Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

I might be able to help you become more sure....its unreasonable.

its relative

he's peaked so why pay overs

depends what others are on

it puts him almost 200k above average

who wants to pay parker close to a million in 3-4 years, no thanks

its relative

The average salary in 2022 is supposed to be $371K

I don't think people really understand the ramifications of these huge (500k+) salaries on the cap.

The average salary in 2022 is supposed to be $371K

I don't think people really understand the ramifications of these huge (500k+) salaries on the cap.

Interesting value... cap is supposed to go up in 2022, average becomes 389k I think. I never know if the numbers thrown around include potential game bonus' or not - I presume not. I'd get all scientific... to the limit of my cap knowledge....

He wants 4 years, that long is a risk but I could accept that. 3 is fair I think...but i digress

For the first 2 years give him double the average less a draftees wage, including playing bonus (23x5) - that way between a new draftee (slow to develop KPD) and him it averages out. 389x2-105-115 = 558 per year. He gets average wage in year 3 = 389 and average less game bonus in year 4 - 389-115 = 274 per year. If his health fails at the back end of his career I wouldn't begrudge him average wage before game bonus', if he plays every game he gets average wage. That averages out at around 445k guaranteed per year before game bonus, with game bonus its possibly 560k. Is that fair? Would he accept that? Could we offer that?
The danger to all this is what does the next broadcast deal and salary cap look like. Maybe the cap drops, then we'd need to offer him percentages of cap per year to protect ourselves... so that's 14.7m divided by.... nah, fu€₩ that.

So, the conclusion is leave it to the gurus to sort it out. It'll get done.

Sorry i wasted your time.....

Parker's proven forward ability and leadership mean I have zero qualms with 4 years. He won't be at his best at 32 by any stretch but I have little doubt he could play forward pocket/half forward with bursts in the middle. Unless there's medical issues we're not aware of that lead the club to believe he won't see out more than 2 years I'm struggling to see why we wouldn't at least offer 3.

Swans board when player is out of contract

Pay him the $, give him the years

In a few years ohh where’s our cap , why’s this old guy on big money

Player X hasn't been signed yet. Therefore he's out the door. We will take massive unders. It's a disgrace. Sack everyone.

its relative

$700,000 in 3rd and 4th year is way to much.Perhaps the problem here is a greedy manager after his slice.

Swans board when player is out of contract

Pay him the $, give him the years

In a few years ohh where’s our cap , why’s this old guy on big money
Other half of Swans board when best 22 player is out of contract:

"Let him go. Can find those types of players through the draft"

After they leave:

"Why does X keep letting a game? Not AFL standard!!"

;)

Other half of Swans board when best 22 player is out of contract:

"Let him go. Can find those types of players through the draft"

After they leave:

"Why does X keep letting a game? Not AFL standard!!"

;)

Ha ha touché

And the third half go wow we suck at maths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To think if Parker wasnt rested in R23 2018 he would have had 4 B&Fs equal with Paul Kelly.

If kelly didn’t get hurt imagine how many he could have won :(

I think somewhere between 650-700 per year over 4 is fair for Parker. Anything over 700 and we'd be paying overs imo.

If we go at 700 per year. That would be 800 + 800 + 700 + 500 to roughly make his pay commensurate with his expected output in those years. To me, that's at the upper range of what we should be paying him.

I'm a huge fan, and think he should be rewarded for his contribution to the club.

The flip side, is if we're paying heeney more than 800 a season currently, we're overpaying. Sure he's a star in the making, but Parker's contribution over the last few years far outweighs heeneys. So at some point we need to bring salaries in line so we have a balance.

Parker has been rewarded with salary for his contribution to the club

He hasn’t been on match payments the last few years, the clubs made him skipper and paid him well, he should be willing to compromise as well imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back