Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we could recruit any player from a lower tier that would provide more than RCD will year in year out, it’s his lack of composure, ball winning and awareness that worries me, guys like Bont and Cripps were racking it up at his age, I don’t really want a long term project player from that early in the draft.

I thought he got into some good situations and positions in close tonight. In the clinches. Yeah, ok he got caught a bit but he’s hardly had any experience at that level in those situations.

Pretty sure the more runs we get into him at that level, the better he’s gonna get.

Interesting from Jack R in a interview a couple of weeks ago saying RCD had dropped a couple of kgs over summer to boost his running capacity. Obviously the club places endurance over the bigger inside player .
Still looks pretty skinny when standing at the centre bounces, probably needs another 2 good preseasons to get a proper AFL build

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we could recruit any player from a lower tier that would provide more than RCD will year in year out, it’s his lack of composure, ball winning and awareness that worries me, guys like Bont and Cripps were racking it up at his age, I don’t really want a long term project player from that early in the draft.
Pick 20 ?? He didnt have the Bont like talent to be selected top 4

I really liked the glimpses of what RCD showed tonight, 1st game at the level and a slow burn thats nearly ready to slot into the best 22
Kid is strong through the hips and his burst is exciting to watch. seemed to feel confident to do the things he did at juniors

I like it

Strong teams have forever had guys held back for years due to depth and they develop in the twos, start later than their contemporaries at a senior level, and often end up better overall players. It’s still about the long game with these blokes.
And consider also they’ve just had a season off when fighting fit which would have been bloody tough and a real kick in the guts for development

Last edited:
He's very raw and still skinny, but for me he's a still a development player but with good potential. He needs games, but he might not be quite ready. If there's a way we can get him 10-15 this year it will help his preseason enormously and then 2022 I have real hopes.

Jack Ross is 100% the one to watch for 2021.

8 touches in a half isnt too bad. Showed some strength when being tackled at times which I was happy to see. In one play he fended off a player and took off unaware that another player was closing on him and he got caught - that was pure VFL vs AFL speed. In the VFL he wouldve got away and looked great, at AFL theres so much less time. He needs to be exposed at the highest level more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's very raw and still skinny, but for me he's a still a development player but with good potential. He needs games, but he might not be quite ready. If there's a way we can get him 10-15 this year it will help his preseason enormously and then 2022 I have real hopes.

Jack Ross is 100% the one to watch for 2021.
10-15 games would be ideal but RCD
be lucky to play half that. Jack Ross has already established himself over a few seasons.

8 touches in a half isnt too bad. Showed some strength when being tackled at times which I was happy to see. In one play he fended off a player and took off unaware that another player was closing on him and he got caught - that was pure VFL vs AFL speed. In the VFL he wouldve got away and looked great, at AFL theres so much less time. He needs to be exposed at the highest level more

He didn't even play a half

They weren’t playing in premiership teams. We can afford to give our young players 2-3 years in the twos

Solid first hitout at the highest level even if it was a glorified scratch match. Got caught a couple of times, but in some instances was still able to keep his feet and feed out a handball. Played 39% of game time, had it 8 times but was ranked 3rd overall for pressure acts with 19, beaten by Graham & Lambert who both played more than double the amount of game time. Plenty to work with moving forward and will only get better with experience.

Not every player bursts onto the scene straight away, we always knew that RCD was going to need some development, one year of which was pretty much wiped out as he wasn't able to play proper games at the lower level.
You're holding him to ridiculously high standards

u know a player is doomed when campaigners start saying "has all the tools"

You know a player is a future gun when you start calling for his delisting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back