Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

I've always said the perfect time for a rebuild is when you have the greatest forward of the generation as the highest paid player in the game

Tired of this excuse, its just called poor list management.

Sydney have missed the boat overall with their list management in recent years imo, nothing wrong with pointing out that fact, when its work the club was lauded, but a lot of recent decisions look poor and yeah now spending 2 to 2.5 mill on two players and rebuilding lol

Most rubbish post I've read all day. You want to have a dig at a player but you want to take injury out of the equation. By that logic AJ has absolutely no reason to have not played a game for 5 years and should have been delisted long ago. Give me a break.

This makes as much sense as your previous 2,425 posts. Speaking of rubbish. I'm not having a dig at him I'm calling it as it is unlike you and all the other fools that have their Fan favourite Hats on. How do you know he is injured ? How do I know he's not ? We don't so it is taken as if he is fit if he is out their running around just like the rest of the more senior players who have not performed up to par this season, But your obviously connected to the club and have inside info or you are forming the opinion that he is injured based on what you are witnessing from your seat or TV because you are an expert of human anatomy and bio mechanics ? The AJ analogy is so stupid its embarrassing. Give you a break ? I will by not responding to your rot.

Ahh!
Sorry to spoil your fun boys & girls.

We have been rebuilding for two years now.
It's just that we happened to make a GF in the first year of a rebuild, Swans version!
A rebuild is when you blood a number of players to see what they can produce in tbe heat of battle. A couple didn't set the world on fire & were delisted or kept in the NEAFL & a few are developing nicely from the 2016 season & the introduction of a few new players has continued in 2017.

Believe it or not, we've dropped one game by a point & another one the other night by 6 points after losing a critical ball mover for all but 1 minute of the game & should we have won those games we'd be one game off 4th spot.

I repeat for those that are sort of in denial.
WE ARE IN A REBUILD!
Blooding 13 players or so in a season & a quarter is nothing but a rebuild.
Compare it to other teams & you will see.

Who cares what their highlight package is though? Does not mean much, what if we pull out videos of them in finals etc, Parker has had a poor year seems a legit discussion, does not mean people have pitch forks out, but he has been ordinary this season

Why is a club with buddy on a 9 year deal and tippett on big $ in a list rebuild anyway?

People want to discuss why the club is failing seems fair enough surely? If anything we have shown a club can have sustained success and has a strong culture, its good we do not accept a down year

Of course it is good to have high expectation when you are used to elite or high performance by your club and there is nothing wrong with questioning it. I agree Its not great to turn on players and especially ones who have been apart of driving that elite performance but there is nothing wrong with not excepting mediocrity and questioning why it is occurring. It is better than hearing the coach come out and praise a performance as being proud of their fighting spirit when they were beaten by a clearly undermanned inferior football team. Thought I was listening to
Damian ( They were Brave ) Hardwick. Longmire keeps that crap up and the culture of this club will change before you know it. Having said that self preservation in this caper will make some ridiculous statements come out of your mouth.

Ahh!

It's just that we happened to make a GF in the first year of a rebuild, Swans version!
A rebuild is when you blood a number of players to see what they can produce in tbe heat of battle. A couple didn't set the world on fire & were delisted or kept in the NEAFL & a few are developing nicely from the 2016 season & the introduction of a few new players has continued in 2017.

Believe it or not, we've dropped one game by a point & another one the other night by 6 points after losing a critical ball mover for all but 1 minute of the game & should we have won those games we'd be one game off 4th spot.

WE ARE IN A REBUILD!

Your talking about the critical ball mover LLoyd who people on here have bagged from pillar to post for his disposal ?:rolleyes:

Ahh!

A rebuild is when you blood a number of players to see what they can produce in tbe heat of battle. A couple didn't set the world on fire & were delisted or kept in the NEAFL & a few are developing nicely from the 2016 season & the introduction of a few new player has continued in 2017.

