Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if Prestia is out, it may come down to RCD vs Dow for that last spot in the midfield next week.

RCD's game was probably on par with what Dow has been giving us this year, but I think the difference is that we expect more from RCD because he's been around longer.

Rcd is younger than bolton and the same as stack.

He's still a kid and was a project player.

I don't reckon Dow being younger should factor they both potentially long term players

Last edited:
One swallow doesn't make a spring. Lucky the AFL didn't engrave Dean Polo's name on a dozen Brownlows after his debut. Didn't crack in and make the ball his or stream in demanding the ball regardless of what those running stats say. This game was a farce can't judge fairly on this game anyway.
Show me where I said he's made it and is a lock going forward. What I was addressing was the belief that he had no tank and didn't cover the ground. We can put that to bed now as he covered the second most for us, averaging the second highest average speed and worked hard to get back when we were on defence.

As I mentioned what he needs to do to become a lock moving forward is show that hunger for contested footy and the ability to get out in space to link up for easy uncontested possessions. Anyone expecting him to come in and dominate in his first couple of games for the season is kidding themselves. Was never going to happen, but what you want to see is signs that he can become the player we all hope he can become.

Last night we saw that IMO, but there is still work to do no doubt.

If RCD doesn't fix our clearance problem, then he's useless. Doesn't get into the right spots a lot of the time. At least Dow's running patterns are better.
All in on Brayshaw or Tom Greene I reckon. Sick of seeing Bolton carry us in clearances.

That’s a bizarre example to use for lack of hunger. They were both streaming forward and the ball bounced into Bolton’s lane. RCD would hardly be the 1st player done by Bolton for pace

If he had have dropped his head and stopped then maybe you’d have a point but he continued to sprint to provide an overlap option for Bolton. Shai didn’t use him but he busted a gut to ensure the option was there

Pushing yourself to do that sort of unrewarded running that benefits the team certainly doesn’t scream lack of hunger to me
Maybe it was in the 3rd or a different play in the 4th
I’d have to watch again,
I hope I’m wrong but at the time I know I said Jeeze cmon Riley attack it ffs

If RCD doesn't fix our clearance problem, then he's useless. Doesn't get into the right spots a lot of the time. At least Dow's running patterns are better.
All in on Brayshaw or Tom Greene I reckon. Sick of seeing Bolton carry us in clearances.
GREEN.

Only campaigners spell it Greene.

There midfielders not forwards. Talking about running patterns? I have heard it all

You're aware that RCD had second most clearances for us last night with 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a extremely good game last night from a team perspective . Bit bodied defensive mid who provided opportunity for offensive players to play more offensive .
Did a hell of a lot of running for a bloke with no tank as well

81C769F8-1B27-4150-8E10-3E14E685C884.jpeg 9DD20EED-46A9-49DC-82C3-441442678949.jpeg 5DCAD725-F00B-40FC-9E88-C90C5F0334F6.jpeg

He really went hard in the first 10-15 minutes - ball hunted and got to good spots. Had a few 'almost' moments, and overall an average game.
Still, sticking with my 'pen and line through the name' analogy, I've put the cap back on the pen. Need more evidence.
It will be an interesting call for the MC. Prestia will obviously play a role in the decision. And does Dusty play (likely), but perhaps as a forward (Stack out).
Shorty stays as a mid?
Dow coming back straight in?
Pickett?
Big decisions.
RCD may go back and be told 'now go and rack up 30+ in the VFL.

Did a hell of a lot of running for a bloke with no tank as well

View attachment 1387686View attachment 1387687View attachment 1387688
As I said last night, the myth that he has no tank has been put to rest, clearly he does. Next step is to win more of the ball in both contested & uncontested situations, but to also understand that his size is weapon that can wreak havoc in the contest in either allowing him to win possession or to create space for teammates, which I thought he did quite often last night which helped spring guys like Bolton Prestia & Short in the middle of the ground. Sometimes you don't always have to win possession to have a major impact in the outcome of a contest. I'd like to see him keep playing but with who is coming back into the side next week I can understand why they may send him back to the VFL.

He really went hard in the first 10-15 minutes - ball hunted and got to good spots. Had a few 'almost' moments, and overall an average game.
Still, sticking with my 'pen and line through the name' analogy, I've put the cap back on the pen. Need more evidence.
It will be an interesting call for the MC. Prestia will obviously play a role in the decision. And does Dusty play (likely), but perhaps as a forward (Stack out).
Shorty stays as a mid?
Dow coming back straight in?
Pickett?
Big decisions.
RCD may go back and be told 'now go and rack up 30+ in the VFL.
Yeah fair assessment
I would say it was an okay game

Did a lot of work by his running numbers but would like to see some reward for the effort

When he does get his hands on it especially in space he’s a great kick and also good in tight with his hands

Might get squeezed outs by the ins but wouldn’t hate it if he kept his spot

You're aware that RCD had second most clearances for us last night with 5

Only Shuey and Bolton had more clearances than him from both teams, he also had the equal highest stoppage clearances of all players from both teams.

Some very good stats there and puts to bed a few claims about not running fast or long enough or defensively etc
Kid needs games to adjust and gain confidence.

We have 4-5 automatic list spots opening up this year and the possibility of the list going back to pre pandemic level
He gets 1 more year for me.
Agree 100%
1 year rookie contract wouldn’t be a bad outcome

As I said last night, the myth that he has no tank has been put to rest, clearly he does. Next step is to win more of the ball in both contested & uncontested situations, but to also understand that his size is weapon that can wreak havoc in the contest in either allowing him to win possession or to create space for teammates, which I thought he did quite often last night which helped spring guys like Bolton Prestia & Short in the middle of the ground. Sometimes you don't always have to win possession to have a major impact in the outcome of a contest. I'd like to see him keep playing but with who is coming back into the side next week I can understand why they may send him back to the VFL.

I think you might be confusing Kms covered with availability and effectiveness. We are basically on the same page with him, I support your support - HOWEVER, what worried the most last night is that he does not appear to be enjoying his footy - outwardly at least.

Happy to be very wrong, but, I did not see him smile.
Happy to be very wrong, but, I saw teammates overlook him as an outlet too often.
Happy to be very wrong, but, I reckon those Kms covered were mostly jogging wide of the contested zones.
Happy to be very wrong, but, only saw a couple of teammates genuinely engage with him.

Happy to be correct - he has an outstanding tackling technique, that is his Ace in the pack.
Happy to be correct - his passing is strong and direct.

Clearly he is a quieter sort of guy, but anyone who has played footy long enough will know that out there is where you manufacture your game mateship. I'm not convinced he has the same connections as at VFL, and even then...........

He has some great hard skills, but is soft skills are lacking at the moment for whatever reason. I'm with all the blokes on here saying give him a block of games to get some mates and memories happening. He's still in investment mode, but that can't happen back at VFL. That said, you also don't want games being gifted because that rankles teammates just as much as they bust their gut to get ready for the step up (Sonsie anyone?)

Agree 100%
1 year rookie contract wouldn’t be a bad outcome
He and Dow are our is the missing link for us to to give this year a very serious tilt . They come on and get on a good run they completely alter the dynamic of our midfield . Bigger bodied mids who not only create a defensive edge but are also able to clear space for blokes like Bolton but also compete in the air .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back