Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid first hitout at the highest level even if it was a glorified scratch match. Got caught a couple of times, but in some instances was still able to keep his feet and feed out a handball. Played 39% of game time, had it 8 times but was ranked 3rd overall for pressure acts with 19, beaten by Graham & Lambert who both played more than double the amount of game time. Plenty to work with moving forward and will only get better with experience.
The pressure he applies is what I noticed first playing in the VFL. For 3 season we watch Graham pretty much do the same and is only now starting to get his offensive side working (apart from his 5th game). 8 possies in 39% game time doesn't sound to shabby.

10-15 games would be ideal but RCD
be lucky to play half that. Jack Ross has already established himself over a few seasons.
Got a feeling Ross might be out of favour atm
Didn’t really set the world on fire in the first practice game and wasn’t even named for this one with no injurys that I’m aware of

Might see RCD get the first crack if a spot opens up in the midfield

Didn’t really set the world on fire in the first practice game and wasn’t even named for this one with no injurys that I’m aware of

I meant, we know Ross can play well. I didn't think he was bad in the practice game. But if RCD is selected ahead of him great. Ross is already a known quantity. Getting RCD to that level would be great.

Agree with many here, I saw enough to say that he can make it.

One thing though, I think he should be building up some muscle rather than losing weight. He doesn’t appear to be an ectomorph that builds strength with a thin frame like Grimes, so I think he should use that to his advantage by bulking up a bit. He showed some good signs in how he reads the play, his decision-making and the places he was getting to. Only thing I felt he lacked to successfully pull it off was strength and size (easy problem to fix).

One more preseason and I think he’ll be ready to be a mainstay at the club. I think he should be in and out of the side this year, gaining some valuable experience along the way.

Agree with many here, I saw enough to say that he can make it.

One thing though, I think he should be building up some muscle rather than losing weight. He doesn’t appear to be an ectomorph that builds strength with a thin frame like Grimes, so I think he should use that to his advantage by bulking up a bit. He showed some good signs in how he reads the play, his decision-making and the places he was getting to. Only thing I felt he lacked to successfully pull it off was strength and size (easy problem to fix).

One more preseason and I think he’ll be ready to be a mainstay at the club. I think he should be in and out of the side this year, gaining some valuable experience along the way.
Our fitness staff seem to prefer having our players develop the required running capacity before putting on size. Without being an expert in this area, it probably seems like a safer way to put on size rather than trying to bulk up and then try to teach the required running capacity. You used to see injuries like Osteitis pubis in players who had an imbalance of strength in their core from trying to put on too much bulk. You don't really see injuries like that these days.

The thing I noticed about Riley was that he didn't always make the best decision and a few times ran straight into tackles, but he always seemed to have the ability to stay standing and get the handball out.

Quite impressive considering he's still building muscle/core strength.

He is going to break through tackles

Unfortunately it looks like jack ross has little chance of getting a game this year now rcd as shot ahead of him as well as martyn and dow .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we could recruit any player from a lower tier that would provide more than RCD will year in year out, it’s his lack of composure, ball winning and awareness that worries me, guys like Bont and Cripps were racking it up at his age, I don’t really want a long term project player from that early in the draft.

Ball winning in a contest is great. There were SO many times last night where he was 15m clear of his opponent in space and the team ignored him for a long down the line kick.

Sometimes someone's lack of disposal numbers isn't down to them not being able to find the ball. It' about them not being used when in good positions.

8 touches in a half isnt too bad. Showed some strength when being tackled at times which I was happy to see. In one play he fended off a player and took off unaware that another player was closing on him and he got caught - that was pure VFL vs AFL speed. In the VFL he wouldve got away and looked great, at AFL theres so much less time. He needs to be exposed at the highest level more

Saw that contest. Was a little unlucky that the player who got him was behind the player he busted through the the tackle from. Would not have had the chance to ser him and Dusty has been done like that multiple times throughout his career. Was just pure bad luck than anything.

One amazing trait he has is similar to Dusty and Cotch, he is strong through the hips and hard to bring down so always has a chance to get the handball out. Several times last night he was able to keep his feet in a tackle and get a handball away. Good trait to have in a midfielder.

Got the feeling Ross is the known quantity. Wanted to see what RCD and Martyn could do. Ross has had exposed AFL form. The other 2 haven't.

Did some good things, and also looked at times like he tried a bit much and the pace of the game got away from him.

He'll learn, adapt, and then we'll get a better idea of what he can produce regularly.

Certainly worth a position near the head of the queue when spots open up.

Last edited:
See him like a Clayton Oliver type player.

Tetley Tiger

See him like a Clayton Oliver type player.

Tetley Tiger

More of a Claytons Oliver to me.

Strong teams have forever has guys held back for years due to depth and they develop in the twos, start later than their contemporaries at a senior level, and often end up better overall players. It’s still about the long game with these blokes.
And consider also they’ve just had a season off when fighting fit which would have been bloody tough and a real kick in the guts for development
Hawthorn during their recent glory years are the best example of that

Needs game time. Could potentially come on really quickly if given the opportunity. Prefer to play a kid like him over a limited Aarts.

Going by Dimma's post gamer, he might see that differently!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back