Belive it or not, we've dropped one game by a point & another one the other night by 6 points after losing a critical ball mover for all but 1 minute of the game & should we have won those games we'd be one game off 4th spot.

WE ARE IN A REBUILD!
Spot on.

Since Longmire was senior coach we've finished 7th, 3rd, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, after the home and away.

We lose a few games and a bunch of panty-wetters start wanting to sack Longmire, and now they want to trade Parker??? It literally boggles my mind that people can get so used to winning that a little hardship makes them throw their toys out of the cot.

Enjoy the season for what it brings. Cheer Buddy's goals. Watch the kids improve, game after game. Realise that we have these guys:
Heeney
Mills
Florent
Hayward

and every single one looks like they might be a solid a-grader. Not even mentioning Newman (who has impressed me massively) and Allir who also look like guns.

Our future is SO bright. I wouldn't trade our youth for any other club, we'll be up top for years. So if we have one bad year this year, so be it, suck it up! Our club has been through worse times, and we have better times ahead.

Ahh!

WE ARE IN A REBUILD!

Yep club messed up basically

A wise player once told me if a player is not performing to his usual standard he's usually playing injured. I'd say that's the case with Parker.

And you can go on about crossing that white line as much as you like. But at some point you need to acknowledge that some injuries will prevent a player from doing what they normally would be able to do. Simple as that really.

Does Parker still have a lot to prove? I'd say he does, but a form slump like this is usually the result of injury. He's not getting any clean breaks, he's not as evasive as he has been in the past. And it's not as if we're in a position where we can rest someone like Parker while racking up the wins.

He's doing his bit under the circumstances.

A wise player once told me if a player is not performing to his usual standard he's usually playing injured. I'd say that's the case with Parker.

And you can go on about crossing that white line as much as you like. But at some point you need to acknowledge that some injuries will prevent a player from doing what they normally would be able to do. Simple as that really.

Does Parker still have a lot to prove? I'd say he does, but a form slump like this is usually the result of injury. He's not getting any clean breaks, he's not as evasive as he has been in the past. And it's not as if we're in a position where we can rest someone like Parker while racking up the wins.

He's doing his bit under the circumstances.
Parker actually admitted it to Robbo on 360 the other night when pressed as to why some of our guns from last year were so bad. He mentioned his limited pre season after surgery.

This makes as much sense as your previous 2,425 posts. Speaking of rubbish. I'm not having a dig at him I'm calling it as it is unlike you and all the other fools that have their Fan favourite Hats on. How do you know he is injured ? How do I know he's not ? We don't so it is taken as if he is fit if he is out their running around just like the rest of the more senior players who have not performed up to par this season, But your obviously connected to the club and have inside info or you are forming the opinion that he is injured based on what you are witnessing from your seat or TV because you are an expert of human anatomy and bio mechanics ? The AJ analogy is so stupid its embarrassing. Give you a break ? I will by not responding to your rot.

You've read all 2426 of my posts? Over reacting to our rebuilding season, over reacting to my post. Sounds like you need a break. And to answer your question, yes I do have inside knowledge with Luke. I know his father and sister very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree with the sack everybody we're losing mentality, it's wrong.

Parker hasn't had a great season, that's a given. He is playing a role that isn't his best. He can play contested and he can certainly win the ball, but he is most definitely better on the outside that inside of the pack. Unless we find another contested beast he has to step up.

Over the years we've lost ROK and Mitchell, elite ball winners from that role. While Kennedy is still our best or 2nd best player, he was always better when he was well supported in the clinches and could occasionally move up the field to chf. We tried that earlier this year with Parker and Hannebery as our two ball winners.

If I remember correctly, we lost the first 6 matches of the season.

