Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

By Hardwick
Why do you say that. When Soldo came into the side Nank was battling groin/abductor issues which took away his jump and power. Then an ankle injury. Since he has been fully fit he has become first choice (I think). Sure Soldo lost a year, but at full strength Nank offers so much more in my opinion, can't speak for Hardwick. I think they should be played together especially against the good ruckmen. Both could even be rested for a week at some stage in the season as ruckman surely carry injuries. Nank gives average ruckman a pasting and evens against most good rucks, like he did against Gawn this year and last (evening against Gawn is not letting him dominate, not necessarily beating him).

The stats may say one thing but most of RCD’s possessions were like a bloke standing in the right spot and then gets an easy possession… the kid (actually sorry he’s ******* 22) ran into a HTB situation and really we were lucky it wasn’t paid against us. Graham is 10x the player and is probably our worst best 22 mid.
This is a trash take. If there’s one thing RCD actually struggles with it’s getting the easy outside ball. If he could get those five extra outside cheapies then he’d be getting a touch over twenty possies a game and no one would be questioning him at all

Calling that play running into a HTB is as glass half empty as it gets. He backed in his speed and size which we need him to do, when he was caught he managed to dish the ball off instead of dropping it and Shai kicked a goal from that handball. If anything that sort of play is what someone with his skill set should be encouraged to do. The commentators harped on about holding the ball but when Cripps does the exact same thing they go on about what a bull he is

This is a trash take. If there’s one thing RCD actually struggles with it’s getting the easy outside ball. If he could get those five extra outside cheapies then he’d be getting a touch over twenty possies a game and no one would be questioning him at all

Calling that play running into a HTB is as glass half empty as it gets. He backed in his speed and size which we need him to do, when he was caught he managed to dish the ball off instead of dropping it and Shai kicked a goal from that handball. If anything that sort of play is what someone with his skill set should be encouraged to do. The commentators harped on about holding the ball but when Cripps does the exact same thing they go on about what a bull he is
You do realise that he played his first game for the year as a mid. Maybe he will this week or next start getting those few more possessions and playing with a bit more dare, but it's a bit harsh to be criticising him on a sample of one game. He should gain some confidence from his game against WC, so let's hope he starts coming out of his shell a bit. Time will tell.

You do realise that he played his first game for the year as a mid. Maybe he will this week or next start getting those few more possessions and playing with a bit more dare, but it's a bit harsh to be criticising him on a sample of one game. He should gain some confidence from his game against WC, so let's hope he starts coming out of his shell a bit. Time will tell.
Oh I’m not critical of him not getting those cheap possessions. I’d prefer him to keep doing what he’s doing and focussing on those hard clearance possessions than looking to pad his stats on the outside when we have other players better suited to that role

Oh I’m not critical of him not getting those cheap possessions. I’d prefer him to keep doing what he’s doing and focussing on those hard clearance possessions than looking to pad his stats on the outside when we have other players better suited to that role
Me too, but commentary on him, not necessarily by you to me is strange. He has had good preseason and which might have gone a good way to fixing his lack of fitness, a genuine area of concern, and now 1 game proper into a new season there is new criticism, good and bad. I just think it strange that people are backing him or writing him off after one game.

Keep him in, looked pretty decent and extracts the ball. He gets looked off (rightly so) for better users going towards goal but we should persist with the guy. I'm happy that there is some rotation through where Dow, Ross and RCD come through the mids. Even using the medisub as a way to rest our older mids and giving them a crack in the middle.

Too much love on here for a player that even struggles to execute a Conca Cuddle.;)

It's his Conca Cuddling that is his Ace up the sleeve at the moment ;)

Me too, but commentary on him, not necessarily by you to me is strange. He has had good preseason and which might have gone a good way to fixing his lack of fitness, a genuine area of concern, and now 1 game proper into a new season there is new criticism, good and bad. I just think it strange that people are backing him or writing him off after one game.

You can't understand people backing him or writing him off???? That's the entire gamut of human nature as a fan. ;)

You can't understand people backing him or writing him off???? That's the entire gamut of human nature as a fan. ;)
Yes, at the end of the season, or even half way through. We've had a good look at players like Aarts who has gotten the best out of himself and is at best handy, but with someone like RCD we don't really know what his level is yet.

Of course you could be winding me up.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with people focusing on how happy he looks or how much he is apparently enjoying playing?

What an odd and silly trend
I think you need to take a break from the keyboard if you couldn't see I was taking the piss out of those comments being made. That's only if you were referring to me.

