Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

RCD had a great game, he needs AFL time to develop, cant be playing him in the twos if we want him to reach the next level.

Pretty simple,
Edwards out. Replaced by Pickett or Dow ......or Dusty.

Leave team pretty much as is.
Cotchin and Martin to return means at least 2 changes, with Pickett Tarrant & Dow also to come under consideration. Some unlucky guys to get omitted through no fault of their own.
I think you might be confusing Kms covered with availability and effectiveness. We are basically on the same page with him, I support your support - HOWEVER, what worried the most last night is that he does not appear to be enjoying his footy - outwardly at least.

Happy to be very wrong, but, I did not see him smile.
Happy to be very wrong, but, I saw teammates overlook him as an outlet too often.
Happy to be very wrong, but, I reckon those Kms covered were mostly jogging wide of the contested zones.
Happy to be very wrong, but, only saw a couple of teammates genuinely engage with him.

Happy to be correct - he has an outstanding tackling technique, that is his Ace in the pack.
Happy to be correct - his passing is strong and direct.

Clearly he is a quieter sort of guy, but anyone who has played footy long enough will know that out there is where you manufacture your game mateship. I'm not convinced he has the same connections as at VFL, and even then...........

He has some great hard skills, but is soft skills are lacking at the moment for whatever reason. I'm with all the blokes on here saying give him a block of games to get some mates and memories happening. He's still in investment mode, but that can't happen back at VFL. That said, you also don't want games being gifted because that rankles teammates just as much as they bust their gut to get ready for the step up (Sonsie anyone?)
As I've said repeatedly, he needs to develop the ability to win both contested & uncontested possessions to have the kind of impact that we want to see from him. The point regarding the KM covered was to show that the belief that he had no tank is untrue. Secondly he was smiling plenty of times last night when he got around teammates who had scored a goal and a lot of young players get overlooked in their early games as outlets as players often go on instinct to the proven teammate, but as they play more games and teammates become more confident in them as they see them do the things they aren't sure they can do first up.

As a work in progress having played just 11 career games I'm happy with where he is at, if he happens to get the chance to stay in the side and build confidence I believe we will see steady improvement from Riley just like we saw with Dow Ralphsmith & Gibcus this year.
And spent a fair bit of time on their only genuine star in Kelly at the stoppages
The work they've done on him playing as a defensive midfielder at the VFL level showed through with his ability to be accountable for an opponent most of the night.

The problem with Riley is he just doesn't do anything very well. There's no outstanding element to his game that you can really build on.
That might be fine as a first year project player drafted for their physical attributes but by year 4 you want to see the makings of an AFL level footballer.
Things Riley needs to develop: an inside game, an outside game, reading the play, decision making, over head marking, attack on the footy, athleticism.
That's a hell of a lot of big boxes left unchecked when we could draft or recruit someone who'd walk in with more strings to their bow.
Just can't see an AFL footballer with Riley. Wish it weren't so.

Cotchin and Martin to return means at least 2 changes, with Pickett Tarrant & Dow also to come under consideration. Some unlucky guys to get omitted through no fault of their own.

As I've said repeatedly, he needs to develop the ability to win both contested & uncontested possessions to have the kind of impact that we want to see from him. The point regarding the KM covered was to show that the belief that he had no tank is untrue. Secondly he was smiling plenty of times last night when he got around teammates who had scored a goal and a lot of young players get overlooked in their early games as outlets as players often go on instinct to the proven teammate, but as they play more games and teammates become more confident in them as they see them do the things they aren't sure they can do first up.

As a work in progress having played just 11 career games I'm happy with where he is at, if he happens to get the chance to stay in the side and build confidence I believe we will see steady improvement from Riley just like we saw with Dow Ralphsmith & Gibcus this year.

The work they've done on him playing as a defensive midfielder at the VFL level showed through with his ability to be accountable for an opponent most of the night.
Thats the problem with that.... How are our young guys going to develop if we can't make room for them.

3k & 3hb and 2 tackles - needs to be his baseline, not his best qtr. His ace is his tackling atm, needs more ball - kicks beautifully for the most part.
Yes and no. Long term yes. At the moment though, our regular experienced mids aren't averaging 24 possies a game. Biggest issue I can see is believing he belongs at the level. Stick with him and Stack imo.

Thats the problem with that.... How are our young guys going to develop if we can't make room for them.
Like it has always been... They play so well they simply can't be dropped. If he'd racked up 25+ and a goal and a few assists, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The established senior players play as they have more impact - Cotch and Dusty play.

So it's possible he goes straight back the 2s until another senior mid gets injured, or he demands to be picked by dominating week in week out in games in the 2s and is seen as a better alternative to one of the senior players in the position he plays.

Right now - Cotch Dusty Bolton Prestia with now Short also in the mix. We are out to win every week so who is he better than in that group?

Graham maybe could be rested without too much or a impact differential.

Edwards is perhaps another he could replace, but Shedda isn't spending much time as a pure mid now. If Aarts were to come in, now you are right - development should then be prioritised. I personally think he did enough to show he is above the Aarts level (not too hard!!)