Your talking about the critical ball mover LLoyd who people on here have bagged from pillar to post for his disposal ?:rolleyes:

Who also happens to be recognised by opposition coaches as one of the best two way running, gut busting players currently playing.
One minute he's forward & next minute he's back. Very hard to match up on. One of the most improved players in our team & perhaps the best value player, pound for pound, on our list. We picked him up as a rookie along with Rampe & both players are becoming elite in their roles.
People can ridicule the club all they want but our recognition of certain qualities in players who have missed being drafted & then our development of them is nothing short of brilliant. It allows us to pay the big money to our 'stars' that we want to keep.
No doubt that we win some & lose some. as do others but none do it better than us.

Who cares what their highlight package is though? Does not mean much, what if we pull out videos of them in finals etc, Parker has had a poor year seems a legit discussion, does not mean people have pitch forks out, but he has been ordinary this season

Why is a club with buddy on a 9 year deal and tippett on big $ in a list rebuild anyway?

People want to discuss why the club is failing seems fair enough surely? If anything we have shown a club can have sustained success and has a strong culture, its good we do not accept a down year

Serious question here King! This goes for Punts & a few others as well.

Do you get ANY joy at all from following our club or are you purely looking at things as a "business", which would be odd because you don't actually get a financial gain from our "success" & perfect list management.
I don't mean this question in a bad way but just trying to understand why it seems a few of you guys get 5% enjoyment & 95% pain when watching our team play. Even forgetting whatever success we've had. Start from scratch! When following a sport or a club, you need to get some sort of enjoyment out of it without the constant stress, otherwise you need to change something in my opinion. Now I don't mean the in the heat commenting during games necessarily but analysis where nothing is rosy.......................EVER!

Just interested to know!

Serious question here King! This goes for Punts & a few others as well.

Do you get ANY joy at all from following our club or are you purely looking at things as a "business", which would be odd because you don't actually get a financial gain from our "success" & perfect list management.
I don't mean this question in a bad way but just trying to understand why it seems a few of you guys get 5% enjoyment & 95% pain when watching our team play. Even forgetting whatever success we've had. Start from scratch! When following a sport or a club, you need to get some sort of enjoyment out of it without the constant stress, otherwise you need to change something in my opinion. Now I don't mean the in the heat commenting during games necessarily but analysis where nothing is rosy.......................EVER!

Just interested to know!

Ted, I come here to discuss the club I love

I want to discuss them honestly and right now honestly they arent very good so whats wrong with that.

I am not sure why how I choose to follow a club has any affect on you or anyone else? if you just want to love the club blindly fine by me, I will follow every game, pay my membership every year enjoy watching young guys play, enjoy buddy but I will also say what I say. There is no stress

Seems like it just stresses you when people criticise the club, its odd

Ted, I come here to discuss the club I love

I want to discuss them honestly and right now honestly they arent very good so whats wrong with that.

I am not sure why how I choose to follow a club has any affect on you or anyone else? if you just want to love the club blindly fine by me, I will follow every game, pay my membership every year enjoy watching young guys play, enjoy buddy but I will also say what I say. There is no stress

Seems like it just stresses you when people criticise the club, its odd

Good stuff! No need to stress over this. Too many other things to worry about in life.
I don't stress on this mate.
I also don't follow blindly as you & others have repetitively spruiked on here but I'm by no means a back seat driver. I trust the club to be getting things generally right most of the time but am realistic in my expectations of a club that is still fighting a good fight in a non traditional AFL state & a club that has different difficulties to contend with in order to keep a healthy list such as the go home factor with more than 50% of it's list as opposed to a Vic, SA or WA club that has that problem with not more than 15% of their lists.

The teams that you really should compare us to are Brisbane firstly, who have really battled since their triple p'ships, & now GWS & GC who have been kissed on the balls annually by the AFL since their inception. Have a look at their retention ability though. They have also lost a heap to the Vic clubs mainly.
Of all teams in the AFL as it stands now, we are the team that has had to work hardest on list management, yet we get criticised for a few things we may get wrong. We are aggressive list managers & have ALWAYS been prepared to give something in order to get something which will help us to keep up with the tweak in rules & game styles year in year out.

