were made about that particular opinion. If there is some random poster dumping on Parker I apologise for the rant.
You are a good poster Kapers. Keep it up.

Personal gripe.

I was mostly referring to posts in and around our grand final years and such. Nothing to do with the Parker playing forward opinion.

In a rich vein of form right now. 2nd half of the year has been excellent and it wouldn't surprise me if he's well in contention with Mills and Hickey for the Skilton by now given the former's injury/isolation struggles of late and the latter's consistent but not quite AA form that we saw in the first 2 months of the year.

Suspect he'll be in the AA squad of 40 and could actually push for a bench spot too.

Not sure if other people have noticed it but I've been so impressed by his kicking this year. We've always known he's a strong inside midfielder with a great contested game. And while at times he still does just do a hack kick out of a contest, it feels like it's a lot less often to previous years, and is only done when he's under a lot of pressure and they just need a clearance. I didn't know he had the accuracy and ability to kick the way he did, but there has been many instances this year where he's just hit a team mate lace out with a bullet. Of course he's no Dawson or Buddy as a field kick, but I just think the way he's adapted to this new game style should be appreciated and applauded, and as a result he is now quite a damaging player within the team, as he provides the contested grunt but still fits our attacking gamestyle with quick ball movement.

However, as unpopular as this opinion may be, I dont think we should sign him to 4 years if possible. Of course a 4 year deal is better than losing him, but selfishly I think 3 years is a lot better for us as a club. Players that play similar to him have a habit of falling off a cliff (a la dan Hannebery and Kieren Jack, even JPK before his resurgent year this year, but thats another even more unpopular opinion for another thread). If we can sign him for three years, and then be able to make a more informed decision on how long he can keep going from there (e.g 1,2 or 3 years) that would be preferable. 4 years is not the end of the world, it just makes me a bit nervous because even if he's past it by then I don't think we'd have the guts to not offer him anything more than a one year deal then even if that was clearly the most suitable.

In saying that though you do need to repay the faith and respect your club champions, so it's definitely a tough one, but not worth souring the club's relationship with him to sign him for one less year if he is adamant on 4 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if other people have noticed it but I've been so impressed by his kicking this year. We've always known he's a strong inside midfielder with a great contested game. And while at times he still does just do a hack kick out of a contest, it feels like it's a lot less often to previous years, and is only done when he's under a lot of pressure and they just need a clearance. I didn't know he had the accuracy and ability to kick the way he did, but there has been many instances this year where he's just hit a team mate lace out with a bullet. Of course he's no Dawson or Buddy as a field kick, but I just think the way he's adapted to this new game style should be appreciated and applauded, and as a result he is now quite a damaging player within the team, as he provides the contested grunt but still fits our attacking gamestyle with quick ball movement.

However, as unpopular as this opinion may be, I dont think we should sign him to 4 years if possible. Of course a 4 year deal is better than losing him, but selfishly I think 3 years is a lot better for us as a club. Players that play similar to him have a habit of falling off a cliff (a la dan Hannebery and Kieren Jack, even JPK before his resurgent year this year, but thats another even more unpopular opinion for another thread). If we can sign him for three years, and then be able to make a more informed decision on how long he can keep going from there (e.g 1,2 or 3 years) that would be preferable. 4 years is not the end of the world, it just makes me a bit nervous because even if he's past it by then I don't think we'd have the guts to not offer him anything more than a one year deal then even if that was clearly the most suitable.

In saying that though you do need to repay the faith and respect your club champions, so it's definitely a tough one, but not worth souring the club's relationship with him to sign him for one less year if he is adamant on 4 years
I hope we can persuade him with 3 plus an achievable trigger for a 4th. Having said that he has proven very durable so I won't get silly if we give him 4.

Not sure how trustworthy, but according to this article we're only offering Parker 2 years at $500K. If so that's pretty insulting IMO. Maybe we can't hit the $700K but we can give him 4 years.
Surely not, 600k would be absolute minimum I would have thought.

500k would definitely be an insult... I call BS, no way you could look Parker in the eye when offering 500. No chance

I’m happy to be insulted by 500k

Caps evolving and pay cuts etc

Not sure 500k isn’t unreasonable for Parker
I might be able to help you become more sure....its unreasonable.

500k would definitely be an insult... I call BS, no way you could look Parker in the eye when offering 500. No chance
I smell an absolute rat with this article, seems a little odd the only mention of dollars happens when discussing Parker....hmmm

500k for Parker LOLL there is no way that's true if somehow it is then i hope he leaves.

Disgusting offer he could easily get 50-55% more on the open market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back