Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

He will win the b and f again this year
Yeah, think he's had a better year this year than last imo. Had some more dominant performances but this year I think it's been his most consistent across a season.

He racks up alot of votes because of his durability

He racks up votes because he plays in the midfield the most and never misses plus has a crack

But if he is our best midfielder then we aren’t that good

Parker has been pretty solid this year. The problem is our midfield is so weak that we really need someone to elevate themselves to a really dominant #2 behind Kennedy, and a dominant #1 when Kennedy drops off. I don't think we can rely on Parker to reach those heights, but he's an effective contributor and still offers a lot to the team.

Last edited:
Parker has been pretty solid this year. The problem is our midfield is so weak that we really need someone to elevate themselves to a really dominant #2 behind Kennedy, and a dominant #1 when Kennedy drops off. I don't think we can rely on Parker to reach those heights, but he's an effective contributor and still offers a lot to the team.

Yep he is a good b grade player won’t ever be elite, but he is more consistent than ever

I reckon people are seriously undervaluing Parker. He was touted as a Brownlow favourite before one of the recent seasons and I think he'll definitely have a similar tag before one of the future seasons as well. He's an absolute jet, but like Kennedy as well, is struggling with carrying a midfield this year that has consisted of either ageing stars who are injured or young, slight-bodied wingers/half-forwards. Give another preseason to Heeney and Dawson (and hopefully get a fit Hanners) and you'll see Parker come back into that stellar form.

More players back won’t improve his disposal though
Bigger bodies in the midfield means better able to block for other players means Parker can get the ball in a bit more space means has more time to smartly dispose rather than hack it out with two players hanging off him. Kennedy similarly has had much worse disposal without the protection at the stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bigger bodies in the midfield means better able to block for other players means Parker can get the ball in a bit more space means has more time to smartly dispose rather than hack it out with two players hanging off him. Kennedy similarly has had much worse disposal without the protection at the stoppages.

Hope so

Agree he needs help

If Heeney can elevate like I believe he can on a more consistent basis and if we trade someone in

Yep. Great support act.

I was hoping he was going to be a Sloan or Sellwood type and be the man.

Everyone said it was Heeney that lifted against the Roos but if you go back and watch, the guy stepping into Kennedy’s role WAS Parker...he was immense and he was the one getting it to Heeney. He was great early against Essendon and that elbow injury he sustained against North is clearly bothering him.

Everyone said it was Heeney that lifted against the Roos but if you go back and watch, the guy stepping into Kennedy’s role WAS Parker...he was immense and he was the one getting it to Heeney. He was great early against Essendon and that elbow injury he sustained against North is clearly bothering him.

Just to clarify, it was versus tigers in a melee when a tiger player came in from nowhere and hyper extended his arm.

There was better vision, but this was the first i found and gives the gist

Just to clarify, it was versus tigers in a melee when a tiger player came in from nowhere and hyper extended his arm.

There was better vision, but this was the first i found and gives the gist

You are correct, thanks for that. I was thinking the North game was a little too recent.

Feel like the overrated/underrated pendulum is swinging back the other way.

He’s better than a b-grader. He’d get a game at every club. He’s just not in the uppermost echelon of players.

I guess it’s a question of what level a player you consider Rory Sloane to be. In terms of role and raw output (and size and draft position), Parker and Sloane are virtually identical players. Sloane’s field kicking is much better, which makes him a more valuable player, but his ball-winning ability, tackling, breakaway speed, etc are no different.

Last edited:
Feel like the overrated/underrated pendulum is swinging back the other way.

He’s better than a b-grader. He’d get a game at every club. He’s just not in the uppermost echelon of players.

I guess it’s a question of what level a player you consider Rory Sloane to be. In terms of role and raw output (and size and draft position), Parker and Sloane are virtually identical players. Sloane’s field kicking is much better, which makes him a more valuable player, but his ball-winning ability, tackling, breakaway speed, etc are no different.

Agreed. I've been a big critic of Parker's but only to the point that I was sick of commentators lauding him to be one of the very top echelon, which I would argue he has never been a part of.

But his 2018 has been laudable and I think he's appropriately rated now, and your Sloane comparison is really strong I think, Sloane I would argue being a slightly better midfielder (mainly due to his kicking) and Parker being a considerably better forward threat.

Have to be leading the Skillton by a fair bit I would think, by far our most consistent over a very tough year.

I though when Collingwood charged back he and McVeigh we most overt leaders out there saying no * this we aren’t losing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back