The problem with Riley is he just doesn't do anything very well. There's no outstanding element to his game that you can really build on.
That might be fine as a first year project player drafted for their physical attributes but by year 4 you want to see the makings of an AFL level footballer.
Things Riley needs to develop: an inside game, an outside game, reading the play, decision making, over head marking, attack on the footy, athleticism.
That's a hell of a lot of big boxes left unchecked when we could draft or recruit someone who'd walk in with more strings to their bow.
Just can't see an AFL footballer with Riley. Wish it weren't so.

His kicking is spot on doesn't waste his kick.

From oney eyed tiger forum.

RCD's second game back. What did we think of his game last night?

16 disposals (5k, 11h, 7c, 9u, 68.8% eff.)
2 marks
4 tackles
5 clearances (2 centre clearances)
1 inside 50
1 intercept
134 metres gained
2 score involvements
1 goal assist
82% time on ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was the first time when I thought, 'Okay, now I can see why he was drafted' I dont think he's an out and out star but to me looks like the kind of kid who will develop into a reliable B grade mid fielder.
But he looks like a kid who is still unsure of the game style and needs his confidence to grow.
His kicking is sound and he hits the packs hard.
Not many footballer's careers run in a nice even trajectory...there's always peaks and troughs along the way. Some kids accelerate through their early years then fade, others seemingly plod along then blossom. Others mature and have long careers that never seem to end, while some reach great heights then fall apart seemingly overnight. I have high hopes for this kid.

From oney eyed tiger forum.

RCD's second game back. What did we think of his game last night?

16 disposals (5k, 11h, 7c, 9u, 68.8% eff.)
2 marks
4 tackles
5 clearances (2 centre clearances)
1 inside 50
1 intercept
134 metres gained
2 score involvements
1 goal assist
82% time on ground

Also....

: Most tackles for Richmond
: Most defensive half pressure acts for Richmond
: Most stoppage clearances of all players
: Highest average speed in defence of all players

: Third highest average speed of all players
:Third highest distance covered of all players
: Third most spoils for Richmond
: 5th most pressure acts for Richmond

Like it has always been... They play so well they simply can't be dropped. If he'd racked up 25+ and a goal and a few assists, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The established senior players play as they have more impact - Cotch and Dusty play.

So it's possible he goes straight back the 2s until another senior mid gets injured, or he demands to be picked by dominating week in week out in games in the 2s and is seen as a better alternative to one of the senior players in the position he plays.

Right now - Cotch Dusty Bolton Prestia with now Short also in the mix. We are out to win every week so who is he better than in that group?

Edwards is perhaps another he could replace, but Shedda isn't spending much time as a pure mid now. If Aarts were to come in, now you are right - development should then be prioritised. I personally think he did enough to show he is above the Aarts level (not too hard!!)
Arts shows spirit... But RCD showed some deeper qualities, something you can build a team with. We really need to turn a corner.............. Our playing style over the last 4 years got us 3 flags but also prematurely ages our players.

Our playing style over the last four years has prematurely aged our playing group.. So it's no surprise that we are a little bit cooked. Only way to get past that is to have fresh players come into the team. Because without that we have no future and we we need a major rebuild.

Can't understand anyone potting RCD after his game. It was a par score. Did some good work, could do better. But it was his first game in the midfield for the year and he will be better off for it. Different game next week v Collingwood on a big Sat. afternoon. Let's hope he steps up again, he will have gained a fair amount of confidence from that game which is vital for young players.

Will Brodie is a great example of patience vs impatience. At freo he's excelled and become the player everyone thought. Sun's chucked him out the door and would be filthy seeing what he's doing now.

Stay the course with RCD

I doubt anyone is privy to his personal game and season (development) instructions. Certainly, he covered ground, provided pressure at the ball, supplied cover and outlet for mid ball carriers. Was that his job on the day? Was he asked to to rack up Cripps like stats as an 11 gamer? More likely he was tasked with acts that contributed to getting clean ball into the hands of Short and Bolton.

Really harsh, that others think that a rookie senior playing his first game back and 11th game in should have no more career. What a shocker of an opinion that is. RCD like most of his team mates are not expected to rack up possessions. 30+ is not the game plan.

Harsh that a player fighting for a position in the team and probably asked to play a midfield pressure role that clearly, clearly has not been done well by his team this season thus far, is expected also to be the life of the party. The reserved nature of RCD may well have been due to him concentrating on his team tasks for the full duration of the match. I would not expect him to be comfortable given Prestia could only play 55% of the match.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think RCD quietly had a good game.

Needs to win more contests and get his hand on the ball more, but he attended the most centre bounces for us, which might be signs that the coaching team is going to persist with him. Also, with Short, Prestia and Bolton all in the centre bounces with RCD at various times, probably understandable why he didn't win a lot of the ball.

Equal second in clearances for us, made the equal highest amount of tackles, and made 3rd most pressure acts.

His first disposal, where he made a forward handball to Prestia instead of bombing it long (which was what I thought was going to happen) shows a bit of maturity in his game that I didn't think he had considering he hasn't played a lot of AFL games.

There's still plenty to work with over the coming weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back