Stress? No way! Follow blindly? No! Admire immensely ? Unashamedly yes!

Tired of this excuse, its just called poor list management.

Sydney have missed the boat overall with their list management in recent years imo, nothing wrong with pointing out that fact, when its work the club was lauded, but a lot of recent decisions look poor and yeah now spending 2 to 2.5 mill on two players and rebuilding lol
How have we missed the boat? The Tippet Franklin deals haven't had the desired effect of a flag, it has cost us in terms of squeezing out several players who for what its worth would have made stuff all difference in winning a premiership in those years.

We've got very good young players who are getting game time and i for one expect us to be back in contention next year. If our list management strategy is poor then who would you rate as better? Genuine question?

Having this thread defined as a Roast makes it harder to discuss anything rationally.

Pretty much self determines that someone will be offended whatever is posted.

Who also happens to be recognised by opposition coaches as one of the best two way running, gut busting players currently playing.
One minute he's forward & next minute he's back. Very hard to match up on. One of the most improved players in our team & perhaps the best value player, pound for pound, on our list. We picked him up as a rookie along with Rampe & both players are becoming elite in their roles.
People can ridicule the club all they want but our recognition of certain qualities in players who have missed being drafted & then our development of them is nothing short of brilliant. It allows us to pay the big money to our 'stars' that we want to keep.
No doubt that we win some & lose some. as do others but none do it better than us.

If you don't know what I was getting at forget it. It was not critical of the player. Maybe you should just keep defending the club to the death and keep making a buck or 2 backing against them because of the the weaknesses you know they have but are continually defending them on here if people dare have the temerity to mention them. I don't disagree with anything you have said in this post btw my only disagreements with your posts are usually when you defend the indefensable. Not everybody can be wrong all of the time.

You've read all 2426 of my posts? Over reacting to our rebuilding season, over reacting to my post. Sounds like you need a break. And to answer your question, yes I do have inside knowledge with Luke. I know his father and sister very well.

You call my opinion in a post rubbish I will react in any way I want regardless of you thinking it is Over reacting. Firstly I was not bagging Parker I was giving an opinion of what I have witnessed so far this season with a clear message of what I think of him and what I know he is capable of. Secondly If you know he is injured and is struggling because of it and you know it from first hand information because you are a family friend just say it because it puts it to bed and it is far from big noting or blowing your own trumpet if that is what your worried about. Sure the family or Luke probably don't want you to blurt it out on here as an excuse but calling somebody's opinion rubbish because they are saying what they are observing without knowing the facts is bullshit. I have no beef with you and you are entitled to your opinion obviously but now we are clear lets just say Parker has been rubbish this year compared to his normal standards because he is physically hampered by an injury and I will clear one more thing up and that is that in no way am I saying he is not trying.

Parker missed several critical tackles the other night which suggests to me something is not right with his body. It was the one thing that stood out to me more than any other.

Shame, he's a gun at his best and doesn't deserve the heat he's getting at the minute...

Parker missed several critical tackles the other night which suggests to me something is not right with his body. It was the one thing that stood out to me more than any other.

Shame, he's a gun at his best and doesn't deserve the heat he's getting at the minute...

We now officially know he is injured so he is out there having a go and thats all you can ask. Let's hope he gets back to his best at some stage in the second half of the year and takes it into 2018.

If you don't know what I was getting at forget it. It was not critical of the player. Maybe you should just keep defending the club to the death and keep making a buck or 2 backing against them because of the the weaknesses you know they have but are continually defending them on here if people dare have the temerity to mention them. I don't disagree with anything you have said in this post btw my only disagreements with your posts are usually when you defend the indefensable. Not everybody can be wrong all of the time.

Boy!
You got that off your chest!
I didn't think I was having a crack at you.
Oh well!
You telling me you didn't put a buck on the Hawks at $5.50 & $7 to win under 39 points?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back