Yes, at the end of the season, or even half way through. We've had a good look at players like Aarts who has gotten the best out of himself and is at best handy, but with someone like RCD we don't really know what his level is yet.

Of course you could be winding me up.....

Me? Never Grrr. I leave that to the likes of Marcel Marceau.....

He's not a first year player, he's a credentialed 1st Round pick from a few years ago, so I get that some are being impatient. Not everyone is a student of the game. While we all watch the same thing, our filters and expectations are a touch different. As I've said to you a couple of times on this subject, I'm in the camp that wants him to get a block of games. That said, the Club is about winning and they may just figure while there are games to be won there might be better options.

It will be interesting to see whether he holds up his spot this week against Collingwood - that will tell us plenty about the expectations

Rcd was a star in the VFL in his first year including playing a really significant part in a grand final win . Don’t underestimate how big a impact covid and literally no footy for those within vfl has had , particularly those who had more development .
Sonsie looks like ending up a Tom Mitchell high possession lesser impact per possession type whereas RCD is high impact low possession .
Star?!?! Lol

Rcd was a star in the VFL in his first year including playing a really significant part in a grand final win . Don’t underestimate how big a impact covid and literally no footy for those within vfl has had , particularly those who had more development .
Sonsie looks like ending up a Tom Mitchell high possession lesser impact per possession type whereas RCD is high impact low possession .
Wow, hope I live long enough to see that premonition through - big call - love a man with the courage of his own convictions (or a fool who opens his mouth and removes all doubt) ;)

So with that comment about RCD being a star, I thought I'd go and look up the Guinane Medalist for 2019 and was genuinely expecting to see him somewhere in the top 10 - nope, not a sausage! I do recall his game in the grannie being a very good game though!

1651460109466.png

He was probably 11th I'll guess.

Me? Never Grrr. I leave that to the likes of Marcel Marceau.....

He's not a first year player, he's a credentialed 1st Round pick from a few years ago, so I get that some are being impatient. Not everyone is a student of the game. While we all watch the same thing, our filters and expectations are a touch different. As I've said to you a couple of times on this subject, I'm in the camp that wants him to get a block of games. That said, the Club is about winning and they may just figure while there are games to be won there might be better options.

It will be interesting to see whether he holds up his spot this week against Collingwood - that will tell us plenty about the expectations
He had that block of games last season 6 in a row for a total of 9.

I agree with your assessment that we are in a situation of needing to win games so his next chance may have to wait.

Wow, hope I live long enough to see that premonition through - big call - love a man with the courage of his own convictions (or a fool who opens his mouth and removes all doubt) ;)

So with that comment about RCD being a star, I thought I'd go and look up the Guinane Medalist for 2019 and was genuinely expecting to see him somewhere in the top 10 - nope, not a sausage! I do recall his game in the grannie being a very good game though!

View attachment 1389900

He was probably 11th I'll guess.
His GF was good but in his previous three finals games he averaged 8 disposals per game.

He had that block of games last season 6 in a row for a total of 9.

I agree with your assessment that we are in a situation of needing to win games so his next chance may have to wait.

Yep, so you hope another block shows development - plenty of time deeper into the season

1651461600134.png

Pickett did well to win it without being top 10 (??)
Only played a couple of games - was a mid-season draftee with a smashed hand - but I know you are across all that......

Yep, so you hope another block shows development - plenty of time deeper into the season

View attachment 1389925
Well Dusty will be underdone and probably not play much midfield, well not the in and under stuff and will be used off the bench and forward line quite a bit you'd think. Cotchin can do that, but RCD might be better off doing the grunt work. With Prestia gone there is a need for it. Short will stay, so it will be interesting who goes and who stays.

Reckon Edwards might get the sub, so will RCD make way for Pickett? Not really like for like.

His GF was good but in his previous three finals games he averaged 8 disposals per game.

Tbf he was named in the bests in the prelim:

Q1
Q2Q3Q4
Richmond5.3-337.6-488.12-6014.15-99
Port Melbourne3.2-207.6-489.9-6310.13-73

Richmond​

Goal Kickers:C. Menadue 3, M. Chol 2, P. Naish 2, O. Markov 2, D. Butler, L. English, M. Weller, C. Moore, J. Aarts
Best Players:C. Menadue, R. Garthwaite, M. Weller, C. Coleman-Jones, R. Collier-Dawkins, O. Markov

Port Melbourne​

Goal Kickers:J. Lisle 2, E. Templeton 2, J. Gasper 2, E. Phillips, I. Conway, M. Signorello, K. Haretuku
Best Players:J. Blair, M. Wenn, M. Arnot, H. Hooper, E. Templeton, D. Johnstone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back